Double addicted

Heym 88b in 375H&H

Still need to go hunt something with it :(

IMG_5451.JPG

This is a new addition to our group, a 1904 Westley Richards 450/400 3". It will take time to uncover the history, but we know it spent a long time in Rhodesia National Parks. Not sure whether to clean it up or leave as is and just use the old girl. There is a tonne of mineral oil in that pistol grip. What would you do?
4CDA3052-9FFD-4B74-8134-66C3DFB49ED1.jpeg
0CBC8746-5E15-45E2-B335-9DC8C131C3AA.jpeg

That is a very hard question to answer.

Here are a couple of pics of my Heym 88B in 470 NE. I was hunting Capes at a pretty good clip at this time in my life taking 3-4 per year with the double. Mostly in Tanzania and Zambia.

HH

Buff Pic 1.jpg
Buff Pic 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See what you guys did. My no1 didn’t get here and I bought a double. Didn’t spend a ton of money, but may if I like this route. I’m a single shot and bolt guy. We will see.

Flewis,

You are a double rifle junkie, exactly like the rest of us.
Embrace your legacy man.

Your Fellow Junkie,
Velo Dog.

Blaser S2 Zambezi Delta Mozambique. .375 and 30-06 barrels (Also, a truly superb hat)

View attachment 513374

Confession time , I am addicted - to double rifles. Every time I open up AH and look at the latest posts the sun goes bright when there is a post about doubles, anything, and when there are a few pictures thrown in my happiness is complete. It is the form of these beautiful pieces, their history existing or in the making, their links to Africa and of course their capability. A double is not a mile away gun; with this piece you get close, where senses are spelt with a capital S. I love the whole business.
Some of our friends here on AH have posted pictures of their great doubles and written up their hunts with them. I hope you fellows don't mind me re-posting a few again, you will recognise yours immediately. They have each taken turns as my screen saver!
Any like minded afflicted souls, feel free to post yours or others, lets have a feast of these wonderful works of booming art.
View attachment 513347View attachment 513348
I love mine....my Chapuis 450-400 DR with two great animals.

Buffalo.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0371.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
This is a new addition to our group, a 1904 Westley Richards 450/400 3". It will take time to uncover the history, but we know it spent a long time in Rhodesia National Parks. Not sure whether to clean it up or leave as is and just use the old girl. There is a tonne of mineral oil in that pistol grip. What would you do?
View attachment 513531View attachment 513532
Just my OP I would clean her up and enjoy hunting with her…I both know and completely respect those who would say don’t touch her

I would hunt with it…. after having a competent DR smith inspect and service it.

As for the oil soaked stock, would that perhaps soften the wood and leave it vulnerable to cracking under recoil?

From what I've seen and read, doing a proper restoration on an old double doesn't negatively impact value like it does on something like a vintage Colt or Winchester.
There are ways to draw out a lot of that oil and gunk in the grip that will actually improve the strength of the wood itself. It is time consuming both in the effort, and the drying between treatments. Follow that with a proper oil finish and the original beauty returns without sacrificing the character.
The metal work getting reblacked by a competent 'smith that is familiar with the process would then complete the process.
If she is sound in fit and function, putting her to work in the meantime would be the right thing to do.

Quite a conundrum you have there. On the one hand there is a lot of history imbedded in that wood and steel. Giving her a refresh kind of seems like washing some of that history away doesn’t it? If only it could talk, oh the stories it could tell!
On the other hand, a vintage double like that seems to deserve a bunch of TLC after so many years of service and maybe even some abuse and neglect. And she surely deserves a few more strolls through the bush!
With a twinge of regret offset by a great deal of excited anticipation I would send her off to someone with the highest degree of skill I could find and give her a new lease on life! And then I would start planning a buffalo hunt! :)

This is a new addition to our group, a 1904 Westley Richards 450/400 3". It will take time to uncover the history, but we know it spent a long time in Rhodesia National Parks. Not sure whether to clean it up or leave as is and just use the old girl. There is a tonne of mineral oil in that pistol grip. What would you do? View attachment 513531View attachment 513532
Hi Kevin, As you know I am familiar with the rifle. If you want to remove the oil from the pistol grip I would use "Whitening compound" from Brownells this mixed with acetone into a thick paste and applied to the affected area.

As what to do with the rifle? I would leave it as is. If money is going to be spent on restoration then I would send it to Westley Richards, but then how are you going to get it back?

Lon

Kevin, One last thought, the more that you spend on that rifle, the less you will have for the .303 that you just about drooled over. It will not be cheap.

Lon

1903 Gibbs 450NE 28" Barrels
View attachment 513557

Same Rifle little less wear and tear
View attachment 513558
That double looks in immaculate condition. The fob is perfect too!
Hi Kevin, As you know I am familiar with the rifle. If you want to remove the oil from the pistol grip I would use "Whitening compound" from Brownells this mixed with acetone into a thick paste and applied to the affected area.

As what to do with the rifle? I would leave it as is. If money is going to be spent on restoration then I would send it to Westley Richards, but then how are you going to get it back?

Lon
Correctly speaking it is my God son's, but since it is a gift I suppose we can say what happens to it before it is handed over! He is a very capable young man mechanically and fastidious, so he can do all the stock work you suggest Lon (thank you) and Roscoe can attend to any mechanicals. Then it is up to Dan to decide whether he wants re-bluing of the barrels, which I suppose needs to happen in SA.
It would be great to send it to WR, but impossible now.

Quite a conundrum you have there. On the one hand there is a lot of history imbedded in that wood and steel. Giving her a refresh kind of seems like washing some of that history away doesn’t it? If only it could talk, oh the stories it could tell!
On the other hand, a vintage double like that seems to deserve a bunch of TLC after so many years of service and maybe even some abuse and neglect. And she surely deserves a few more strolls through the bush!
With a twinge of regret offset by a great deal of excited anticipation I would send her off to someone with the highest degree of skill I could find and give her a new lease on life! And then I would start planning a buffalo hunt! :)
Thanks for your advice IdaRam, especially the hunting part!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg