Do you know this trophy deer species?

RickK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life Member: SCI, DSC, NRA, CPRA
Hunted
Argentina: [Santa Fe, San Luis, Cordoba, La Pampa, Mendoza, Entre Rios, Buenos Aires, Neuguen], Brazil, Canada: [British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT], Iceland, Mexico: [Campeche, Aguascalientes, Baja, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Sinoloa], Mozambique, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay, U
The small deer species lives in the jungles in Mexico, South America, ranging from northern Argentina to Colombia and the Guianas. It also occurs on the island of Trinidad in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. This is one of the most coveted trophies in all of Mexico and North America for the international hunter.

Red Brocket Deer.jpg

Nyati

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
RFEC, RFETO
Hunted
Spain, Finland, RSA ( KwaZulu Natal, Limpopo, North West, Northern Cape, Free State ).
I believe it´s a Mazama, or Brocket deer.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
That needs to be exported to South Africa and you will have the new world record Red duiker!

Bsto270

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Brockett deer , always wanted to do a hunt for them or the whitetail subspecies down in the jungle regions of Mexico.

CAustin

Bronze supporter
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
Hunted
South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
Interesting critter!

Velo Dog

Silver supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member.
Hunted
Africa 5 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
I saw a tiny adult buck deer in Ecuador very similar, if not pretty much identical to your photo.
Except that, it seems like my dodgy memory recalls it as also having barely visible tusks, like a miniature version of the Chinese Water Deer, only with red fur and just the very tip of the tusks showing.
In Spanish I believe the name of it was "Pudu" and considered a rare / protected species there.

RickK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
Argentina: [Santa Fe, San Luis, Cordoba, La Pampa, Mendoza, Entre Rios, Buenos Aires, Neuguen], Brazil, Canada: [British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, NWT], Iceland, Mexico: [Campeche, Aguascalientes, Baja, Coahuila, Chihuahua, Sinoloa], Mozambique, New Zealand, South Africa, Uruguay, U
This IS a Brocket deer but there are two species. Which species is pictured?

nkjonas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
SCI, NWTF, DU, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Guatemala, South Africa x4, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Poland x2, Czech Republic, Spain.
Red Brocket Deer. Beautiful little deer and a challenging hunt..

RickK

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Hunted
Red Brocket Deer. Beautiful little deer and a challenging hunt..

Congratulations NKJonas. This is the Red Brocket Deer!

ROCKET

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
mghunting.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
Argentina, Bolivia, Paraguay, South Africa
A Brocket deer no doubt.....I am not sure if it is a red Brocket.....at first glance and the taxonomy of the pictured animal loocks like a Brown Brocket Deer but really is to red......I am not sure.

There are tree diferent Brocket Deer species.....Red Brocket, Brown Brocket and the rare and elusive Dwarft Brocket Deer....

This is a post I have posted some time ago about the Brown Brocket Deer......

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/brown-brocket-deer-hunting-in-argentina.16425/

I am very happy to see some people interested in this not ussual trophies.....

Some Red Brockets.....is the bigger one of the family and note the face y very different than the Brown one

roja.jpg

roja 2.jpg

roja 3.jpg
roja 4.jpg

In my opinion the above picture correspond to a Brown Brocket too Red wich ussual to find a Brown-Red hair color....!!!!

Thanks for this thread Rick.....!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MelbaThibo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Rifle57 wrote on Rimshot's profile.
I bought some bullets from Rimshot and he is good to trade with!
Greetings all! I've been a hunter for 50 years, but only now planning a trip to Africa. I was fortunate and successfully bid on a couple hunts for plains game in SA later this year and next. Also a rare Native Texas (5th generation) and USMC Vet. Hunt safe y'all!
uujm wrote on trg's profile.
I am looking for a Safari Express. Was yours made in New Haven or South Carolina? Any other details you can give me? I am very motivated to buy.
pimes wrote on flatwater bill's profile.
Hello Bill - can you tell me that landowner/ranch/outfitter - Thank you!
Pete0905 wrote on damundsen87's profile.
Hello
Is the Khales 1-6 still for sale?
Thanks
Josh