Delta Airlines News

Two options, reverse the mandatory retirement age or stick with the current age and offer early retirement packages.
I suspect the latter will eat up a big chunk of those potential layoffs.
As far as the triple sevens (ATL-JNB), good riddance.

I'm not worried about that middle seat, life needs to move on. Let's get back to living, we can't hide from a bug for ever. There will always be a 'bug' causing a pandemic.

Two options, reverse the mandatory retirement age or stick with the current age and offer early retirement packages.
I suspect the latter will eat up a big chunk of those potential layoffs.
As far as the triple sevens (ATL-JNB), good riddance.

The good news, they are down to only losing 50 million a day.

if they are retiring the 777 does that mean flights from atlanta to south africa gone forever

if they are retiring the 777 does that mean flights from atlanta to south africa gone forever

Someone will pick that route up, should it go that way.

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-retiring-boeing-777-fleet/?utm_campaign=coschedule&utm_source=facebook_page&utm_medium=One Mile at a Time&utm_content=Wow: Delta Retiring Entire Boeing 777 Fleet&fbclid=IwAR2BlGXdkRf2mlKNl9Me1VVPxrhBcm4F1AxfnMED8nUeIZZNQCpUTTG191s

In light of the current pandemic a lot of airlines are planning to shrink, and that involves retiring existing aircraft. However, here’s an aircraft retirement I wasn’t expecting.

In this post:Delta retiring all Boeing 777s
Delta retiring all Boeing 777s
It has today been announced that Delta will retire all Boeing 777s by the end of 2020, as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. This is part of Delta’s strategy of simplifying and modernizing their fleet, while continuing to operate newer and more cost-efficient aircraft.

Delta has a fleet of 18 Boeing 777s, including eight 777-200ERs, and 10 Boeing 777-200LRs. The 777 first joined Delta’s fleet in 1999, and was a game changer, since the 777-200LR allowed Delta to operate flights like Atlanta to Johannesburg, which otherwise weren’t possible.

What’s especially crazy is that just a couple of months ago Delta completed the process of reconfiguring all 777s with new Delta One Suites, as well as with Premium Select, Delta’s premium economy product.

As Gil West, Delta’s Chief Operating Officer, describes the decision to retire the 777:

“We’re making strategic, cost-effective changes to our fleet to respond to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic while also ensuring Delta is well-positioned for the recovery on the backside of the crisis. The 777 has been a reliable part of Delta’s success since it joined the fleet in 1999 and because of its unique operating characteristics, opened new non-stop, ultra-long-haul markets that only it could fly at that time.”

Delta-A350-Business-Class-2.jpg
Delta One Suites on A350-900

Delta’s future long haul fleet
With this move, Delta’s wide body fleet consists of the following aircraft:

• 13 A350-900s, with a further 26 on order
  • Five A330-900neos, with a further 32 on order
  • 11 A330-200s
  • 31 A330-300s
  • 56 Boeing 767-300s
  • 21 Boeing 767-400s
In reality the only plane that can provide similar range and capacity to the 777-200 is the A350-900. Delta notes that the A350-900 has fuel burn that’s 21% lower per seat than the 777, so the operating costs are definitely better.

Also keep in mind that as part of Delta’s investment in LATAM, the airline agreed to take over several A350-900 orders. I’m sure the airline is regretting that deal at this point, but of course no one expected the industry would get this bad.

Delta hasn’t announced concrete plans to retire other long haul aircraft — the airline is considering retiring some of their 767s, though exact numbers haven’t yet been given. I also wouldn’t be surprised to see some A330-200s and A330-300s retired.

Delta-A330-900neo.jpeg
Delta A330-900neo

Is this the end of Atlanta to Johannesburg?
Delta’s longest route is between Atlanta and Johannesburg, as the route covers a distance of about 8,500 miles. While that’s “only” the 10th longest flight in the world, the catch is that the flight has significant headwinds in the westbound direction, and Johannesburg Airport is also at a high altitude, limiting takeoff performance.

ATL-JNB.gif

While the A350-900 is also incredibly long range, it’s my understanding that only the 777-200LR has been able to operate the route without a significant payload restriction.

If that’s the case, I wonder if the retirement of the 777 could also represent the end of South Africa service for Delta. That would be a shame, but also understandable.

Delta retiring all MD-88s & MD-90s
In April Delta had announced plans to retire all MD-88 and MD-90 aircraft by June. Delta has long taken the approach of flying older planes but maintaining them well, though as the airline looks at downsizing, that trend is also being reversed.

Delta had 47 MD-88s and 29 MD-90s operating as of February 2020, so those were among the first 75+ planes Delta retired due to the current situation.

Bottom line
For so long the Boeing 777 has been the workhorse of a countless number of airlines’ international fleets. This has been the case for all of the “big three” US carriers.

While Delta has a significantly smaller 777 fleet than American and United, it’s still pretty shocking to think that a major US airline won’t be flying these anymore. That’s especially true when you consider that Delta has just spent tens of millions of dollars fitting these planes with new interiors.

Are you surprised to see Delta retiring their 777 fleet?

Attachments

• Delta-A350-Business-Class-2.jpg
    Delta-A350-Business-Class-2.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 218
  • Delta-A330-900neo.jpeg
    Delta-A330-900neo.jpeg
    129.8 KB · Views: 210
  • ATL-JNB.gif
    ATL-JNB.gif
    12 KB · Views: 211
Last edited by a moderator:
I figured we start to hear sum rumblings from the airlines. Everything is sitting and collecting dust..... There is going to be a lot of reorganization. Probably more weight and size restrictions.

Been looking at flights for late June / July and flights go through London or Amsterdam. Looks like in August schedules include direct flights from Atlanta to Joburg. Following this thread.

dt

Would be Crazy to drop ATL ~ JNB . That flight is always packed ....they could probably fill 2 or more a day ... especially looking at SAA 's death rumble ......

If they use the A350-900 on that flight, that’s less passengers and cargo per flight but burns less fuel. I foresee a more expensive flight. Airlines make their money on freight and to a lesser degree, business seats.

Would be Crazy to drop ATL ~ JNB . That flight is always packed ....they could probably fill 2 or more a day ... especially looking at SAA 's death rumble ......

Until Delta wanted around $2700 round trip it was my favorite flight at $2000. But when the cost got too much it was better to go to plan B. That was from Milwaukee but still the majority of the cost was the non stop flight.

Last week, I priced Qatar's Philly, PA to JNB flight and it was less than $700 round trip. My May 2020 trip they cancelled was $713. It's a few more hours of flying but with only a five hour layover in Doha, I'll take the over $1300 savings and put it towards more days and/or animals. Anecdotal reports have people now flying coming down with the virus. Unless there's a proven, 100% guaranteed test for all passengers AND crew, I don't see international airline travel picking up anytime soon.

This is just brutal for the company.

I am booked in Delta the last at the end of July to fly to Johannesburg so I can then go onto Zimbabwe.

Of course that’s not happening.

I am waiting for Delta to cancel my flight.

Has anyone had experience with Delta cancelling their flights and refunding their money?

I am booked in Delta the last at the end of July to fly to Johannesburg so I can then go onto Zimbabwe.

Has anyone had experience with Delta cancelling their flights and refunding their money?

They're going to hang on to your money as long as possible. My Qatar flight wasn't cancelled until two weeks before departure.

I had a flight from jhb-Atlanta-Phoenix for beginning of April. That obviously didn't happen. I put in for a cancelation and refund and I never got it, just a credit to rebook my flight

Exact same thing for me except I was going via Turkish Airlines.

Once I get more info about Zim situation if Emirates flies then I will go via Emirates direct to Harare.

Last week, I priced Qatar's Philly, PA to JNB flight and it was less than $700 round trip. My May 2020 trip they cancelled was $713. It's a few more hours of flying but with only a five hour layover in Doha, I'll take the over $1300 savings and put it towards more days and/or animals. Anecdotal reports have people now flying coming down with the virus. Unless there's a proven, 100% guaranteed test for all passengers AND crew, I don't see international airline travel picking up anytime soon.

I agree, that will be one of the top options going forward! For the most part I will fly out of Chicago and pay for parking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NataliaBos

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.
dogcat1 wrote on WAB's profile.
They are yours. Please send your contact info and which pair you want.
Thanks,
Ross