Double rifle case - standard or safari style

Rakman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking at the Kalispel double gun cases and was curious as to what the advantage of the safari style case is vs the traditional double rifle case…yes I’m aware the 2nd. photo shown is a single case…it is being used to illustrate what I mean by traditional style case.

6A39EC06-8307-41B8-9B47-B201DDD573DC.png
1E452EF8-EF14-4305-AD40-8FC30977F8A5.png

Firstly, I think welded aluminium cases are definitely the way to go, they are far stronger than assembled ones and the walls are less voluminous than the poly ones. As to style, for just the airline transporting side of things the safari case wins, but when you really care about protecting your rifle or double on the back of the safari vehicle a flexible bag won't do. So I got an aluminium case especially made for Ngurungundu which can do it all, quick and easy to whip it out on the back of the Landy when it is time to pursue on foot. I got it properly fitted so the double is held really snugly anf it looks the part. The seal is shower proof too. Note the robust corner reinforcements.
I guess you could do that with the safari one too, but it means lugging around two rifles in a big case.

A6644663-CB1D-4F45-B1A1-EFDA6EEE2006.jpeg
E3575F39-9C9D-4262-94B0-5570931C9766.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to throw a wrench in the works, but really it's just a screwdriver depending on the rifles you own.

This was my original plan for my wife and each hunting with our own rifles...a Pelican 1750. We used this Pelican on our first safari with a different set of rifles. It was heavy and cumbersome. Even though it had wheels, it was a PITA.
1667727768400.png

That plan was modified soon after because it may have been necessary for us to split up while on safari, so she would need her own case...Pelican 1700 for each.
1667727891817.png

The Pelican 1700 is much lighter and most of all much handier than the long 1750. Fellow member @One Day... showed what is possible by packing a Blaser R8 with two barrels and a 470NE double rifle into a 1700 with ease...
1667728065145.png

Accomplishing this with a traditional rifle can also be done and should only require the tools necessary to separate the action from the stock, usually just a screwdriver torque wrench. I believe @One Day... did this as well with his CZ550's and still kept the weight below the 50# limit.

Another member here @Ed Lally is using a Pelican Air 1615 with multiple layers of fitted foam. This makes the "rifle case" look like a normal luggage bag.
1667728379475.png

1667729214481.png

In the end there are lots of options. I prefer the Pelican 1700 for the water/dust/abuse protection offered, installed wheels, convenient size and relatively light weight over anything else. I've used them multiple times with no problems or damage to the contents. The Pelican Air is nice being a lighter option but sacrifices protection for the weight savings. No free lunch.

The only sticker for you with a Pelican is if you are trying to use it as storage from camp to the hunting area as @Kevin Peacocke mentioned. For this I use gun slip and put it in the bakkie and leave the Pelican at camp. It's a different story when I'm in control of where the rifle is stored instead of baggage handlers.

Last edited:
I have owned & still own several rifle cases. Most have really been abused in some form of transport. Only one really sustained damage that was a Pelican case which had a “nacho” size chip missing out of one side of the case fortunately whatever caused it missed the prewar Rigby .416 & the prewar Gibbs .470. Now days I would only use a high quality take down size aluminum case.
Lon

I was a huge fan of the Pelican and used them for years. One day USPS destroyed one - fortunately is was empty.

QUESTION - Where is everyone getting the custom foam designed and cut?

I was a huge fan of the Pelican and used them for years. One day USPS destroyed one - fortunately is was empty.

QUESTION - Where is everyone getting the custom foam designed and cut?
Check these guys out. I haven't used them but they are local for us.

https://www.rentzindustries.com/

We had used a “custom fit” foam made by company X for our trip to Africa that worked but had to be cut by me to fit correctly. Ordered custom cut foam from GunFoam for different rifles going to NZ. Outstanding fit and looks great, highly recommended

5CBF17A8-6C4E-4509-A2DF-D0A7768958EC.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly, I think welded aluminium cases are definitely the way to go, they are far stronger than assembled ones and the walls are less voluminous than the poly ones. As to style, for just the airline transporting side of things the safari case wins, but when you really care about protecting your rifle or double on the back of the safari vehicle a flexible bag won't do. So I got an aluminium case especially made for Ngurungundu which can do it all, quick and easy to whip it out on the back of the Landy when it is time to pursue on foot. I got it properly fitted so the double is held really snugly anf it looks the part. The seal is shower proof too. Note the robust corner reinforcements.

I guess you could do that with the safari one too, but it means lugging around two rifles in a big case.

Where can I get one of these?

I own and have used both America Case aluminum case and a Pelican 1750. Both worked just fine!!

Cobra Foam also laser cuts it’s foam inserts to fit your case and gun.

So how about what’s the advantage to the safari style vs the standard case?

Get a case with WHEELS. Your safari travel is arduous enough without having to lug you rifle case, bag, and carry-on through multiple airports.

I use a top of the line Pelican case and it works really well.

I have always used a Pelican 1750 up until this year. I used a TuffPac this year with 3 rifles in it. Worked great and unless they looked at firearms tagging everyone thought it was golf clubs. I will be using it again in 2023 I think.

I have always used a Pelican 1750 up until this year. I used a TuffPac this year with 3 rifles in it. Worked great and unless they looked at firearms tagging everyone thought it was golf clubs. I will be using it again in 2023 I think.
How are you protecting the rifles inside?

I've had great luck with my pelican, its made several trips on several planes with just some long shallow scratches from it being slid around. The plastic seems rubbery enough to prevent it from cracking but I'm sure it's possible to break it if you were determined.

Each rifle is in its own thick soft case. I put 2 inches of foam in the bottom and cut an another piece for the top after guns are in.
Thank you. I forgot all about these. A buddy has traveled extensively with the bow version. Any opinion on the padlock vs combo lock versions ?

Thank you. I forgot all about these. A buddy has traveled extensively with the bow version. Any opinion on the padlock vs combo lock versions ?

I have the key version. But I took it one step further for security if that lock should break while traveling.
I also included a photo of top foam after guns are inside.
IMG_4679.jpg

IMG_4678.jpg

IMG_4676.jpg
Hasp is pop riveted on with reinforcing washers on rivets.

IMG_4677.jpg

ANY case of any construction from any manufacturer can be damaged...

Here is what the Phoenix Airport luggage handlers succeeded doing to a best-quality STEEL welded case...

DSCN0479.JPG

And to the $10k Griffin & Howe ZKK 602 action-based custom rifle with all the metal work goodies and multi star French walnut stock inside it...

DSCN0470.JPG

I have personally come to believe that what reduces the risk of case / rifle(s) damage is NOT the make or construction (within reason), but the bulk and weight. The smaller and lighter a case, the easier to handle, and, I believe, the lower the risk of mishap. Conversely, the bulkier and heavier, the higher the chance of it being mistreated by pissed off luggage handlers...

This is why I believe that the Pelican 1700 is currently the best option, not to mention, as illustrated above by BeeMaa that you can stuff 3 calibers in it while still complying with airlines requirements of less than 62" linear and less than 50 lbs. In my experimentations this is the best option for 2 rifles to Africa (even if not using a Blaser or similar). Not to mention that it fits in a regular car trunk or rear seat, and that I do not dislocate a shoulder handling it.

I started using mine for a double .470 + a magnum length CZ 550, and now use it for double + Blaser R8 with 2 barrels, or just Blaser R8 with 3 barrels and 3 scopes.

Pelican 1700 with CZ 550 300 Wby & Krieghoff ,470 NE.jpg

Blaser R8 & 2 barrels + with Krieghoff .470 in Pelican 1700.jpg

Pelican 1700 with Blaser R8 & 3 barrels & 3 scopes.jpg

I bought a couple sets of military-grade hard foam and cut it myself to fit my needs. I use alternate sets depending on what I want to take on a given safari.

The Pelican 1750 with half the foam removed and the rifles in soft cases still works (I posted on this a few years back), but with decent soft cases (in this case Boyt) the weight exceeds 50 lbs. and of course the size exceeds 62" linear. It worked for many years but nowadays be ready to pay oversize/overweight fees up to $200 per flight. If you do 3 flights each way: domestic US / international / domestic Africa this will add close to $1,500 to your cost. I personally rather spend that money on trophy fees...

Pelican 1750 with Weatherby .300 Wby & Krieghoff .470 NE.jpg

+1 too on Nevada Mike recommendation to select a case with wheels. The Pelican 1700 (and 1750) has a set. This will change your life the day you transit through New York or Atlanta and have to schlep it from a domestic terminal to the international terminal when the domestic airline does not want to book your rifles to their end destination on a different airline.

In summary, and unless you are concerned about loosing zero when taking a rifle out of its stock (which is still possible if the bedding is approximative - but impossible with metal bedding inserts/receivers e.g. Bell & Carlson stocks or Blaser stocks), I see no reason to still use a full length case. It is heavier, bulkier, potentially more risky, and nowadays most likely more expensive.

For what it is worth, Rakman, in my view (?) the so-called "safari" cases are an invitation to financial surcharges and potential mishandling because they are simply too bulky and too heavy. The "golf clubs" cases share those shortcomings although they tend to be lighter because they are thinner, but just imagine what would result to a thin TuffPac from a blow that can dent a Pelican or bend a steel case... And God help you if you need to take a bush plane with one of these monsters... Even the van driver that picks you up at the airport will struggle with where and how to load it, you better hope that the PH himself shows up with his bakkie...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VNCFlorida

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you