Don't drink the water?

Not just the water you have to worry about, the food you eat can cause severe intestinal problems. The old saying is ... if it's not fried, boiled, or cooked ... don't eat it.

Have traveled a lot internationally and I always carry antibiotics such as amoxicillin & Imodium with me. All it takes is one case of the trots to cause lots of problems and dehydration.

Talk to your Doctor and they will set-up you up with the local travel medical center and they can help with above and recommended vaccinations.

Better safe than sorry ...

Not just the water you have to worry about, the food you eat can cause severe intestinal problems. The old saying is ... if it's not fried, boiled, or cooked ... don't eat it.

Have traveled a lot internationally and I always carry antibiotics such as amoxicillin & Imodium with me. All it takes is one case of the trots to cause lots of problems and dehydration.

Talk to your Doctor and they will set-up you up with the local travel medical center and they can help with above and recommended vaccinations.

Better safe than sorry ...
^^^^this.
I ate a bunch of uncooked sun-dried sausages the night before departure. That went about as well as any sensible person would have predicted.

On my only trip the outfitter told us to try and to avoid the tap water. He did say that it was fine for brushing your teeth or showering in. Every day we had a fresh pitcher of drinking water in our room and access to bottled water.

When we took our tour into the country of Lesotho and took a horseback ride into a remote village we took along a large bottle of water. When we reached one spot we were told that we could refresh our water with what was coming out of a pipe and that it was some of the best ground water in the country.

I never gave it a thought my wife has a sensitive stomach started taking a probiotic 2 weeks ahead of time and while we were there never had an issue.

In Limpopo the water SHOULD be ok but you may need to worry about the power staying on! Endured nightly blackouts in 2021.

LOL nuttin better than waking up in the middle of the night and wondering why the fans aren’t running.

Watch your outfitter also. I know of one that buys the new empty water bottles and puts the water from the ranch in them . So they look store bought with seal and all, but no label. So if your goal is to stay off of ranch water beware. We personally haven't had problems with water in Africa in 5 trips anyway.

1st trip: (Namibia Farm Hunt) Extremely cautious! We used bottled water for toothbushing and we’re hesitant to even use ice.

Fast Forward

5th trip: (Niassa Reserve, Moz) Brushed our teeth with tap water and ate cold boiled yams the trackers cooked in the gut pot.

The yams did result in 36 hours of frequent bathroom breaks, but nothing a little Imodium couldn’t get control of.

Overall I feel like I have a fairly iron gut; eventually I’ll find something that keeps me in bed but so far I’ve enjoyed the opportunity to sample the trackers menu.

i think you are worrying a bit too much
99% of outfitters will have plenty bottled water, if not filtered. a lot of guys have "reverse osmosis" setups in SA. this takes basically everything out of the water

boiled water is all good
enjoy the salad, and the whole safari

load shedding, or blackouts are a blessing in disguise, actually forces people to just relax and stare at the fire, as you should in evenings. it also takes away the hum of all electrics for a while, you actually will hear the jackals and hyenas!!!

Every camp, every bore hole and possibly each person will be different. We have a bore hole at our camp site and one at our lodge. No one has ever had a problem with the water at either. I find it a bit funny people will ask about "does the fresh perked coffee use bottle water"? but they never ask about the ice cubes in their drink.

I learned along time ago. Do not "rush" to the prescription bottle as soon as you have a problem. Getting whatever that is bad inside of you out should be your first priority, then you can head to the prescription bottle. I know there are doctors on the forum maybe one of them may wish to correct me or comment on this subject.

Every camp, every bore hole and possibly each person will be different. We have a bore hole at our camp site and one at our lodge. No one has ever had a problem with the water at either. I find it a bit funny people will ask about "does the fresh perked coffee use bottle water"? but they never ask about the ice cubes in their drink.

I learned along time ago. Do not "rush" to the prescription bottle as soon as you have a problem. Getting whatever that is bad inside of you out should be your first priority, then you can head to the prescription bottle. I know there are doctors on the forum maybe one of them may wish to correct me or comment on this subject.
I only know what I read and am told. This will be our only trip to Africa. I know a lot of you laugh at that. But, that’s a fact. So, I want to know what could possibly interfere with our tight schedule and what I can do to avoid it. It’s that simple. We are not worrying, stressing, etc…about anything. Just gathering information. I appreciate all the input.

DISCLAIMER - This is not a recommendation. Just conversation.

I’ve been drinking water as I find it for over 60 plus years. I just grew up doing that with my dad Camping, fishing, hunting , hiking. I’ve drank ground water that looked clean in Kwa Zulu Natal, Limpopo, Cape Town, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. If the guys are gonna eat some of that half done biltong drying on the fence, I’m gonna have some of that as well. Just been lucky, I guess. Never any issues, period.

“Knock on wood”……..or should I say “Knock on my wooden head”

DISCLAIMER - This is not a recommendation. Just conversation.

I’ve been drinking water as I find it for over 60 plus years. I just grew up doing that with my dad Camping, fishing, hunting , hiking. I’ve drank ground water that looked clean in Kwa Zulu Natal, Limpopo, Cape Town, Zimbabwe and Mozambique. If the guys are gonna eat some of that half done biltong drying on the fence, I’m gonna have some of that as well. Just been lucky, I guess. Never any issues, period.

“Knock on wood”……..or should I say “Knock on my wooden head”
I can agree with that with one exception, Why would I chance being miserable for 3 days on a trip I'm paying for and chance missing opportunities when I can avoid it?
Years ago I had what I considered a cast iron gut. As I age, things have become far less predictable. Gotta go with what I know.

So, there are lodges and camps in Africa - everything and everywhere in between. A South African game lodge may have water cleaner than your home due to filtering, etc. But it will be different water. A wilderness area hunt is likely using river water for showers and running water. You do not want to get any more of that into your system than necessary. @spike.t 's advice is exactly right.

I don't travel to Europe, much less Africa, without an antibiotic. I would guess that I end up using it about a quarter of the time. "Traveler's diarrhea" can make for an uncomfortable or even very sick 72 hours. Shigella and other dysenteries can put you in the hospital. Both can be quickly eliminated with something like Cipro (Ciprofloxacin). Never leave home without it.

As a professional traveler (pilot) I don't eat raw fruits, raw vegetables or salads, and don't drink anything with ice when I'm outside the U.S. I only drink bottled/canned drinks and don't let the staff open the drink for me. Especially water. A typical scam is to bring you a bottle of water and then they 'open' it for you as they put it on the table. Most of my travels abroad are in Mexico and the Caribbean but I'm assuming professional hunting outfits are a lot more reputable and trustworthy.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.49 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.51 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.23.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.24.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 8.24.08 AM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 40
I would ask your PH. Where I've been, tap water was perfectly safe to drink.
You need to go to some other places and experience the other somewhat wilder Africa.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LydiaR8063

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.