Do hides and horns have to go to usda facility?

kevin masters

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
us mexico alaska south africa
I am going to eastern cape with hopes of a nyala and waterbuck. when I have them imported can they just be shipped to my house? I'm sure this has been answered before but couldn't find it, as always thanks for the info guy's!

They can be shipped anywhere.

Primates, swine, and birds I believe go to the USDA facility

Last year all I had was plains game no swine, primates or birds and wanted to pick up to save some money but the crate was sent by courier as it had to go to a USDA facility which is my taxidermist. Based on that event I would say yes to your question.

Depends on the inspector. I understand that you are supposed to be able to have it shipped to your home if you want but that isn't always the case.
I just had a crate come in from Argentina and it had to go to a USDA facility. No explanation as to why.

Bovine, birds, primates and pork all must be inspected. Waterbuck and nyala do not and can be shipped to your doorstep-but you must notify your shipping company of this plan well ahead of time. A usda facility can be a tannery or taxidermist of your choosing. East cape trip you should have a kudu on your list!

Bovine, birds, primates and pork all must be inspected. Waterbuck and nyala do not and can be shipped to your doorstep-but you must notify your shipping company of this plan well ahead of time. A usda facility can be a tannery or taxidermist of your choosing. East cape trip you should have a kudu on your list!
already have two but......

I’ve had 4 shipments, one dip and pack with a warthog, it went to USDA approved taxidermist in Michigan (2015) one had finished baboon and bushpig (2021) no USDA inspection. The other two were both delivered in 2022, one in June and one in August. Both finished taxidermy with no primate, avian or swine and one went to USDA and one didn’t so anyone’s guess is as good as the next guy’s. All were cleared in Atlanta by coppersmiths except the first one it was cleared by D&L customs house brokers. Don’t help much does it .

One question for those that had a shipment go to a USDA shop, where was it suppose to go to on the shipping invoice.

Last year I got a finished warthog both skull and shoulder mount and a baboon skull shipped directly to me at my home. In 2015 if I would of shot a warthog it would of went directly to the tannery that has the USDA certification. It wouldn't of gone to my taxidermist since he wasn't certified.

Not sure, would have to find the document on shipping. As any dealing with govment and their employees there is no real answer to the question. It is like the swirl in the bottom of the tub. I was just happy to get my crate. Only $150 to ship to the taxidermy shop, I went there and opened upon delivery.

I’ve had 4 shipments, one dip and pack with a warthog, it went to USDA approved taxidermist in Michigan (2015) one had finished baboon and bushpig (2021) no USDA inspection. The other two were both delivered in 2022, one in June and one in August. Both finished taxidermy with no primate, avian or swine and one went to USDA and one didn’t so anyone’s guess is as good as the next guy’s. All were cleared in Atlanta by coppersmiths except the first one it was cleared by D&L customs house brokers. Don’t help much does it .
Who's on first, what's on second and I don't know is on third? And WE get to pay for it when bringing taxidermy to home plate from Africa. I believe I'm done with only one PG hunt under my belt(ed) magnum. LOL

A big thing on where your shipment goes is going to depend on your importer.

If you handle it yourself it will depend on where you tell the shipper to ship it, however you may get screwed up once your crate hits customs. But still they will just forward the crate to the address on the label unless you have stuff inside that needs to go to a USDA shop.

Ok bunch of miss information here.
Birds, swine, monkeys, and ruminants are primarily what, when thinking of Southern Africa, they are looking for. Depend on areas they could require certain antelopes. That includes all pieces and parts there of. Also if any of the above are crated with other animals then it all has to go. It also depends on which USDA agent is working on your stuff. Many of them know about as much about it as the common Joe and will make all of it go regardless.

according to Coppersmiths in Chicago, if the shipment lands in Atlanta it will clear there with no storage fees and will travel on to the next airport. if (like mine coming on Turkish Airlines) they land in Chicago and have to clear agriculture there (mine are all finished product no primate) before Coppersmiths can receive it . makes no sense to me but I will be hit with a big storage fee per day

According to what I have been told ALL unfinished trophy’s have to go to USDA approve facility. If you have unfinished primates or swine they have to go in crate separate from all the rest.

Please google search “usda fact sheet.” This should give you clear and accurate information.
IMG_9076.jpeg

If it wasn’t for the storage fees to most this shouldn’t be a big deal. If I remember correctly the USDA/APHIS inspection is a flat fee for up to 5 animals and something like $5 for every animal above 5. I think the flat fee was like $25 or $30.

All unfinished products goes to a USDA approved quarantine facility.

If they are finished products they don't.

What is the difference between buying a Zebra skin fom Joburg airport or buying finished products at a curio shop in Zim or having shoulder mounts shipped to you?

so why do we pay for dip and pack if it does not include an aphis import permit.
We are paying on the front and back end for the same service

All dip and pack goes to USDA facility. Just got stuck with that adder last week. USDA clearance fee of $312.28. And they did the tanning as well. Two skins. Two skulls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JonathanG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.