RickK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Media
Member of
Life Member: SCI, DSC, NRA, CPRA
Hunted
Argentina: [Santa Fe, San Luis, Cordoba, La Pampa, Mendoza, Entre Rios, Buenos Aires, Neuguen], Brazil, Canada: [British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT], Iceland, Mexico: [Campeche, Aguascalientes, Baja, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Sinoloa], Mozambique, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay, U
The small deer species lives in the jungles in Mexico, South America, ranging from northern Argentina to Colombia and the Guianas. It also occurs on the island of Trinidad in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. This is one of the most coveted trophies in all of Mexico and North America for the international hunter.

Red Brocket Deer.jpg

I believe it´s a Mazama, or Brocket deer.

That needs to be exported to South Africa and you will have the new world record Red duiker!

Brockett deer , always wanted to do a hunt for them or the whitetail subspecies down in the jungle regions of Mexico.

Interesting critter!

I saw a tiny adult buck deer in Ecuador very similar, if not pretty much identical to your photo.
Except that, it seems like my dodgy memory recalls it as also having barely visible tusks, like a miniature version of the Chinese Water Deer, only with red fur and just the very tip of the tusks showing.
In Spanish I believe the name of it was "Pudu" and considered a rare / protected species there.

This IS a Brocket deer but there are two species. Which species is pictured?

Red Brocket Deer. Beautiful little deer and a challenging hunt..

Red Brocket Deer. Beautiful little deer and a challenging hunt..

Congratulations NKJonas. This is the Red Brocket Deer!

A Brocket deer no doubt.....I am not sure if it is a red Brocket.....at first glance and the taxonomy of the pictured animal loocks like a Brown Brocket Deer but really is to red......I am not sure.

There are tree diferent Brocket Deer species.....Red Brocket, Brown Brocket and the rare and elusive Dwarft Brocket Deer....

This is a post I have posted some time ago about the Brown Brocket Deer......

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/brown-brocket-deer-hunting-in-argentina.16425/

I am very happy to see some people interested in this not ussual trophies.....

Some Red Brockets.....is the bigger one of the family and note the face y very different than the Brown one

roja.jpg

roja 2.jpg

roja 3.jpg
roja 4.jpg

In my opinion the above picture correspond to a Brown Brocket too Red wich ussual to find a Brown-Red hair color....!!!!

Thanks for this thread Rick.....!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GerthaChristopher

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.