Debating whether I should step up to 375 H&H?

I do not know much about the R8 but the bolt face & magazine is not the same on a 30/06 & a 375 HH how does that work? a 9.3x62 may not require any changes?
The bolts can be swapped out. When I bought rifle I had purchased a mag bolt as well, more thinking I'd be getting a 300WM. Nice that it'll work for the 375

Put the savings in a CD and that $3.5K will turn into $10K in 15+/- yrs. IF Biden & Co are still at the helm, it'll be worth -10K. LOL Schedule that 3006 safari then for a steep discount! ;)
This is the second mention of $3.5k. Can you tell me what you are basing that off of? As I mentioned before, I'm getting standard barrel and it's less than 1/3 that cost.

This is the second mention of $3.5k. Can you tell me what you are basing that off of? As I mentioned before, I'm getting standard barrel and it's less than 1/3 that cost.
There are a lot of R8 haters here. They aren’t happy unless they need a gunsmith, a lathe, and a year to change a barrel. I’ve never paid close to $3500 for a barrel. The 375 H&H is an excellent round for all the reasons cited here. Recommend you join Blaserbuds and watch the classifieds.

I'm guessing $1250 barrel+$500 mount+$1750 scope. I'm guessing he's a realist and quoting you the total cost for the barrel. The barrel and mount are steep for what they are. All my opinion.

If you are planning on Buffalo the 375 is the starting point. If not then you don’t need it. ButjustmaybeyouWANTIT!

I agree with practically all of the responses, but one sticks out to me, from shootist43, you can't go wrong with both calibers. Your .30-06 should be just fine for the game you're after, with the RIGHT BULLET.

Also... Barnes TSX (or TTSX) and/or Swift A-frame bullets.

The 375 won’t kill those animals any deader than your 30-06 but if you have a good deal on it, go for it ! A 375 is a perfect all rounder for Africa.

If you get the standard barrel, the gun will actually be lighter than your 30/06. So you'd be set to hunt anything at any reasonable range with one caliber, in a rifle that weighs what a deer rifle usually weighs. Hard to beat that!
Hard to beat you say. Yes, yes it is...thank you very much. :cool:

Here is a video of me shooting my 7.75# 375H&H with relative ease and kinda skinny at 70" and 155#. With the scope, ammo and sling it comes in just over 10#.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ez2mH3TsYTBzJ7Mf7

Here is a video of me shooting my 7.75# 375H&H with relative ease and kinda skinny at 70" and 155#. With the scope, ammo and sling it comes in just over 10#.
That's a nice looking piece ya got there! Looks familiar......hmmmmm.....

What happened there in the beginning? There was a definite lining up to shoot and then a big blow out of air before the cocking of the gun.

I’d you have an R8, you have the money and got it for the modularity. Just go ahead spend the money for the extra barrel.

I have a Blaser R8 and one of my barrels is a .375H&H standard barrel with sights. I have had it for a few years now and it has become one of my favorites. I see Eurooptics is listing the same barrel for just under $1,500.00 USD. You can spend $3,500.00 USD on a Safari grade Selous barrel if you want but......

If your new Blaser R8 is a stand stock receiver, which it probably is since you have a 30-06, then you want to get your .375H&H in a standard weight barrel. If you get a semi weight or Safari barrel and you have a standard stock, you will need to have the barrel channel opened up to fit those weight barrels.

FYI, a standard weight barrel has a 17mm dia. muzzle, semi weight is 19mm dia. and a Safari Selous 22mm dia. Also it only takes around 30 seconds to swap out bolt heads.

When buying a new barrel ask if the magazine is included.

I have a Swarovski Z8i 1-8x24 mounted on my R8 .375H&H. I am very happy with it and think it pairs extremely well with both rifle and caliber.

Last edited:
What happened there in the beginning? There was a definite lining up to shoot and then a big blow out of air before the cocking of the gun.
I cocked the rifle at 0:08, then someone in another bay shot their rifle at 0:11 and this caused the sound on the camera to go quiet before I took my first shot at 0:16. Second shot at 0:23 and third at 0:29.

If I recall correctly, I was shooting at 50 yards with the factory open sights and kept all three inside 2". I know I could really improve my time, but I'd rather be slow, deliberate and accurate than fast, wild and miss.

@TOBY458 - You should embrace the power of dark side. Well...embrace it again at least. ;)

Last edited:
Get the .375 if it's a deal. You can't go wrong and if you ever choose to go after buffalo or something you'll already have the barrel.

I personally shot everything from Steenbuck to Buffalo with my .375 last trip. I shot the Federal Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in .250gr for all the plains game, then shot Federal's 300gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw 300gr followed by Federal's loading of Woodleigh Hydro Solids on the Buffalo as they printed the same and were impacting nearly the same as the 250gr TBBC. Group size on the 300gr was a little bigger than the 250gr but an extra 1/2" on a Buffalo at under 50 yards isn't going to matter.

I googled it and there were at least three places selling barrels for $3,500.

Yeah apparently there are different grades I have less than zero interest in that gun.

Screenshot_20220430-221905.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I have r8 with standard 375hh barrel on the pro success stock . With ammo,scope, and 1lb recoil reducer in the stock gun is right over 10lbs. Why do people buy the heavier safari barrel which is almost triple the cost?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EulaBowen

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!