Double rifle in .405 Winchester

CRS will have to look at the calendar, we are planning on going to DSC this year. Would be a hoot to take a couple 405's out on pigs.

Indeed it would. Chris will use one of my rifles and if he picks the 1895 .405, there would be three .405s I do not know if you have hunted with Chris in Africa, but he is a good guy and some of my friends have hunted with him.

Well, maybe you will get to hunt with him in Texas!
If you wife want one or more hogs, I have lots of rifles to choose from; is she right or left handed?

I used my modern '95 .405 in RSA a few years ago, only shot it once though. Dumped a big nyala with it. My load used the Barnes Triple Shock 300, best shooting bullet in my rifle of those tried. I would not be afraid to hunt buffalo with it. Would love to find a double in .405 :D

Well, you have found a thread with four .405 double rifle shooters, but so far as I know, none of these are for sale. I know a guy here in Texas that can make you one.
The buffalo better be afraid! My 1895 .405 has taken three buff - one cape, one water, and one big cape/water buff bull + lots of plains game sized critters in the USA.
With a 300 grain bullet at 2200+ and 400 grain bullet at 2076 fps, what is there to fear?

I am a fan of the .405 and .45-70 in Winchester lever guns and in doubles, :) but have no feeling for the 450/400 in a double, single, or bolt action.:sleep: (ambivalence ?)

Oh man...now you are hurting my feelings! :)

At least I do have a 45-70 lever....

I did a write up in one of the rags some years ago on the .405 shooting both 300 and 400 gr bullets out of a Ruger No. 1 I had. It was impressive what could be done on that platform. With the 400 gr bullet I was getting energies in the 4000 ft/lb range, with excellent accuracy. Recoil was stiff...:eek::eek::rolleyes:

mmm, I have such an article published November 2012 in Guns and Ammo, written by Steve Cash. That was just a few months after I used my 1895 .405 and 400 grain Woodies to take the cow buff in the pic to the left.

mine was in Gun World under my name, long before that one.

I somehow missed this thread. Great to read stuff from other .405 Win fans. This year I added a sable to my .405 list which now includes kudu, gemsbok, nyala, black wildebeest, and giraffe. I absolutely love this old rifle and how hard it smacks them.

PB,
Welcome to the .405 WCF club.
That is a great .405 list you have. How many of those have you taken with your .405?

PB,
Welcome to the .405 WCF club.
That is a great .405 list you have. How many of those have you taken with your .405?

All of them. They are in my photos if you are interested.

Congratulations!
My only African game taken with my .405 was the cape buffalo in the pic to the left.
Mostly exotics and plains game here in the US.

Congratulations!
My only African game taken with my .405 was the cape buffalo in the pic to the left.

Mostly exotics and plains game here in the US.
Thanks! I read your report on the buff and you have my admiration! My PH buddies have been after me since my first trip to do a buff. I am now ready and that is next. I know the rifle is up to it, but I’m not getting any younger so I am saving for it.

Welcome to the 405 group of gentlemen adventures. You need to get after your buff it will be one of the best hunts you will ever do.

What Dave said +1.
BTW, Dave, you still want to shoot some hogs when you are in town for the DSC Show in January?

@crs Would love to but we have a niece getting married later that month and just can't swing the time off, so we will have to take a rain check on the hogs. Will have to sit down at DSC and talk 405's:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VerlaMarti

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!