Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
This is not mine and I have no part in the sale, I just saw it was a good deal and wanted to let the membership know. I ran across this about a week ago and it's still out there. This is a crazy good deal. The safari stock and 458WM barrel alone are worth more than the asking price. This would be awesome for someone looking to get into the Blaser R8 game and go DG/PG hunting. Cheers and have a Happy Christmas.

1639647490053.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.25 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 163
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.27 AM.png
    581.3 KB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-16 at 9.12.29 AM.png
    411.1 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
The advertisement says it comes with a .458 Lott barrel? Even a better deal!

The advertisement says it comes with a .458 Lott barrel? Even a better deal!
Yeah, my bad on that. Should have been 458LOTT in the title and original post. At least you can shoot the 458WM out of the 458LOTT. :cool:

Yeah, my bad on that. Should have been 458LOTT in the title and original post. At least you can shoot the 458WM out of the 458LOTT. :cool:

Ah something new I just learned, that one can shoot the 458WM in a 458Lott.

Ah something new I just learned, that one can shoot the 458WM in a 458Lott.
Yeah, kinda like shooting 38SPL out of a 357MAG.

The 458LOTT cartridge was designed by Jack Lott to address the (perceived) shortcomings of the 458WM. Jack was in fact injured by a Cape Buffalo that he shot with the 458WM and then set out to design a cartridge that delivered on the performance that was originally touted by Winchester. It seems that Winchester was more than a bit optimistic when reporting velocity and energy ratings. The 458LOTT delivered the goods in a longer cartridge based on the 458WM.

This is not mine and I have no part in the sale, I just saw it was a good deal and wanted to let the membership know. I ran across this about a week ago and it's still out there. This is a crazy good deal. The safari stock and 458WM barrel alone are worth more than the asking price. This would be awesome for someone looking to get into the Blaser R8 game and go DG/PG hunting. Cheers and have a Happy Christmas.

View attachment 441948
A good used R8 is like finding a unicorn!

View attachment 441948

Thought you had seen sense...but nope.... :X3: :X3::X3::A Banana::D Beers::E Big Grin:

Thank goodness it is a Lott....

Then I've sold three unicorns just this year! Lol!
Toby maybe it’s just my luck. I looked for anything used a few years ago for my son And found nothing but collectors models. Of course AH is a great place to buy and sell good quality stuff like this.
I love our R8’s and am happy to welcome all the new folks to “The Club”!
Philip

so this Blaser R8 has been eating at me and eating at me! The only Blaser rifle i own is the R93 in 300 WM so im not UP on their interchangeable stuff at all. I AM ON THE RAZORS EDGE HEADED TOWARDS BUYING THIS! If you Blaser R8 guys can clue me in a bit it would help me a bunch! So from what i could see the stock is about $2300 and the 300 barrel is about $2300 and then a bolt would be needed on top of those two and then would that be a complete rifle other then magazine or is there a fire control/trigger group set up or? Im going to have to try and call them today and see if i can get someone put hands on it for condition etc as the ad is week on details other then caliber and even then it makes mistakes a couple times so i need some solid answers from Euro for sure.

My main question on this "system" is what other calibers can i add to it and i would assume that bolt fact size would determine that unless getting a new bolt with another caliber barrel? I have had a few multi caliber HSP sets of takedowns over the years but im not up on these at all but if its that good of a deal i though about giving it a try.

Let me know what you R8 guys think of the deal on it. It must not be too great of a deal or it would be gone already, correct? Thanks for any help in advance!

@gprippers - I've spoken with a couple of other members about this particular rifle. It's a smoking deal. Why has no one picked it up...maybe tight on money at the end of the year because of Christmas or any number of other reasons. I'd be less concerned about what other are (or are not) doing and more concerned with what you would like.

Without calling Euro Optic this is what I know...

The 458LOTT barrel is 22mm (safari weight) and so the stock is channeled out to accept a 22mm barrel along with the 19mm (semi-weight) and 17mm (standard weight). Although the gap is a little unsightly between the barrel and stock with a 17mm barrel in a 22mm channel.

The 300WM barrel is a 19mm semi-weight barrel with a barrel band sling swivel. I know this for sure because I have this exact barrel on my wife's rifle. They call it a Selous barrel, but if you look at the fine print it shows that it's a 19mm.

The stock most likely has a steel receiver installed instead of an aluminum one. The receiver material makes no difference on the caliber you want to shoot, only the weight of the rifle. Aluminum receivers are rated for all calibers.

The stock most likely has a kickstop (stainless steel cylinder with tungsten beads filling it) ranging in weight from 12-16 oz. This can be removed fairly easily to reduce the weight. Also this stock will not have a front sling swivel because Blaser assumes you will be using the ones attached to the barrel.

Your R93 scope mounts can be used on the R8 barrels. It's the only part that does cross between the two models. Plus this kit comes with a scope mount as well. Anything you decide not to use I'm sure can find a home with another AH member.

If you want to talk about it, I sent you a PM with my info. Good luck with your decision.

I was just on euro optics website and I could be seeing this wrong but it looked to me like they had three of these combo kits for sale.

I was just on euro optics website and I could be seeing this wrong but it looked to me like they had three of these combo kits for sale.
They show three, but only one is in stock. These are no longer in production as a set. You can assemble them to make the kit from pieces, but at a much greater cost. Another member and I were figuring that if you were to assemble this set from new pieces, it would be around $10K.

Just the Blaser R8 in 458LOTT complete rifle is $6.5K on GB. Add in the 300WM Selous barrel ($3K), the case ($650 if you can find one)...it adds up quick. Which is exactly why I was considering buying this rifle, but alas my bride has other plans...

@BeeMaa , minor correction. The ad on the website indicates no scope mount is included. Not a deal breaker but just pointing it out to a potential buyer for accuracy sake.

@BeeMaa , minor correction. The ad on the website indicates no scope mount is included. Not a deal breaker but just pointing it out to a potential buyer for accuracy sake.
I was stating that the scope mounts he has for his R93 will fit the R8. I saw that the deal doesn't include a scope mount, but appreciate the clarification.

I have been watching these 3 identical sets from the beginning. One sold within a day, the second one within a week, and I too am a bit surprised that the third one is still there after two months or so.

The math is simple:

1640294952321.png

EuroOptic website

Compared to:

1640299643784.png

EuroOptic website

1640299158520.png

Ebay

Unless my calculator is wrong, the components, new, cost $12,318 and the used offer (a demo package from Euro-Optics) represents a $5,828 or 47% saving.

If anyone is seriously looking at it (gprippers ?) I would recommend a call to EuroOptic to verify that:
  1. the stock is indeed a Big Bore stock WITH STEEL INSERT.
  2. the stock INCLUDES the 16 oz. kickstop.
If the answers to both questions are yes, this is a truly good deal and I would suggest you jump on it presto. I would not be deterred even an instant by the fact that this is a demo set. Truth be told, I even considered buying it myself to resale for a profit in a few months at the beginning of the 2022 season...

There is a remote possibility that this is not a steel insert stock, and that it does not have the 16 oz. kickstop insert, in which case it is still a $3,200 or 25% saving...

My own recommendation would be that what is truly important for the .458 Lott barrel is to have the steel insert stock (not from a mechanical strength point of view, but from a weight point of view, as stated by BeeMaa). The 16 oz. kickstop is a bit overkill. I took mine out and it is still perfectly controllable in .458 Lott at 11.5 lbs. with a Leica Magnus 1-6.3x24 scope on board.

Last edited:
I have been fighting the urge for a long time. When they had 4 listed. Talked to them on the phone. Stock market has been a blood bath, all extra funds have been buying the deals.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KazukoWink

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.