Do I need a 7mm Mag

If you're going to get another 7mm (280AI is a great round). Why not looking into something a little more efficient say a 28 Nosler or a 7PRC. Something that will let you take advantage of the heavy 7mm bullets.

If you are looking for a need, you have it cover with what's in your possession. If you have an itch...only one fix.
First time I've ever seen efficient and a Nosler cartridge mentioned together!

I’ll just speak of the smaller calibers. You can do most everything with the .243. I really like the 22-250, the Hornaday 55gr V Max will not exit a Badger, should be great for coyotes. It’s a very fun ctg. I’d get one!
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen - please meet @F. Vaccaro and his opinion on the 243WIN. :A Popcorn:

I’m trying to simplify things a bit by getting rid of some stuff. I got rid of my 260, 6.5, 7mm08. I kept my 243s and 308s and thinking about getting a 358. I got rid of my 25/06 and 280, and kept my 270s, 30/06s, 9.3x62s for now, and am building a couple 35 Whelens. I have a 300win I really like do I really need a 7mm mag? I think I could better let them go and get another 300win. Less brass, Less loaded ammo, less dies.

What do you guys think? I know you guys are all about more guns, but I’m sure I won’t have less guns just less calibers.

As long as I’m at it do I need a 22-250 if I have 223s and 243s?
So let me get this straight...

You sold the 260REM, 6.5CM, 7mm08, 25-06 & 280AI.
Kept 243WIN, 308WIN, 270WIN, 30-06 & 9.3x62 and are building a couple of 35W's.

And are wondering if you need a 7mmRM...

Short answer (IMO) is no, you don't. The only caveat is if you want it for special long range (punching paper) shooting beyond 1000 yards...then yes a 7PRC would be in order. But for hunting...no.

The biggest hole you have in your battery is above 9.3mm. Thinking a nice 416RM or 404J would be the next logical step.

What I can't figure out is why you sold the 25-06 but kept the 243WIN...:unsure: Anyway, it's your gun vault...who am to judge. Good luck with it.

The great ammo shortages of the last several years has taught me that I need more variety, not less.

If you are a serious, competent, reloader, then you can overcome it with enough powder, primers and bullets - no problem

I am a reluctant reloader. ( I have the equipment and know what I'm doing, but don't particularly want to spend my few precious free hours doing it). I don't really like to, unless I can save big $, or need to to get a very accurate load for a particular rifle.

If you live in the good ole' USA, and can own an unlimited collection of rifles, then variety is the spice of life!

So let me get this straight...

You sold the 260REM, 6.5CM, 7mm08, 25-06 & 280AI.
Kept 243WIN, 308WIN, 270WIN, 30-06 & 9.3x62 and are building a couple of 35W's.

And are wondering if you need a 7mmRM...

Short answer (IMO) is no, you don't. The only caveat is if you want it for special long range (punching paper) shooting beyond 1000 yards...then yes a 7PRC would be in order. But for hunting...no.

The biggest hole you have in your battery is above 9.3mm. Thinking a nice 416RM or 404J would be the next logical step.

What I can't figure out is why you sold the 25-06 but kept the 243WIN...:unsure: Anyway, it's your gun vault...who am to judge. Good luck with it.
@BeeMaa
I'm wondering the same thing mate. Sell a 25-06 and keep a 243, WOW.
But then again why would anyone want a 243 to start with.
The 25-06 will run rings around the 243 any day and twice on Sundays.
Bob

You need a 223 because you can almost always find ammo, or at least it's cheap enough to buy a bunch to get thru the dumb ammo shortages we seem to have every few years.

You DO need a 22-250, because it's awesome. Great for coyotes and other vermin. It's just fun.

And you do need a 243 for the windy days that blow the 22 cals off course... At least that is what I've heard, lol. I did shoot a mule deer doe at a couple of hundred yards with one, and it worked well... Or if you're a gardener, I've read that they make great tomato stakes...

I’m trying to simplify things a bit by getting rid of some stuff. I got rid of my 260, 6.5, 7mm08. I kept my 243s and 308s and thinking about getting a 358. I got rid of my 25/06 and 280, and kept my 270s, 30/06s, 9.3x62s for now, and am building a couple 35 Whelens. I have a 300win I really like do I really need a 7mm mag? I think I could better let them go and get another 300win. Less brass, Less loaded ammo, less dies.

What do you guys think? I know you guys are all about more guns, but I’m sure I won’t have less guns just less calibers.

As long as I’m at it do I need a 22-250 if I have 223s and 243s?

I appreciate your enthusiasm and you have owned a number of good calibers. As I get older I find that I want much higher quality guns in fewer calibers. There are a few calibers you can anchor your collection to and then build switch hitters in the middle. Certainly, there are great calibers in-between but the point of your thread is downsizing and consolidating. You also are asking if you need a 7mm mag specifically. I’d say there are prettier guns that fill that niche, but yes, you should have a 7mm of some sort.

My consolidated list of calibers that do something unique / efficiently:

.22lr

.243w (you now have a varmint to small deer rifle)

7x57, 7x64, .280, or your 7mm Rem (You now have a versatile medium game rifle for small deer up to kudu/elk)

9.3x62 Or 375HH (you now have a do-all for heavy plains game, moose, bear, eland, and as a backup dangerous game rifle)

404, 450/400, or 470NE (You now have a dedicated dangerous game rifle)

577NE, 500Jeff, 505Gibbs (Only required if you need a profound stopping rifle as an avid elephant hunter or a professional)

So in the list above, you’d be remiss to not have a 7mm class rifle as that gun and the 9.3/375 are the two most used in the entire list. I hope they’re attractive high quality ones because they are a frequent companion.

In the end, my little roster requires at max 6 rifles, and if you have no aspirations for small game nor aspirations of being a professional, that list is reduced to 4 guns.

I’m now in the further refinement chapter of my life where I’d like to own best guns to displace some of these more common calibers. Someday I’ll have a best 240 apex and I’ll let loose of the 243 as an example. But the 7mm class? That’s the one that gets used A LOT.

I meant mostly varmints, with small deer & Antelope.
Anytime you mention anything about a .243, someone is bound to get Bob involved. Far less about what you actually said and much more about needling poor Bob, lol. It's become a bit of an AH pasttime to get him going anytime the "merits" of the .243 or negatives about the 35 whelen are being discussed... :E Happy:

Anytime you mention anything about a .243, someone is bound to get Bob involved. Far less about what you actually said and much more about needling poor Bob, lol. It's become a bit of an AH pasttime to get him going anytime the "merits" of the .243 or negatives about the 35 whelen are being discussed... :E Happy:
Awwww Bob & I agree on most things. That we kinda disagree about the usefulness of the .243 is we agree to disagree. No animosity, I do believe as Bob does, people use it above its capabilities & use the wrong bullet at times.

Awwww Bob & I agree on most things. That we kinda disagree about the usefulness of the .243 is we agree to disagree. No animosity, I do believe as Bob does, people use it above its capabilities & use the wrong bullet at times.
@F.Vaccaro
Agree mate all the wounded game I've seen with the 243 has been a case of wrong bullet choice for the game. Used within its limitations with the corrected bullet it does get the job done most times. The problem arises with muppets expectations for it.
Bob

A lot of guys around here use the 22-250 for coyotes. It does really puts them down. I feel that the 243 does less damage. Especially if you stay away from the “varmint bullets” I have been using the fed 80gr. powder shok cheap and so far seems to expand and go through without a big hole. Like you said the 223 is cheaper and does ok for most instances.
I reckon the .223 has probably put more dogs on the ground in Australia than most others.
Our Dingo is maybe a similar size to your Coyote. No doubt tons of Coyote have been taken with Ar15 rifles.
That aside .223 is common in Australia and often used on Dingoes.

About the 7mmRM , as a kid I know one accomplished shooter who felt the 7Rm was punching through dogs. Maybe just a projectile issue of the time but its what he said.

I hunted Africa with a 7mmRm . Worked on all 10 animals but my PH also said he feels a .300wm is a good choice to cover plains game. There are a lot of personal preferences and you might have to follow yours or we would try talk you into all sorts of things.

I'm trying to work out what my needs are vs what I want. Thinking of what covers the bases thinning the herd to simplify everything but then I try find reason to have something else for a specific use.

I reckon the .223 has probably put more dogs on the ground in Australia than most others.
Our Dingo is maybe a similar size to your Coyote. No doubt tons of Coyote have been taken with Ar15 rifles.
That aside .223 is common in Australia and often used on Dingoes.

About the 7mmRM , as a kid I know one accomplished shooter who felt the 7Rm was punching through dogs. Maybe just a projectile issue of the time but its what he said.

I hunted Africa with a 7mmRm . Worked on all 10 animals but my PH also said he feels a .300wm is a good choice to cover plains game. There are a lot of personal preferences and you might have to follow yours or we would try talk you into all sorts of things.

I'm trying to work out what my needs are vs what I want. Thinking of what covers the bases thinning the herd to simplify everything but then I try find reason to have something else for a specific use.
@CBH Australia
Easy Chris.
22 centerfire
Fast 25
35 Whelen
40 cal or bigger.
Done simples.
Bob

I have had 2 rifles in 7mm Rem Mag and absolutely LOVE the cartridge!!!

-Low Recoil for a Magnum
-High BC
-High SD
-Excellent Bullet Selection
-Good rifle selection
-Common Brass

It shoots fast, flat, and potentially accurate.

An excellent cartridge!!!

A lot of guys around here use the 22-250 for coyotes. It does really puts them down. I feel that the 243 does less damage. Especially if you stay away from the “varmint bullets” I have been using the fed 80gr. powder shok cheap and so far seems to expand and go through without a big hole. Like you said the 223 is cheaper and does ok for most instances.
Now you see, Bob Nelson 35 Whelen--the 243 is a good COYOTE gun....

After re-readng your OP, I'd recommend parting ways with your 7MM Mag. You have all ready removed your other 7mm rounds, the 7mm-08 and the 280 Rem from your collection so why keep the 7mm Mag. I really like and wanted to buy a new 7mm PRC, whats not to like about a 175 grain bullet moving at 3000 fps. Then I realized that my 300 WM shoots a 180 grain bullet at 3000 fps with a group of less than a 1/2 minute at 100 yards. So do I need the PRC, no, but I still want one. I also want to take my son to Africa so the questin is what do I want more.

In truth I'm not a big fan of the 300WM, at the ranges I prefer to hunt (300 yards or less) my 30-06 is just as effective without the extera recoil, if I need to shoot past 300 yards I'll use my 270. However my prefered round is the 35 Whelen, the Whelen is so effective on game at my prefered hunting distances that my 300WM is just a safe queen.
"my preferred round is the 35 Whelen"....,you aren't by any chance related to a guy named Bob Nelson, are you?

Maybe what you need is not a Rem 7mm Mag, but a better hotter 7mm Mag? Then you can start the all engrossing hobby of distance shooting in earnest. Inline6 suggested the 28 Nosler, there are others, like the 7mm Practical. If you are going to fill a niche, fill it right!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg