Double rifle in .405 Winchester

OK,
but if a chance to hunt comes up, I will skip the show and write a hunt report later. ;)

Found in a friends gun rack....

Made in Belgium, heavily used condition, barrels ok, bad regulated, ..... cheap and with a good core.... a construction site!

Is this cartridge good for anything in Africa?

HWL

View attachment 184610

No . It's completely useless. Send the gun to me and I will dispose of it for you! :sneaky:

@crs well after a good bit of consternation on what to bring on next year safari, came to a decision. My wife said she was only taking her 338, so my 9.3x62 will fit in her travel case so her 338 doesn't feel lonely. and I am taking my 405 and the 577 I just bought from @cal pappas. just under 6 months till we head over:A Big Hello:

You do seem to be following Rourk's advice and "Taking Enough Guns".
Be sure and shoot something interesting with the .405!

You do seem to be following Rourk's advice and "Taking Enough Guns".

.... and enough ammunition!!!

.405 Winchester at the reloading bench.

DSC00392.JPG

HWL

My compliments on your choice of brass and bullets.

That tray fully loaded should last a long while as it usually takes only one shot to collect most game. ;)

Greetings all!!
I am a new member, I am a fan of '95 Winchester rifles, out of fashion cartridges, and hunting.
I am planning a Cape Buffalo hunt and would like to take one with my 405 lever gun. I have currently only used the 300gr Hornady, Barnes, and some Hornady DGS 400gr. meant for the 400/450 and pistol bullets. I know see many of you have developed loads for this use - would anyone be so kind as to share some of their loads? Or direct me to that information?
Thank you, and I'm happy to have found this group!
Oh - and my grandfather had a 405 double made for him in the late '30's - it is a shotgun conversion that bears only the builder's mark. It is currently in the possession of my uncle, however.

33WCF,
Welcome !
If you will PM to me your email address, I can provide my favorite 300 grain North Fork FPS load at 2250 fps and my favorite 400 grain Woodleigh loads at 2050 to 2076 fps. The latter used only with my 1895 .405 with extended chamber to allow seating at the cannelure and to reduce peak pressure, which I have tested with pressure Trace II. All these loads also shoot well in my .405 double rifle.

Either the 300 or 400 grain DG loads will do in a Cape buffalo.

33WCF Welcome!
I was going to tell you that crs had the info you needed but he beat me to post a reply.
You need to get your uncle to also join the forum and this small but growing group of 405 Win double owners. Or he needs to give
the double to you so we add another 405 double :)

AZDAVE - Chris Troskie (RSA outfitter friend) will be staying with me next week and accompany me on a ten person hog hunt at the Boars Nest. We will naturally use my .405 double on the trophy boars bayed by the hounds. That is usually close range shooting at ranges of from 5 to 25 yards due to the thick cover. I will have some pix to post after that. We will be using 300 grain TSX hand loads at 2250 fps and I do not expect to recover any bullets. ;)

CRS. Sounds like a great hunt getting ready to happen. Wish I could make it out but will have to set up a hunt with you later in the year. Retire in Apr:) I have some 300gr Hawk bullets that have bacon written all over them:D

Have a great time and enjoy time with hunting buddies!

Dave - will you retire up in Alaska or come back to the lower 48?
Like to Arizona or Texas?

We are in AZ now. Looking at a small vacation cabin in Alaska and we will either stay in AZ or head to the Hill country in Texas

Welcome back to the lower 48!
I look forward to hunting with you and introducing you to some fishing and hunting buddies in Texas.
Now I must clean shotguns for a youth pheasant hunt next Saturday - taking my grandson to a preserve out near Breckinridge with some other young hunters.

AZDAVE - Chris Troskie (RSA outfitter friend) will be staying with me next week and accompany me on a ten person hog hunt at the Boars Nest. We will naturally use my .405 double on the trophy boars bayed by the hounds. That is usually close range shooting at ranges of from 5 to 25 yards due to the thick cover. I will have some pix to post after that. We will be using 300 grain TSX hand loads at 2250 fps and I do not expect to recover any bullets. ;)
CRS:
Sounds like a ball!!
Question for you : when we're lion hunting, "shoot through " is always a concern in regards to the dogs. I carry a 32-20 with fragmenting bullets and am of course cognizant of where the dogs are, now I realize that a hog is far denser than any lion ever will be, but they are at dog level - do you load to address this? Or is it only awareness of your shooting path?

Either the 300 or 400 grain DG loads will do in a Cape buffalo.
The 405 has the same diameter bullet as the 450/400, and pretty much the same velocity. But, I don't think the 450/400 would rely on a 300gr bullet for Cape Buffalo. With a SD of 254 would the 300gr really be good?

35wcf,
Dogs and people are always a concern. These hunters may use pistols, shotguns, muzzleloaders, and centerfire rifles. These concerns are mitigated by certain circumstances and rules:
1. The hog fenced terrain is wooded small hills cut up by small creek drainages and two tracks with very few clearings.
2. the only people in the Trophy pasture are the dog handlers and hunters in the follow up pick up.
3. The driver uses radio communication with the dog handlers
4. When a hog is bayed/treed, the truck drives as close as is practical, one hunter gets out, loads his gun and walks toward the baying dogs
5. When the hunter is in range and ready (usually within 20 yards, often closer) the dog handler calls off the dogs and for a brief time the boar is clear
6. The hunter fires and usually kills the boar, but I have seen misses and wounding and an escaping boar at which time the dogs are loosed.
7. Things can go wrong as documented in my story on this site from a couple of years ago when "my" boar cut up a dog and made the others mad.
7. The hunt staff then recover the dead hog and take it to the cleaning area. In some cases, they have to bring out a front end loader as with my last hog.

Pheroze,
My friends and I have taken a number of buffalo in Texas and Australia with the .405 WCF 300 grain NF bullets at 2250 fps.
These critters ran around 1500 -1600 pounds and if shot properly went right down. I would gladly use my .405 with those bullets on a Cape buffalo if given the opportunity. In fact, that was my plan until a friend convinced me to use hand loaded 400 grain .411 Woodleigh bullets at 2076 fps MV and they worked like a charm. That story too, was on several hunting forums, possibly this one.

Attachments

• 52180_600x400.jpg
    52180_600x400.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited by a moderator:
Hog hunt was rained out after ten days of rain that flooded low water crossings and many county roads.
Rescheduled for March 31.
Too muddy to do much out of doors for a week now on my place . No vehicles in pastures or fields.

Best layed plans get a dose of mother nature. Good luck for the end of March.

Dave,
Still to wet to plow! Or mow, or drag harrow, or do much of anything outdoors. Maybe by month end kit will be dry enough to drive dirt county roads and to hunt hogs. Or group of 10 is down to 5 with no one hunting trophy boars. OOh well, I get to shoot two smaller meat hogs rather than one big bugger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you