Decline In Hunters Threatens How U.S. Pays For Conservation

Discussion in 'Articles' started by PARA45, May 16, 2018.

1. PARA45

PARA45 AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Nicaragua, FL, CA, SD, GA, SC, CO
    I was looking at Maven optics, and got into their Twitter page, and came across this article about hunting decline in the US. The article it's a little long, but worth reading. Based on the number of tree huggers, and their quest to stop hunting, I do foresee this actually happening. I also believe, that it is our obligation as hunters to teach our sport & values to our next generation.

Enjoy.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/20/5930...hare&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social

Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 7.34.06 PM.png

AfricaHunting.com likes this.

2. flatwater bill

flatwater bill AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA endowment member/Life member
    Hunted:
    NAMIBIA, RSA, KYRYG, KAZAKSTAN, MOZAMBIQUE,MEXICO, BOLIVIA, PERU, BRAZIL, ARGENTINA, CANADA, NEW ZEALAND, AUSTRALIA, SPAIN,
    Thanks for posting this. Where I hunt , the absolute number of hunters is increasing quite rapidly. But the percentage of those that hunt, here in the fastest growing state in the USA, is plunging. Good article........................FWB

3. Fred Gunner

Fred Gunner AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    On one hand I love not finding other hunters in my mountains. Going days without seeing so much as another human track gives me joy.

On the other hand this keeps up the government will just raise taxes?

4. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Teach a child to hunt folks. Take your kids hunting. If there is a neighbor who doesn’t hunt but his kid expresses an interest .....well take that kid to hunt. Chances are you will at least replace yourself in the hunting ranks and possibly add another person or two to the ranks.
    My father did not hunt. He had a shot gun and walked the wooods a couple of times with me when I was a kid but he had no desire to go h7nting every year. Once he was sure I understood gun safety he let me walk the woods by myself but he didn’t want to go. However, my best friends dad would take us every fall multiple times rabbit and squirrel hunting. I enjoyed it so much that my father asked one of his Masonic brothers to take me deer hunting. Well after the first deer hunt I was really hooked for life and today it’s a passion.

Bruce, Hogpatrol and dobber like this.

5. siutis

siutis GOLD SUPPORTER AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, African hunting gold supporter
    Hunted:
    United States
    I fewer the better for the rest of us.

6. markferrigno

markferrigno AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Slovania
    I suspect a good portion of the decline is in direct proportion the ever growing complexity and costs of hunting in America. Dopey draw systems, asinine short seasons, nutty GMU boundaries, complex, almost impossible to follow rules and regs and Fish/Game departments that operate on the assumption of "everyone is in violation, I just need to find it" If you don't have an active hunter in your immediate family or friends then it is almost impossible to hunt or learn to hunt. Hell, you need a Masters Degree just to figure out the draw system and big game guide regs.

Here in Colorado they just doubled the State Waterfowl stamp fee and indexed future increases to inflation. They also added a Shed Hunting License requirement that you, of course, must pay for. The Draw system is so complicated that they have to hold seminars on how to "navigate" it. I guess reducing the complexity never occurred to them.

How long before folks just "F***k It and stop paying these insane taxes? It is to the point where it is easier to get on a plane, fly to Europe and go hunt some Red/Roe/Fallow Deer. No hassles and Fish/Game cops out to enrich their coffers....... Or head to Texas and hunt there, much simpler, $300 and you get a load of tags.....

Hogpatrol likes this.

7. Areaonereal

Areaonereal AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Academia at its finest

Hogpatrol likes this.

8. Lee M

Lee M AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, USA, Canada
    Colorado is still cheap for residents. Non Res tags are getting silly in price at 10x the Res fees. But to me the electronic age, cell phones and social media have just become too overwhelming for youth. Heck many adults can’t function without them. And the media and a liberal bias in general doesn’t support hunting, shooting, etc.

Hogpatrol likes this.

9. James hays

James hays AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    S Africa
    You are spot on. Three years ago I looked into a guided elk hunt and was blown away by the hassle and high price. On a whim, I looked into the price of an African safari. My jaw dropped and I booked a 7 day safari bagging a Black Wildebeest, Blesbuck, Gemsbok, Springbok and Red Hartebeest for a little less than $8,000, airfare from San Antonio to Johannesburg included. However, this was a big mistake for I now have an addiction, a good addiction.

sierraone, Hogpatrol and markferrigno like this.

10. markferrigno

markferrigno AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Agree. Africa is cheaper than many guided Elk/Muley hunts. Hell, I flew to Poland a few years ago and shot two nice Red Stags in the Rut and it was cheaper than a guided Elk hunt and there are no such things as "Draw" or "Tags" in Europe.......

11. Hogpatrol

Hogpatrol SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, SCCFSA, Atglen SC, Bridgeville Rifle & Pistol, Original PA 1000 yd. BR clubs
    Hunted:
    U.S (PA, DE, NJ, KS, TX., ME, Panama, South Africa
    I hunt Pennsylvania, the last state with no Sunday hunting. It's OK for 49 states but not PA. Go figure. Aside from that, when I started hunting, the regulation book fitted in your license holder. Now it is the size of a local phone book and filled with literally thousands of byzantine regulations for different management units, different counties and municipalities. License sales have literally dropped off a cliff in just ten years. At the rate of decline of hunters, the yearly increase in regulations and the passing of the baby boomer generation, it's questionable if hunting can even survive.

markferrigno likes this.

12. bilmcc

bilmcc AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, Ruffed Grouse Society, Wyoming Wildlife Foundation, Wild Sheep Foundation, Boone & Crockett
    Hunted:
    Zambia, New Zealand, Spain, US
    The last few years, I have not seen a decrease in the PA elk tag applications!

13. markferrigno

markferrigno AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    The state of PA think animals need a rest on Sunday?