NAPHA

Reaction score
Website
www.napha-namibia.com
Media
Member of
NAPHA
Disciplinary Action Taken Against Outfitter Conducting Leopard Hunt with Hounds

On September 11, 2009 a South African citizen, farmer, PH, outfitter and hound master conducted a leopard hunt with hounds in the Khomashochland, Namibia with a Canadian client. Said South African is not a registered professional hunter in Namibia, and does not have a valid work permit for Namibia.

The Canadian hunter booked his hunt through a foreign based booking agent directly with the SA hunting outfit that belongs to the SA hound master. He allegedly has an business agreement (partnership) with an Namibian outfitter.

The trophy was taken on land for which the hunting Licence was not issued, this is not permitted . The Namibian PH (no NAPHA member) was not present when the Leopard was shot.

All three individuals involved, the Canadian hunter, the Namibian PH and the SA dog handler unconditionally admitted that they hunted illegally.

Formal charges have been laid by the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism against the Namibian outfitter, the Namibian PH as well as the South African dog handler. The MET confiscated the skin as it originated from an illegal hunt.

A disciplinary action has been launched against the owner of the outfitting company, who is a NAPHA member.

NAPHA you are on the right track however if you fail to let us know who the outfitter is, how does that benefit us hunters?

In your previous post Zero Tolerance Policy for Misconduct and Ethical Violations NAPHA states "We will inform clients about illegal operations of their PH’s/outfitters." but even though the parties involved all unconditionally admitted that they hunted illegally there is no mention of names?

It is with great interest that I have been reading all of these posts from NAPHA... I have to say that I too agree with Safari Hunter, although I think that NAPHA is on the right track... why not announce the names of those outfitters or individuals who break the law, hunt illegally or who are unethical to protect would be hunters and to give those who may act in unethical ways reason to be afraid?

I have to agree with Safari Chick and Safari Hunter. As you know I am not a big fan of internet crucifictions because it is all too often used and abused. In this instance we have an investigation by NAPHA in which it would seem that all parties involved have admitted guilt, the leopard was confiscated and disciplinary action is in the works.

It would seem appropriate for the names to be published, unless there is some issue we have not been made aware of.

.....I agree with Safari Hunter & Safari Chick that the names of the outfitter should be released! That's the only way hunters might steer away from these type of outfits! Although I fully agree with Skyline about internet crucifictions, these parties all admitted they were in the wrong and their names should be posted!!
Good job NAPHA - keep up the good work in stopping poaching!!

Internet crucifixion (spelling?) is a little different when it is one forum member or a single blogger laying out the case. Additional data or evidence should be demanded by all.

In this situation, the information was provided by a representative of an established and recognized industry organization with a very high level of credibility. Also this organization has a strong vested interest in only providing accurate information.

Release of the name would be a responsible action in this case.

- browningbbr

I am in agreement with each of the previous posts and highly suspect that no matter how long this topic was held open for discussion an overwhelming majority would agree with the premise that the violater should be identified. If not, it would seem that NAPHA's actions in this or similar situations have little or no value to the general hunting community.

Or could it be that NAPHA is waiting for a court conviction prior to naming anyone? . . . NAPHA?

Disciplinary Action Taken Against Outfitter Conducting Leopard Hunt with Hounds

On September 11, 2009 a South African citizen, farmer, PH, outfitter and hound master conducted a leopard hunt with hounds in the Khomashochland, Namibia with a Canadian client. Said South African is not a registered professional hunter in Namibia, and does not have a valid work permit for Namibia.

The Canadian hunter booked his hunt through a foreign based booking agent directly with the SA hunting outfit that belongs to the SA hound master. He allegedly has an business agreement (partnership) with an Namibian outfitter.

The trophy was taken on land for which the hunting Licence was not issued, this is not permitted . The Namibian PH (no NAPHA member) was not present when the Leopard was shot.

All three individuals involved, the Canadian hunter, the Namibian PH and the SA dog handler unconditionally admitted that they hunted illegally.

Formal charges have been laid by the Namibian Ministry of Environment and Tourism against the Namibian outfitter, the Namibian PH as well as the South African dog handler. The MET confiscated the skin as it originated from an illegal hunt.

A disciplinary action has been launched against the owner of the outfitting company, who is a NAPHA member.

The South African citizen, farmer, PH, outfitter and hound master who conducted this leopard hunt with hounds in the Khomashochland in Namibia is Nico Lourens AKA "The Leopard King". The Namibian PH (not a NAPHA member) who was not present when the Leopard was shot is Horst Hanssen. The PH Horst Hanssen in this case was prosecuted and fined by the magistrates court in Windhoek. The South African dog handler Nico Lourens went back to SA so he could not be summonsed before a Namibian court. Attached is a screen shot of the South African dog handler Nico Lourens with his Canadian hunting client Doug Prince, the picture is entitled "Doug Prince, Ft.McMurray, Alberta and Nico Lourens with Doug's exceptional leopard taken in Namibian..." The hunter Doug Prince published himself the photo of his Leopard on the internet check it out by clicking here.

Attachments

• leopard.jpg
    leopard.jpg
    857.9 KB · Views: 306
Jerome thank you for the up date..

Fort McMurray is a small place...been there...

Wonder if this is the same Doug Prince who is the Secretary of the local Fish and Game Associatiurl=http://www.fmfg.ca/about]Club Information | Fort McMurray Fish and Game Association[/url]
i am inquiring as to whether he is indeed the secretary. i know some locals.

Kuduman, It would be interesting to here his side of the story.
Sounds like an experienced hunter, given his other posted pictures on the referenced site.

i have contacted the fish and game club that he is an executive member of. they responded that it was non of their business if he was involved in an illegal hunt. i replyed that i believe it should be their business if an executive member was involved in an illegal hunt as it reflects poorly on their fish and game club. i asked them to have mr. prince contact me personally so i could get his side of the story.

i have contacted the fish and game club that he is an executive member of. they responded that it was non of their business if he was involved in an illegal hunt. i replyed that i believe it should be their business if an executive member was involved in an illegal hunt as it reflects poorly on their fish and game club. i asked them to have mr. prince contact me personally so i could get his side of the story.

Kuduman, As BRICKBURN said it would be interesting to hear the story from the Canadian client Doug Prince... However he most probably did not know that what was happening was illegal and is a victim in this situation.

Interesting attitude and response from a conservation association member who's membership claims to operate under a code of ethics.

Specifically number one!

Alberta Fish & Game Association - Organizational Profile

Code of Ethics:

Ethical Outdoor Persons:

1. Will know and strictly obey all fish and game laws and all other laws governing the conduct of the outdoors activity or recreation being pursued.
2. Will support and actively participate in organizations concerned with the welfare of the resources upon which their recreations depend the fish, the wildlife, the land, and the air and the water and shall always be vigilant that their knowledge of and skills in the recreation and understanding of the quarry, if any, are of the highest order and shall ensure that their own activities and those of others are not unfair and do not harm the resources generally.
3. Will consider and respect the rights and concerns of the public generally and practice their recreations with strict observance of the rules (i.e. firearms safety in hunting).
4. Will respect, preserve and protect private property, particularly the land, property and rights of private land owners.
5. Will engage in their recreations only with other ethical participants and will treat those other participants with courtesy and respect, unless and until individuals demonstrate they are unworthy of such consideration.
6. Will strive always, individually and through organizations, to pass on to the next generation the knowledge, skills and ethical traditions of various outdoors recreations.

i also believe that he was a victim of the situation. when hunters book a hunt in africa, they would certainly think that they were not going down to participate in an illegal hunt.

Kuduman, I would like DOUG PRINCES side of the story, embarrassing as that may be.
He now knows that he did participate in an illegal hunt. (from the post above)
It can happen to anyone.
It will not happen to me.

Intention or otherwise it is important for hunters to start asking questions so they are not part of the problem.
We should be asking to see copies of the permits, licenses, PH licences, CAE, MET, etc. before going hunting.

My nightmare:
I encountered a Salmon fishing guide in BC a few years back that had an interesting interpretation of the law. He espoused that you could have TWO possession limits of fish; One for the Ocean and One for the Fresh Water. Interesting interpretation.
Obviously he was not capable of comprehending what the synopsis said and was selling fishing trips of two days on the ocean and two days on the river.
We all actively questioned him about it and he vehemently assured us he was correct.

When we arrived back at our cabin we all reread the rules. Of course we were right.
Shear stupid luck we were not charged.
I no longer believe it unless I see it. The old adage: "Ignorance of the law is no excuse"

Now I appreciate the PH's and Outfitters posting ALL their licence numbers and the farm number for hunting offered here on AH.
Of course someone can lie. At least it gives you a place to start the true due diligence on your part as the hunter so you do not participate in an illegal hunt through stupidity or a greedy criminal enterprise.

"Marty" has written repeatedly about people booking hunts through other countries being an issue.
For instance: RSA PH's in ZIM. Not allowed. They are different countries with different laws.

It is the same with RSA PH's in Namibia. They are different countries they can not guide you.

There are repeated complaints about RSA operators in ZIM. The cheap trophy fee and day rate will only get your trophies so far.
The bribes won't get them past the border in the first instance, never mind the other THREE borders they will have to cross to get them to your home.

It appears the only thing DOUG PRINCE has is a trophy picture of an illegal Leopard hunt that he can post and "be proud of"!!

Good luck with your due diligence on booking your hunts.

Brickburn

A simple response would be nice...however, does he even belong to the forum or are we beating a head horse just for fun.

In Africa situations arise. (as they do elsewhere in the world) However the PH or outfitter is held to a higher standard and is the responsible party.

Say, an animal is wounded and is tracked for a day or two and moves off your concession.

It happens all the time when you hunt the border areas and if you do not know the lay of the land you just simply step into another concession or state or county or even country in the back woods.

That being said i do believe where i read that an elephant hunter shot and wounded an elephant in one country (hunting near the border) and tracked the elephant and finally killed it in the adjoining country...the PH did not let the hunter know that they were in a different country.

Many laws were broken and as you say ignorance is no defense of the law.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg