Deciding what to hunt in South Africa

a063597

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all. Recently joined member. I will be going on an 8 day safari with my dad in the Limpopo region of SA this August. Trying to decide what I want to hunt is driving me nuts! I do get an impala included in the safari, but want advice on what else to hunt? I'm thinking a max of 3 animals (with the impala counting as 1). Any advice would be appreciated, will also add that I can't afford the big price tag game like lion, croc, water buffalo, etc.

Welcome, a06... Kudu for sure, although it will be one of the more expensive. Check with your PH to see if it's a good possibility for the time frame you will be there.

If you’re trying to hunt on a budget add on a wildebeest and a warthog. Those will present 3x offering hunts, all make nice trophies, all are iconic PG, and all are affordable.

My .02

I really think you need to think at least 5 species not only 3. You are going to spend a lot of fixed costs to get there and get your trophies home. The more you take the more economical it becomes even if it costs a bit more up front. For 5 standard plains game species I’d recommend kudu, zebra, wildebeest, warthog, impala.

If u would like to hunt more than shoot, and see some beautiful areas, find a way to stalk riverine areas for bushbuck. Beautiful animals, challenging hunt, and exposure to many other species as well even if none taken

Springbok, blesbok, baboon, jackal, mountain reedbuck are at the low end of the scale.

If it was me I go with the impala, then warthog, and black wildebeest.

While they are nice a kudu was down on my list. Springbok and gemsbok are above the kudu in my book.

If you want quantity/low cost, springbok/blesbok/warthog. Throw in a kudu or wildebeest for something with a bit more price but not yet breaking the bank. I'm with @375Fox - I think the minimum needs to be 5. That was my package deal when I went, and then I went over another 5 animals - without breaking my own bank.

Also if more interested in the hunt than the trophy, consider taking cull animals. Generally they're a lot cheaper.

You will shoot more than three! Check the price list and just pick. You can’t go wrong.

I really think you need to think at least 5 species not only 3. You are going to spend a lot of fixed costs to get there and get your trophies home. The more you take the more economical it becomes even if it costs a bit more up front. For 5 standard plains game species I’d recommend kudu, zebra, wildebeest, warthog, impala.
My dad plans on getting 3 or 4 animals himself as well so I figured that would make the shipping more economical.

My dad plans on getting 3 or 4 animals himself as well so I figured that would make the shipping more economical.
You would be stepping in to a mine field combining two different hunters' trophies in one box.
In short, for the U..S., not legal.

This was what I was going for before my hunting buddy changed his mind and is going to Zimbabwe or Tanzania with his wife
10 day =$5000
  • Kudu
  • Gemsbuck or Burchell Zebra
  • Blue Wildebeest or Black Wildebeest or Red Hartebeest
  • Blesbuck
  • Warthog
  • Impala
IMG_0312.jpeg

Last edited:
You would be stepping in to a mine field combining two different hunters' trophies in one box.
In short, for the U..S., not legal.
Technically true, however there are no real hunting licenses issued in South Africa behind high fence. If all common species just list under one hunter’s register, send to same address/taxidermy, and not a single question will be asked. I see no reason to advise someone to pay an extra $1000 to clear their trophies especially when budget is a concern.

Technically true, however there are no real hunting licenses issued in South Africa behind high fence. If all common species just list under one hunter’s register, send to same address/taxidermy, and not a single question will be asked. I see no reason to advise someone to pay an extra $1000 to clear their trophies especially when budget is a concern.
Technically true BUT you better have a taxidermist AND an outfitter that knows the ropes inside out and backwards. Otherwise, no bueno.
Edit: There is a thread on this site where a father and son got caught up in a royal mess with both in the same box.

Reactions: BWH
Awesome, man! You'll LOVE it, and I dare say, you'll be heading back. For my first hunt, I lucked into a series of very fortunate events, purchasing a hunt at a benefit auction. Included were several animals, and I too was torn on what to add.

Although I had some ideas (and a budget), I am glad I took the advice of the outfitter and PH. "Take what God and the bush give you".

If you've never been, you will simply be astounded by the varieties of game there. It's a good idea to have an idea of what you would like to pursue going into your hunt (and be sure to discuss these with your outfitter PRIOR to your arrival), but be sure to keep an open mind. You may see something that was never on your radar, and you may even be presented with opportunities never imagined. I've mentioned this on threads past, but I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity at a good, mature cape buffalo on my first trip...something that I didn't think I could afford, and certainly didn't plan on.

So again, keep an open mind.

However, if I were to choose a couple of animals, they would be those endemic to, and readily available, in the area you are going.

In addition to your impala, I would consider (in no particular order) warthog, zebra, springbok, blesbok, and a wildebeest. These are typically readily available, iconic, and relatively affordable. Also of note (in my mind, at least) is the fact that black wildebeest are only available in RSA, to my understanding.

Best of luck, and I look forward to hearing of your hunt and seeing pictures!

On a side note, the wonderful folks here are a wealth of information. I did much of my pre-trip armchair research here, and it really helped me prepare. Since then, I have had the good fortune of hunting over there on several occasions. In doing so, I have learned what works for me in terms of gear and such, and, just as importantly, things that are not needed. I thought this might be useful information, so I put together a document containing this stuff. If you are interested, PM me, and I would be happy to share it with you. It is by no means a comprehensive list, but again, just some things I have learned through combing over threads on here, stacks of books and magazines, and from a little experience.

Technically true BUT you better have a taxidermist AND an outfitter that knows the ropes inside out and backwards. Otherwise, no bueno.
Just tell outfitter all goes under one hunter’s register, no reason to inform the taxidermy anything more than what outfitter provides him. It’s simple, nothing more complicated than a normal shipment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanRigby4

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you