Delta just cancelled June 1 ATL to JNB flight

Until Uncle Joe opens up the US to NON Citizen travelers, Delta will continue to cancel its Jburg run. Why run a flight over when they know it will be empty coming back. Just good business sense.
Unpopular opinion; but, it’s got nothing to do with Uncle Joe.

Delta scrapped their Boeing 777 fleet. Now using the Airbus A350. Trouble is; due to Johannesburg’s elevation the A350 cannot reach ATL at maximum payload. Forcing Delta to make a stop in Cape Town to add the fuel necessary for the trip to the States.

There are many problems we can lay at the feet of ol’ Joe. But; if being intellectually honest, this one falls at the feet of Delta. Choosing an aircraft poorly suited for the job plus adding a 4 hour delay to everyone’s return trip wasn’t gonna play well either way.

Last edited:
Just returned yesterday and used Qatar through Doha. Yes the flight is long but they have been the only airline that has been consistently flying. This was my first time with Qatar and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

What is the prognosis on travel to Europe? With the COVID numbers declining I am wondering why restrictions aren’t being lifted.
Good question and we are watching it closely. My spouse and I have Austria and Hungary planned for October.

Apparently France just ordered another hard lockdown, Germany has a spike on going, and the UK remains a mess. A major contributor to Europe's problem is a glacial vaccination effort (all those incredibly efficient social medical systems). :rolleyes:

Most countries in Europe, including France and Germany are running 3-4% fully vaccinated rates. In contrast, 30% of the US population has received one dose as of today and nearly 17% are fully vaccinated.

Delta scrapped their Boeing 777 fleet. Now using the Airbus A350. Trouble is; due to Johannesburg’s elevation the A350 cannot reach ATL at maximum payload. Forcing Delta to make a stop in Cape Town to add the fuel necessary for the trip to the States.

There are many problems we can lay at the feet of ol’ Joe. But; if being intellectually honest, this one falls at the feet of Delta. Choosing an aircraft poorly suited for the job plus adding a 4 hour delay to everyone’s return trip wasn’t gonna play well either way.
Actually, this is somewhat good news. I would much rather deal with an incompetent business case than another wave of Covid driven cancellations.

I thought you could fly Dallas to Qatar then direct to Johannesburg. No?

Oh yes, you can, it’s a lot longer travel time!! I can get from Pit to JNB in 18-19 hours, but 26-30 going through Dubai.

Will be in a month on qatar can't wait never ever on delta again even it's free.
Just returned yesterday and used Qatar through Doha. Yes the flight is long but they have been the only airline that has been consistently flying. This was my first time with Qatar and I wouldn't hesitate to fly with them again.

Just played with online reservations and direct flights are accepted beginning June 5th.

Lets see....how many of you remember Delta's stance on this. Delta Stops Shipping Taxidermy

Then after getting a bunch of tax payer bail out money, they dumped Boeing a/c for Airbus. Ergo this current routing. Delta CARES Deal

Now, in the last day or two the Delta CEO slams GA for the new voting laws after GA was giving them a $35m /yr tax break on Jet A. GA Strips Delta of Fuel Tax Break

And you might want to see who Delta's PAC is making donations to. Delta Inc. PAC Report And if you scroll down the page you'll find their Delta PAC 2019-2020 Contributions

While I'd like to support a US based carrier and shorter/more direct route to RSA, after Delta kind of slapping us tax payers and voters in the face........ well.....glad there are alternatives that we have the options of using.

Last edited:
I chose the ATL/AMS/JNB route offered by Delta/KLM. Leaving in six days. Looking good so far!

Why are you guys worried about a few more hours in the air or a little longer layover? Switch to Qatar. I leave June 4.

That really sucks! I'm sure there must be flights available with other airlines? If not, maybe book a fare on a container ship through the Suez canal? Nevermind.
Suez canal is open again, it might be a better bet, no anti-gun airlines to deal with, relaxing in the sun (and flies) dodging Iran-sponsored terrorists, S-S missiles, yeah I think I'll stick with the herd and cattle class.

I'm with the majority here... our favorite travel agents set me up with Qatar for my July 2nd flight from Dulles to Johannesburg. And unless dementia Joe makes Rona vaccines mandatory for travel, I'll be on that plane. Now if only I could find some ammunition for my rifle battery.... but that's another story

Lets see....how many of you remember Delta's stance on this. Delta Stops Shipping Taxidermy

Then after getting a bunch of tax payer bail out money, they dumped Boeing a/c for Airbus. Ergo this current routing. Delta CARES Deal

Now, in the last day or two the Delta CEO slams GA for the new voting laws after GA was giving them a $35m /yr tax break on Jet A. GA Strips Delta of Fuel Tax Break

And you might want to see who Delta's PAC is making donations to. Delta Inc. PAC Report And if you scroll down the page you'll find their Delta PAC 2019-2020 Contributions

While I'd like to support a US based carrier and shorter/more direct route to RSA, after Delta kind of slapping us tax payers and voters in the face........ well.....glad there are alternatives that we have the options of using.
I‘m a Delta shareholder and my brother-in- law is a senior Delta captain. Neither of us are too thrilled about the lib politics of Delta. He is essentially grounded waiting to be cleared for required training because of exposure to a flight attendant who tested positive for Covid.

He turned down a trip to Brazil because Brazil would have kept him in his room for 48+ hours under armed guard waiting fo do the return flight. It is crazy out there. I feel for him as he has 1.5 years until mandatory retirement. He switched to international flights a couple of years ago so he could see more of the world.

Not sure how comfortable I am flying in a plane that barely has an hour's reserve fuel. I think the new Newark route on United is going to hurt Delta.

I live an hour and a half from Newark and have driven further to Dulles. Newark is bad enough but with guns it's an airport with the plague. On top of that Qatar flies directly out of Philadelphia, PA so Newark is a non starter there too. And United? Good grief, their airport staff are subs and part timers who don't give a shit. They suck worse than Delta. No thanks. YMMV.

Edit: The ETOPS regs require more fuel but you'll need a calculator to determine it.

Last edited:
I live an hour and a half from Newark and have driven further to Dulles. Newark is bad enough but with guns it's an airport with the plague. On top of that Qatar flies directly out of Philadelphia, PA so Newark is a non starter there too. And United? Good grief, their airport staff are subs and part timers who don't give a shit. They suck worse than Delta. No thanks. YMMV.

Edit: The ETOPS regs require more fuel but you'll need a calculator to determine it.

Thanks for the info. I think I will give them a go on route to the Dallas Safari Club Convention in 2022. Hopefully there will be hunters who can report back to us once they open that route this year.

Looks to me like a pretty mixed bag of donations as payoffs, or attempting to get favors. Typical big business action. JMO
But, I still don't care for Delta (even less for United!) I only like the shorter flight. That said, I am definitely looking at Qatar for my next Africa adventure!

didnt biden do a travel ban to south africa?

The way I read it, only non U.S. citizens not on waivers, coming from RSA are banned.

There are no travel bans to South Africa. South African citizens can not travel to the USA currently. That's all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sammie2072

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross