Fabnosh

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
United Kingdom, Spain, Norway, South Africa, Namibia
Morning all

Like many, I've followed the debate about the DGX range and, I suspect, also like many have sat on the fence until the collective consciousness reaches a conclusion.

My hand was slightly forced as the regulation load for my double is no longer available - at least not in the UK - so I had to work up a new load that printed well with both softs and solids and the DGX and DGS bullets were the only readily available option on bullet choice I had. Given the lack of perceived confidence (or experience) in the new bonded bullet, I was a little concerned.

Anyway, nice grouping load with both DGX/DGS, shooting well, so off to Africa for a Buff.

To get my eye in I shot three Impala with the double and all was fine. As one would expect, the results were very fatal and there was only minimal evidence of expansion which, given the bullet construction and the nature of the target, wasn't a surprise and also showed that the bullet hadn't gone boom on impact. With such limited evidence I'm not sure why I felt a little reassured.....but I did.

A 490Kg Buff went down with a single shot. The slightly quartered shot that went through the top of the heart and came to rest in the opposite shoulder. The bullet was recovered just under the skin.

As you can see, it opened up but stayed largely intact and retained 79% of its original weight. It appears to have only lost one of the segments en route through the beast which I suspect represents most of that lost weight.

A sample size of one should only be taken at face value, but I certainly found this to be a very effective bullet.

Hope that helps

FN

IMG_3936.jpg
IMG_3937.jpg
IMG_3938.jpg

Fabnosh, great news and thanks for the report, i am in the same boat with my 500-450 3-1/4" NE, waiting on the 480gr DGS solids to be delivered, the 480gr DGX's came to perfect regulation with 108gr IMR-7828 for 2142 fps, Thanks again for the pics and report Sir.

Thank you for the field report Fabnosh - are you talking about the "old" DGX, true? I mean, not the new DGX Bonded...

Very interesting read, my new incoming double rifle in .375 Flanged Magnum is also regulated for 300 grains Hornady DGX/DGS so its nice to see that it performs as advertised :)

The collective consciousness is not a great place to use for decision making- Biden is the result :ROFLMAO:

No one can argue with results and that looks pretty decent. Maybe some others will be along shortly and contribute some more pictures. Did that bullet break any bones in the shoulder ?

Hopefully their problems are sorted.

Yes, that's a keen observation on the collective consciousness lol.

The bullet took out one rib at the point of entry and although there were bone fragments around the recovered bullet - which I think were from something around the shoulder rather than a carry through from the rib, it certainly didn't crash through any of the main shoulder bones after hitting the heart.

FN

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zbet7me01

Latest profile posts

sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!
swashington wrote on 112Savage's profile.
May be interested in that LH Ruger in 375R. got any pics?
We bagged a big old buff with hunter from Norway check out our post!!