Does this hunt exist

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Like many i have always been attracted to the romance of hunting Africa and have said one day i would like to hunt there. What worries me is that there really isn't a hunt that exists that would suit me and that I'll never end up going.

I'm just a working stiff with a wife a baby and a mortgage so the high end safaris (i think of LDE, bongo etc) are out of my reach and will remain so for my lifetime. That's fine I can live with that.

So for me it's the plains game type hunting, but in this i start to see the divergence in what i want from a hunt and what seems to be the norm these days.

I am a diy hunter, ive done a couple of guided hunts and didn't love them as for me hunting although about innumeral things in a big part is about the personal challenge. I can accept that to hunt africa though in my financial range it's how it must be. But to do so i would need to have some control over the hunt, i couldn't do a hunt where i was trigger man trudging along behind a tracker and a ph until being ushered up to shoot something.

When i spend a week in the victorian high country chasing sambar or NZ alps chasing tahr I'm happy living out of an old hut or a tent. I don't personally feel comfortable being doted on or staying in resort type places at the best of times and when I'm hunting the idea of that to me feels really jarring. For me camping in a tent, sitting round a fire at night eating game and sipping on a dram of whisky after a good day is high end, luxury is being able to have a wash every couple of days. I enjoy doing some of the cooking, cleaning and other general duties as i find all that to be part of the experience.

For me its gotta be an unfenced hunt.

In terms of what I'd like to hunt, to me the number one plains game is any variety of common eland, a big mature bulky dewlap sort of character.
After that i could work around things depending what occurs in that area but either nyala or bushbuck has always interested me, the wife likes kudu and I've always liked the idea of a zebra rug. I think impala are quite pretty also. Personally I detest scoring and have no interest in that side of things whatsoever.

So to summarise is there a no frills free ranging affordable hunt without the 5 star luxury and a setup that allows the hunter to hunt and not just pull a trigger or does this hunt not exist.

Next year im heading back to nz for a diy chamois hunt, after that the next big adventure will be a 2021 diy elk, mule deer and antelope hunt in the states. After that I'll be looking for something else maybe africa. The flip side is that if the hunt I'm after doesn't exist i don't think i could ever see myself doing it and I'd probably cross Africa off my list which would be a damned shame.

Don't think you can do a DIY in any African country. You must hunt with a PH, regardless of the animal.
Any other AH members think I am wrong, chime in and correct me!

Nothing that you list is economically out of reach with a bit of diligence and planning. Find an outfitter (and there are many) who wouldn't mind letting you pay on a safari over a couple years. Like you, I can't drop a large sum of money on a moment's notice. I'm taking two years to pay for my Cape Buffalo hunt with Pawprint Safaris next year. A DIY hunt may not be possible due to firearms permitting. I have hunted with three outfitters whose day fees were not excessive and all delivered wonderful accomodations.
One thing that I like are outfitters who have a PayPal link on their sites. Pawprint Safaris and Namibia Safari Corporation are two that do. There are quite a few others. This makes sending the outfitter money very easy. I wish more outfitters would do this and don't understand why they don't. It's NOT hard to set up. I absolutely hate wire transfers to foreign banks.
Good luck. Your dreams are attainable. Research everything.

You have given a good description of what would be an interesting hunt. I suspect that this can me done by communicating your wishes ahead of time. If fact by doing what you have done should help start you down that path. I will make 1 suggestion on someone to check with. First is Limpopo Big Game Safaris. I have another that I can't remember. Maybe later.....
Bruce

I believe you can still hunt self guided in Cameroon. By the time you pay for the entourage of camp staff, trackers and porters the costs would be prohibitive. I know of one outfit that does drop type hunts. I will try to find a name and PM you.
Cheers,
Cody

I believe you can still hunt self guided in Cameroon. By the time you pay for the entourage of camp staff, trackers and porters the costs would be prohibitive. I know of one outfit that does drop type hunts. I will try to find a name and PM you.
Cheers,
Cody
I know of that operation, a couple of aussies have done it, one was liberated of his belongings at gunpoint which puts me off. I did the sums and it was going to be over $20k plus hunt which for LDE and buffalo is a good price but still out of my range.

Going with a guide is something I'm willing to accept as a non negotiable

Check out Westfalen Safaris in Namibia. Won’t get your entire list but might suit you.

Check out Westfalen Safaris in Namibia. Won’t get your entire list but might suit you.
Thanks mate will do,

I don't have a list, eland is what i want everything else is area dependent. The species mentioned are just examples. The only species I'm not really interested in are gemsbok, springbok, hartebeest, warthog and blue wilderbeest.

Thanks mate will do,

I don't have a list, eland is what i want everything else is area dependent. The species mentioned are just examples. The only species I'm not really interested in are gemsbok, springbok, hartebeest, warthog and blue wilderbeest.
Oh man. If you hunt open range in Namibia you just have to become interested in gemsbok. Trying to take 38+ bull will drive you to distraction - make you yell at small children - anger your wife - call into question your manhood. Such an animal is worthy prey. As is walking down that eland bull.

Last edited:
The other one I was trying to remember is Pieter Kriel in RSA. Not sure much has been posted here about him. Over on the other network a search will reveal some info. I think he may be able to put something together for you.
Bruce

jp,

i live in alaska. i have hunted up here 35 years. i am a guide for brown bear, moose, sheep, caribou, etc. i have never been on a guided hunt until.....3 years ago. i went to an SCI banquet, and found a hunting company i liked, WOW Africa. they are not the only company to hunt with, but izak, the owner, was the guy there that i liked the best.

i am not a guy that needs frills. i have spent a few nights out on a dead moose, or sheep, without tent or food (except raw meat).

that said, there are multiple hunting outfits here on this site (or the outfit i hunted with, wow africa) that will accommodate you on a hunt that will pretty much meet or exceed your needs.

now, i have packed moose 4.5 miles ( you will NOT have to do that in Africa)(y)

the guide and trackers will accomodate your every need. if you don't want that level of service, go somewhere else! it was awesome to have someone else work so hard to get my game out. if you go with a reputable company, you will NOT be disappointed!!

Thanks mate will do,

Ok here is my thought for you: don’t try to be too worried about a “list” of animals you want to hunt. You’ve not yet been to Africa so the charms of certain animals are lost in you at this point. Example: from afar a Red Hartebeest does not light many people’s fire. Go hunt them in their native land and see what an incredible challenge they are and how clever they can be then everything changes. They make whitetail seem like a domestic animal!
If you want a real wild Africa experience in an open unfenced area that is budget friendly then I suggest Namibia and specifically Westfalen. John will listen to your wishes and ideas and apply them.
Philip

My free range eland from Namibia.
Philip

Thanks mate will do,

Ok here is my thought for you: don’t try to be too worried about a “list” of animals you want to hunt. You’ve not yet been to Africa so the charms of certain animals are lost in you at this point. Example: from afar a Red Hartebeest does not light many people’s fire. Go hunt them in their native land and see what an incredible challenge they are and how clever they can be then everything changes. They make whitetail seem like a domestic animal!
If you want a real wild Africa experience in an open unfenced area that is budget friendly then I suggest Namibia and specifically Westfalen. John will listen to your wishes and ideas and apply them.
Philip

I get what you mean, but to hunt something like a hartebeest which i personally consider an ugly animal (no offense) is a $1500 decision. That's a 10 day diy trip to nz and a week long high country hunt in australia for animals I am interested in. I'm a hunter more than a shooter so i don't see myself budging to shoot something I'm not interested in irrespective of whether it's a representative or a record book animal. I'd happily photograph them though!
As an example, last year hunting roe buck in Scotland I saw a nice red stag on the last afternoon. By that point it was clear there was little chance to shoot a roe and i do love hunting reds but it wasnt what i was after so i happily came back to aus without firing a shot, would do the same again.

Whitetail in the states on the otherhand is high on my list and something i hope to achieve in the not too distant future! Thinking of trying for MT rifle perhaps, got a non hunting mate in bozeman.

P.s. your pic didn't work but I'd love to see it.

A free range eland in Namibia is a fabulous hunt. Typically you find a bull's tracks at dawn and try to walk him down. You will come away in awe of the tracker's ability before you ever sight "your" bull. And as Phillip notes, they grow them big there ……..

And I know you have it all figured out about what to shoot, but just a bit of "wait and see" might not be misplaced.

I get what you mean, but to hunt something like a hartebeest which i personally consider an ugly animal (no offense) is a $1500 decision. That's a 10 day diy trip to nz and a week long high country hunt in australia for animals I am interested in. I'm a hunter more than a shooter so i don't see myself budging to shoot something I'm not interested in irrespective of whether it's a representative or a record book animal. I'd happily photograph them though!
As an example, last year hunting roe buck in Scotland I saw a nice red stag on the last afternoon. By that point it was clear there was little chance to shoot a roe and i do love hunting reds but it wasnt what i was after so i happily came back to aus without firing a shot, would do the same again.

Whitetail in the states on the otherhand is high on my list and something i hope to achieve in the not too distant future! Thinking of trying for MT rifle perhaps, got a non hunting mate in bozeman.

P.s. your pic didn't work but I'd love to see it.
The Red Hartebeest should only be around $800. I think one must decide if it’s the animal they are after or the experience? Of course you can have both but for me the experience combined with hunting animals common to the area I am in is important.
I see the pic not sure why it is not displaying?
Philip

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be the million answer thread!

I believe 80% of the people on these forum has guiding experience and aspires to hunt as much as posible. There are several countries in Africa where hunting without a PH is legal, but for some reason we are always told that is not posible to do so. Maybe for dangerous game you need a guide, but for plains game there is no need,,, similar to hunting on the Rocky Mountains, where meanwhile you are hunting for moose, you re in bear/wolf territory.

The only true barrier is the access to guns, which is limited and regulated but many local hunters do have them, so with the appropriate planning it is posible to either borrow a local gun or even bring in yours. Yes, be prepared to have every single paper and a lot of patience to go through customs, but you'll get thru. I remember standing under a tree for an entire day coming by land into Mauritania because the customs officer refused to open the gate and I had to wait for the next shift to arrive (i wasn't at a very busy customs post).

I really wish we revive this thread by sharing useful information (countries, governmental phone numbers or websites to get further info, "tips & tricks", etc).

Im from Spain, so I would be happy to share all similar info from my country.

An aging post (pre covid?) from a poster who hasn’t been around for months.
The beauty of trackers and professional hunters and spooring and stalking and the abundance, the variety of fascinating animals seems lost to the op. But good for him I guess.
As I read his posts I was thinking he would be better served in Alaska than Africa. But that’s just me I guess, so save me a spot by the fire tonight so we can talk about the amazing events that happen daily and we can toast the people we follow to success and the animals whose lives we have come to share!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.