Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, TSRA
Hunted
South Africa
I have looked but not found an answer to my question. Is there a certain amount of time before trophies can leave SA after the hunt? Seems like I read somewhere they can't leave for 90 days. Dip and pack, not mounted.

Not sure if there is a mandatory waiting period but the earliest I have ever had a dip and pack shipment sent was roughly 6 months. If there is finished taxidermy or skins to be tanned my experience has been 12 months or more.

On my hunt in 2015 it was 5 months from the time that the trophies were dropped off at the dip and pack until my taxidermist received them. I also had one euro done in SA which could of slowed them down a little.

Don't know for sure, but I think I have heard 90 day minimum as well???
Two years ago Swift Dip had my trophies ready for Safari Cargo Systems right at the 90 day mark. I love Swift Dip! Natasha is a sweetheart and really on the ball. Have had nothing but great service from them.
Natasha has posted here before, but I don't see a tag for @Swift Dip

Nine animals from the eastern cape in 2016 took about 4 months to ship.

I have looked but not found an answer to my question. Is there a certain amount of time before trophies can leave SA after the hunt? Seems like I read somewhere they can't leave for 90 days. Dip and pack, not mounted.

Yes, there is a mandatory 90 day period for most animals as per US law. I stand corrected but think it's for those animals whose horns don't come apart from the inner core after boiling (e.g. black wildebeest and red hartebeest)

Thank you for your replies. Now I will have an idea of what to expect.

The minimum as stated is 90 days. It took 11 months for our trophies to get to the states. The D&P company claimed the Govt. was extremely slow in approving the necessary paperwork. According to them the fees are paid up front, then you wait. Doesn't sound like the process can be speeded up. But what the he** do I know?

Reactions: PLM
Swift Dip has a 90 day turn around once the receive your trophies and payment. They are the best I've used out of 9 Dip & pack companies. They only do dip & pack no taxidermy and the quality is good. They are in Thabazimbi, Limpopo

90 days before they can be shipped. The reality is it take longer. Getting RSA govt officials to sign the documents can be time consuming. Reviewing my paper work the Taxidermist had the paperwork to the Northern Cape govt at the 90 day mark. It was signed in a couple of days, then it 45 days before the CITES holder sign the document (no CITES animals in my shipment) then another week for the paperwork take to the Taxidermist who did the ship and dip.

That depends, from my experience it can take between 6 and 23 months !

Good luck.

Nothing to do but wait and plan the next trip then.

If you are going to do dip and pack only, use a company that is focused on dip and pack only. Not one who does the mounts as well. You hear regularly you get better service when you do.

Also realize that "blaming it on the government " may be real and may be not wanting to deal with you that morning. This stuff can get done more quickly than typical, it just usually doesn't. And when you ask the answer will be "tomorrow " or "next week" then more silence. It's just the way it is over there.

This is where SSI comes in. They deal with the BS for you. I've both used them and not used them. They were great when I did and then the "easy" export that I thought I'd save money on, well, I should have the stuff back before too long. I'm betting 15 months in total, or more. Next trip they get the business again. I learned my lesson. The extra stress and especially the follow up with whomever. Is having a finger pointed at them at the time isn't worth it for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are going to do dip and pack only, use a company that is focused on dip and pack only. Not one who does the mounts as well. You here regularly you get better service when you do.

Also realize that "blaming it on the government " may be real and may be not wanting to deal with you that morning. This stuff can get done more quickly than typical, it just usually doesn't. And when you ask the answer will be "tomorrow " or "next week" then more silence. It's just the way it is over there.

This is where SSI comes in. They deal with the BS for you. I've both used them and not used them. They were great when I did and then the "easy" export that I thought I'd save money on, well, I should have the stuff back before too long. I'm betting 15 months in total, or more. Next trip they get the business again. I learned my lesson. The extra stress and especially the follow up with whomever. Is having a finger pointed at them at the time isn't worth it for me.

I am with Royal on this one. Dang it! Did I really just say that? :D
I think there is a lot of "blame it on the government-itis"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Royal..... Yes, we put a lot of work in behind the scenes that people don't realize..........

IT LOOKS EASY TO THE UNTRAINED EYE !!!!!!!!!!

Yes it's me Royal.......

welcome to what I consider the least fun and most aggravating part of international hunting. Nothing beats getting bent over with dip pack and ship:(
Always cost more, always excuses and delays. You gotta just hold your breath sometimes and just go along to get along. I do my own importing and put up with the heart burn and hassles, but I hear Robert is excellent if you don't have a taste for the adventure and hassles. I have developed a "little black book" of contacts in the importing game that helps. I am sure Robert has his list of officials, USFWS, etc people he goes to also.

Always way too long.
I've had anywhere from 5months to 1 1/2 years.

I am currently in the process of waiting for my second shipment of taxidermy work.

The shipment from last years hunt arrived in May of this year...exactly a year. It was a combination of a buff shoulder mount, zebra back skin and a couple of euro mounts.

The shipment for this years hunt should be about the same as all of the players will be the same. The thing I have learned is that there is absolutely no reason to get upset with delays and excuses while the shipment is in Africa. You simply must realize you are on Africa Time and for the most part it is completely different from western ideas of time, accountability and efficiency.

Good luck with your shipment.

Just my 2 cents.

I am currently in the process of waiting for my second shipment of taxidermy work.

The shipment from last years hunt arrived in May of this year...exactly a year. It was a combination of a buff shoulder mount, zebra back skin and a couple of euro mounts.

The shipment for this years hunt should be about the same as all of the players will be the same. The thing I have learned is that there is absolutely no reason to get upset with delays and excuses while the shipment is in Africa. You simply must realize you are on Africa Time and for the most part it is completely different from western ideas of time, accountability and efficiency.

Good luck with your shipment.

Just my 2 cents.

Definitely no reason to get upset, but also definitely THE reason to stay on top of it.

There is also a difference between dip and pack and finished trophies. Dip and pack shouldn't take a year, although it often does, or longer.

I hope it doesn't take a year. My stuff was picked up and is at African San Taxidermy. I got a quote for dip and pack from them and it seems in line with what I've seen from others. Do any of you have any knowledge of or experience with them? They say they have a 6 month turn around on mounts. Surely it would be quicker for D & P?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg