Reaction score
Articles
Member of
Double Rifle Shooter's Society, Life NAHC, NRA,SCI
Hunted
Us, Canada,Zambia, Zimbabwe, South America
Double Rifle Misconceptions

watermark.php

The mention of barrel harmonics though it does exist it is not a basic factor where double rifles are concerned. Individual barrel harmonics do not play a much part in the regulations, and is not important in a double rifle. The reason is the barrels are tied together and are thus basically inert to the way harmonics play a BIG part in a single barrel rifle. This is just one of the misconceptions where double rifles are concerned!

What does effect regulation is barrel time, and the recoil flip of the barrel set!

That is one the most often misrepresentations about double rifles that one reads from some of the writers that should know better. Of course it really isn't always their fault, because most were told wrong by well-known custom gunsmiths, who didn't know better either. There are a few double gun, and now double rifle magazines and quarterlies that still make some of these misrepresentations. Those are lax in editing of contributors for factual claims. Some just slip through because the editor doesn't know either.

#1 Is that most people think that a double rifle is useful only at very short range.

This is one of the most often misconceptions printed in magazines and book by some of the best-known writers, and in articles, and hunting reports by respected worldwide hunters. This issued as a reason why the writer doesn't use a double rifle when hunting dangerous game.

This is simply not true, and the double rifle properly regulated by the maker, and using the proper regulating loads, is just as accurate as any hunting rifle having the same type sights. If the double is fitted with a fixed rear sight, and multiple flip-ups for longer range then all the hunter has to do is practice with those sights at the ranges engraved on them.

#2 Is that a double rifle's flight path crosses at a given distance because fixing the barrels to converge from chamber to the muzzle regulates the barrels.

[COLOR:RED]The convergence of the barrels is necessary to make the rifle shoot side by side on the target, at the distance engraved on any of the flip-up sights no matter what range that happens to be.[/COLOR] The fact is, if the rifle was regulated properly by the maker, and the loads being shot are the proper load for that rifle, then the centers of each barrel's individual group will be on it's own side of the aiming point no matter the range. Of course, as with any rifle, if the barrel of any rifle is shooting one-inch groups at 100 yds, then it will be shooting two in groups at 200 yds. So this means with a double rifle some of the bullets in a group will spill over into the group from the other barrel. However the centers of each barrel's individual group will remain parallel to that of the other barrel. This is the first mistake that is made by folks who are unschooled in the way a double rifle works, believing that a double rifle crossed at a given range so would be useless from that point on down range!

#3 A double rifle is no good for North American hunting, only for dangerous game in Africa, and India.

The double rifle is the only rifle ever made that started life as a HUNTING rifle! All others began life as a war weapon. Though the double rifles were pressed into war use it was a specialized use to shoot through walls that hid snipers, but then as today the rifle has always been a hunting rifle. The Europeans have used double rifle in smaller chamberings for two hundred years to hunt everything from fox to large bear and boar. The very large chamberings were only used in Africa, and India as a rule. However I use them for all hunting, large or small game in North America, and I知 here to tell you a 300 pound wild hog, or a 1000 pound brown bear will die very quickly with a 470NE double rifle, and there isn't a better designed rifle in the world for woods shooting of all game there, no matter the continent where hunted, as long as they are cartridge specific for the game sought.

#4 Double rifle only cost so much because they are all gold inlaid and engraved.

Double rifle cost is directly attributed to the skilled people, required for the building of a working double rifle, and hand fitting, that can only be done by skilled hands, a skill that has been handed down from father to son for 200 years, and simply can't be done by machines.
Engraving is expensive on any type rifle, sometimes more expensive than the rifle it is applied on. A double rifle left in the white, will still be an expensive item, simply because they are so skilled labor intensive! Most other types of rifle can be made almost entirely by machines, and put together on an assembly line basis, double rifles cannot.

#5 If CNC machines were used quality double rifles could be built as cheaply as good bolt rifles.

As stated in the answer above, CNC is only used to do the hog work to get the pieces close to their final shape, but the final fitting and shaping has to be done by very skilled human hands.

#6 The magazine on a bolt rifle makes it a better choice for taking on dangerous game in a charge.

This is an excuse that many use to justify not owning a double rifle for dangerous game. Their contention is that a bolt rifle with one in the chamber, and three large cartridges in the magazine is more firepower than a double rifle with only two chambers. Their idea that all four rounds in the bolt can be accessed faster that they can from a double rifle, because all one has to do is work the bolt three time to shoot all four. What they are saying is that the bolt rifle doesn't have them be reloaded for the four shots, while the double has to be reloaded after the second shot! This is true of the double rifle, but they are wrong about the bolt rifle, which must be re-loaded three times after the FIRST shot. The double rifle fires two of the quickest AIMED shots with shots one and too. The reload is necessary, then the next two shots are both AIMED, and all the shots utilized with only a change of trigger, for the first two, then break and drop two rounds into the chambers simultaneously the fire the next two AIMED shots with only a change of triggers. If anyone has doubt that a double rifle can fire four shot on target faster than it can with a bolt rifle, it has been done and timed many times, and I have done it myself.

The double rifleman is at no disadvantage to the bolt rifle shooter while standing off a concentrated charge of a large animal that requires a lot of stopping. That has been proven many times. At Jullif, Texas we have a shoot twice per year called æ»´OOT & SHOOT at the Bayou Gun Club. At this shoot all shooters are shooting stopping rifles, both bolt, and double rifles. The drill for the stopping exercise is 8æ¯argets at 25 yds, the distance where most charges start. The shooters start with the rifle loaded, the bolt with one in the chamber, and three down, and the double rifle with both chambers loaded, with two more rounds in his shell carrier or between the fingers of his forehand, for the re-load. The eight-inch target has a two-inch 10X ring for a possible score of only 40 points if all hit the two-inch 10X ring. As stated the black bulls eye is eight inches across, and any shot that misses the black bulls eye is not counted even though that bullet would still be hitting a large animal.

I was shooting a Merkel mod 140E ? chambered for 9.3X74R, and because of a case of procrastination on my part I had failed to disengage the auto feature of the safety though I壇 had this rifle for some years. I was taken to task, by my readers for recommending they be disengaged, when I hadn't done so on my own rifle. In my defense, the rifle in question was not my dangerous game rifle I simply kept putting it off. Because it was a 9.3X74R double rifle it could be pressed into service as a DGR, if need be, so it really should have been disengaged, and I was drawn and quartered, for not doing so. More about the reason for disengaging auto safeties later. The shooting starts with a whistle, and all four shots are fired on the target as fast as you can, and the individual timing is started when each shooter fires his first shot, and stopped when he fires his last shot. I fired all four shots in four seconds flat, with the score on the target being 36 points of a possible 40 points if all shots had hit the 10X ring. The problem was I forgot about the automatic safety and tried to fire shot three, after the re-load, with the safety in the 徹N position. If the auto feature had been disabled like all my other doubles I would probably have shaved a full second off that time. In the act of trying to stop a lion, or big Brown bear that extra second could have cost me my life. In this shoot I took third place, and the two who beat me were shooting double rifles as well, and the only one bolt that even who beat my score was way down the rank for time.

#7 When a guy decides to buy himself a double rifle but not understanding how they work he thinks if he buys a double rifle in one of the common big bore cartridges used in bolt rifles he can get more power out of the rifle by hopping up the loads, and the bullets being easily available at the local gun store, shoot it cheaper, and still have a working double rifle.

This is a big mistake on the buyer's part. First most cartridges that are used in bolt rifles are rimless/belted rimless, and are not suited for a double rifle that will be used on dangerous game. They are slow to load properly, and the tiny spring loaded pawls needed to snap into the rimless cartridge's extractor groove, are fragile and prone to damage, or sticking in the down position. Either way they are a danger to the shooter who is trying to stop something that wants to kill him! These cartridges are not simple DROP-IN cartridges for the chambers so the cartridges can simply be dropped into the chamber simultaneously, but must be pushed into the chambers one at a time. SLOW! Too slow, and if they aren't seated before the rifle is closed sharply, the tiny extractor pawls may be snapped off with the broken piece not allowing the rifle to be closed fully. At that point, if the animal is not down for the count, the shooter is in some real trouble with nothing but a 12-pound club to fight with.

The double rifle is designed for rimmed, low-pressure cartridges, with tapered bodies. This shape, and low pressure allowed the cartridges to simply slide out of the chambers if only moved a microscopic amount the case was free of the grip of the chamber walls, and would simply fall out of the chambers. Many of the modern cartridges used for dangerous game in bolt rifles are too straight sided, and high pressure to work properly in a break-top double rifle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow 12 years old and still a good read. Valid points all, having built and own more than a few doubles now over the years, folks struggle with the time it takes to build and regulate, and that they are NOT designed for high pressure cartridges. Everybody wants some stupid 50KPSI round that sticks the action, pounds the pin and bust the primers. The ejection/extraction mechanism is inherently weak. The cartridges need to fall out on their own. I will interject that I can shoot a stopper power levergun pretty darn fast and would say match a double for four shots...which I have done. I'm not talking 45-70, I'm talking 450AK, 50AK, 45-90 Win Nitro, 50-110 Win Nitro, my own design 450 LG Super (The max case capacity for a 45cal that will cycle in a 1886 modified). Each capable of 4000+LBS and the 450 LG Super @5000lbs. I would only use the new Japanese made 1886's. They are crazy great quality and very strong. Also note, these are larger case capacity thus LOWER pressure, same idea as the large case double cartridges. The 450 LG Super water volume is 108 grns ~458 Lott, 80% of say a 450 Nitro. This is water volume nothing more, still not as low pressure, but better. I only bring this all up is because of the shooting comp, and speed, which sounds like great fun to me!

If there is a trophy for the oldest thread resurrection, you Sir have won it...
But do agree it is a very informative and knowledge based thread, lots of solid info.

Last edited:
Another common misconception about double rifles:
People think that just because a double rifle is regulated for a particular brand of ammunition, it will consistently keep delivering accurate results with that same brand of ammunition regardless.

This is not necessarily true. I have personally seen and handled a Butch Searcy .470 Nitro Express sidelock ejector which was regulated for Federal 500Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw & Federal 500Gr Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid cartridges in 1998. The rifle delivers spectacularly accurate results with Federal cartridges from that vintage. But when used with 2016 manufactured Federal cartridges, the word “Depressing” could best be used to describe the rifle’s accuracy & grouping.

If I had to guess, I’d have to say that somewhere between 1998 & 2016… Federal made some slight changes to their .470 Nitro Express ammunition without telling anybody.

Picky eaters double rifles are. But I still greatly love them.

If I had to guess, I’d have to say that somewhere between 1998 & 2016… Federal made some slight changes to their .470 Nitro Express ammunition without telling anybody.
I think that the powder charge and/or primer composition over the 18 year gap you referenced would/could be the leading factor to regulation variance.

People think that just because a double rifle is regulated for a particular brand of ammunition, it will consistently keep delivering accurate results with that same brand of ammunition regardless.

This is not necessarily true. I have personally seen and handled a Butch Searcy .470 Nitro Express sidelock ejector which was regulated for Federal 500Gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw & Federal 500Gr Trophy Bonded Sledgehammer Solid cartridges in 1998. The rifle delivers spectacularly accurate results with Federal cartridges from that vintage. But when used with 2016 manufactured Federal cartridges, the word “Depressing” could best be used to describe the rifle’s accuracy & grouping.

That was always one of my questions. If you and your double get to camp but your ammo doesn't what do you do? A bolt gun will work with most any ammo with a little sight or scope adjustment. You can't field regulate a double. I guess try what the outfitter has and hope one will work.

That was always one of my questions. If you and your double get to camp but your ammo doesn't what do you do? A bolt gun will work with most any ammo with a little sight or scope adjustment. You can't field regulate a double. I guess try what the outfitter has and hope one will work.
Exactly. There's about a half dozen things I can change if my bolt rifle suddenly isn't shooting where it should: change the ammo/load, check the bedding, change the scope setting, check the head space,, get a different scope, recrown the barrel, scrub the bore, etc. A double rifle goes wonky and it's usually not an easy fix.

Exactly. There's about a half dozen things I can change if my bolt rifle suddenly isn't shooting where it should: change the ammo/load, check the bedding, change the scope setting, check the head space,, get a different scope, recrown the barrel, scrub the bore, etc. A double rifle goes wonky and it's usually not an easy fix.
Please enlighten all of us with your vast experience with double rifles to lead you to this opinion. I will probably want to sell my current double and not purchase the one I am contemplating after reading your answer.

Sounds like your personal experience is vast in comparison to the original poster!

I am extremely interested in all the ways doubles go “wonky“ so I can be wary. Please advise!:unsure:

Please tell the rest of us how to rebed , recrown, and check headspace in Africa. @Newboomer is talking about losing ammo.

How often do you have a rifle suddenly have excessive headspace? o_O

The unwashed masses of double devotees await your answer!

Last edited:
Please enlighten all of us with your vast experience with double rifles to lead you to this opinion. I will probably want to sell my current double and not purchase the one I am contemplating after reading your answer.

Sounds like your personal experience is vast in comparison to the original poster!

I am extremely interested in all the ways doubles go “wonky“ so I can be wary. Please advise!:unsure:

Please tell the rest of us how to rebed , recrown, and check headspace in Africa. @Newboomer is talking about losing ammo.

How often do you have a rifle suddenly have excessive headspace? o_O

The unwashed masses of double devotees await your answer!
Of course I was talking about a new gun as well as one that goes wonky on the road. Any old gunsmith can adjust the headspace if needed or recrown the muzzle. Not so easy to find someone who can regulate a double gun. I can replace the firing pin/striker on my Mauser or Springfield. Ebay has lots of them available all the time. And it's something just about anyone else with two hands and half a brain can do on their own. Most good gunsmiths have a stockpile of parts for those bolt guns. How easy is it to replace anything broken on a double rifle? I enjoy building my own big game bolt rifles. How many guys on this forum can build their own double rifles? But hey, a double will give you two lightning fast shots so that balances out everything, right? I once shot an incoming gemsbuck at less than twenty yards running full tilt twice through the heart before it could fall over. Perhaps a double rifle could have done it quicker but I'm not sure one could have done it any more accurately or with any more deadly effect. And if somehow I'd botched the second shot, there were still four more in the magazine that could be cycled just as fast. If the gun had been a double and I missed the second shot, then I still had a club to keep the bugger from running me down. A very expensive, very pretty club. :D

Get closer to the target. I’m not being flippant here. A dangerous game double is designed to be used inside 50 yards. On elephant inside 25 yards. I’m completely confident that if my 500NE showed up but my ammo didn’t, that locally sourced ammo would hit close enough to where I was aiming. At 50 yards I suppose it could be problematic and I’d be left with two choices, get closer or use a borrowed rifle.

Earlier this year I took a Rhino and Lion with my 475 No 2 Jeffery inside 25 yards so it is possible to get in close. I 50/50 its ammo between my wife’s luggage and mine, giving myself an excellent chance of it getting to Africa. Had both gone missing I would have had to use my backup 375 as buying 475 No 2 Jeffery ammo at a store is impossible.

I can get ammo for my .500 NE pretty easily as it is regulated with Hornady and most PH's doubles are regulated with the same ammo.

Also, I have a red dot on my double. Worst case it becomes a single shot and I have not needed more than one shot during the last several hunts for elephant and buffalo.

... I once shot an incoming gemsbuck at less than twenty yards running full tilt twice through the heart before it could fall over.

A gemsbuck running full tilt would be coming at 60 km per hour, which translates to 18.3 yards in ONE second. I guess you are lightning fast with that bolt. And a deadeye dick to boot to be able to make two heart shots considering the angle you'd be looking at as the height of it is only 1.2m.

1690608273663.png

And this, @Newboomer is the one scenario where I (possibly the staunchest advocate of double rifles) wholeheartedly admit that the bolt action rifle has the undisputed superior advantage- Ease of sourcing ammunition to shoot accurately with them.

A gemsbuck running full tilt would be coming at 60 km per hour, which translates to 18.3 yards in ONE second. I guess you are lightning fast with that bolt. And a deadeye dick to boot to be able to make two heart shots considering the angle you'd be looking at as the height of it is only 1.2m.

View attachment 548213
It was very uneven uphill rocky ground and the gemsbuck had just come through a dead acacia thicket so I doubt it was moving at 60 km/h, but she was indeed galloping. We watched her come over the hill about a hundred yards away then she ran into the thicket. Second shot through the shoulder as she ran by at twelve yards, probably already dead on her feet. PH said "You hit it" at the first shot but she kept coming. As we walked up he said I should give em a chance to fall over. But I had heard about a client being charged by a wounded gemsbuck three years earlier. And I've seen videos of them taking on lions. That close and incoming I'll shoot a gemsbuck till it drops. And I called both as heart shots before we rolled it over. Yes, I'm considered a good shot at running game. This muley buck dropped with one shot at about 70 yards. And this Cape buffalo definitely running full tilt at 60 yards. And this running coyote through the heart at 55 yards. And last year's nyala through the heart at 100 yards.
2019-08-24 gemsbuck.jpg

16 November 2019.JPG
20201129_110147.jpg

Buffalo2.JPG

IMG_1740(1).JPG

20220827_130103.jpg

Last edited:

You are correct. Federal has had three different recipes since the early 1990s. There was the gold and silver paper box loads, which are different than the plastic box loads with nickel plated cases of the modern times, which is different than the other paper box of maybe 8-10 years ago.

I can't speak to all of them, but some of them have barely any powder in them, I believe that was Reloader15. To provide consistent ignition without the use of a filler, they use a 216m primer which officially doesn't exist and has never been sold to the public as a component.

They are picky, I've had some barrels that are pains in the rear!! I've once or twice have had to switch barrels because one just would not cooperate...

I reload my ammo so I tune it as things change. There are tricks you can do in the field that can move the POI some if things get really screwy. Mostly speeding up or slowing down the recoil. These are if your desperate of course, not real fixes.

View attachment 548213
Still perplexed about the angle business. Makes no sense. Is it somehow easier to shoot a Cape buffalo through the heart just because the critter is taller? Why? Shooting a springbuck in the head offhand may be more difficult than shooting a giraffe in the head offhand but only because of the size of the target. The height of the target from ground does not factor into it at all.

Still perplexed about the angle business. Makes no sense. Is it somehow easier to shoot a Cape buffalo through the heart just because the critter is taller? Why? Shooting a springbuck in the head offhand may be more difficult than shooting a giraffe in the head offhand but only because of the size of the target. The height of the target from ground does not factor into it at all.
I am an engineer by education and trade so take comments literally. You said incoming at full tilt at 20 yards in the post I responded to.

So, if it is incoming then the angle to do a heart shot from the front of the chest would be interesting.

On the next post you mentioned shooting it broadside. :unsure:

It is interesting. I have been reading posts here for a few years. We are blessed to dialogue with men and women who have hunted literally all over the world. Many have taken hundreds of different game animals in a host of different environments. Still others, some of whom are the same people, shoot thousands of rounds of sporting clays, competitive pigeons, and/or game birds each year. Still others have spent time in combat, utilizing weapons in a far different and somewhat more consequential way.

Of those remarkably diverse and experienced people, I can't think of one who feels compelled to brag about his shooting ability or make assumptions about guns or rifles about which he has no personal experience - or worse, to make assumptions about the abilities, experiences, or knowledge of other contributors. The people about whom I speak are those who have seen and done enough to fully realize there is a great deal they do not yet know.

I certainly learn something almost every time I open this site.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyHandley

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.