Debating whether I should step up to 375 H&H?

Yes Forrest,
When Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen gets on here while eating his little snack of Vegemite on crackers and swilling a glass or two of Bundy, anything can happen and be typed by him? Too bad he lives in OZ, or we could inundate him with box after box of spent two forty three cases! Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
@CoElkHunter
As long as they were federal brand then I could neck them up to 308 for the sons rifle.
Bob

@CoElkHunter
As long as they were federal brand then I could neck them up to 308 for the sons rifle.
Bob
They won't be Federal. They'll be something from China, hopefully with a military crimped primer pocket that you'll have to spend endless hours swaging out. What are friends for Bob! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Yes Forrest,
When Townsend @Bob Nelson 35Whelen gets on here while eating his little snack of Vegemite on crackers and swilling a glass or two of Bundy, anything can happen and be typed by him? Too bad he lives in OZ, or we could inundate him with box after box of spent two forty three cases! Ha! Ha! Ha!
CEH
Ahh I'm not following you there brother with sending my precious brass to the gardener down under. Must be some contact high from the neighborhood wacky tobacky dispensary! How about spent AK shells?
xbr: Where I come from the Barter System is alive and well. I'll do everything you like, so long as you come over and wash all of my cars first. IF you are involved in sales of the subject goods, (salespeople essentially lie to get paid, like many gov't. officials and the MSM) I'll have to ask that you also wash all the tractors and implements too. It's been decades since I took orders, but 'found your post nostalgic. :) Enjoy your overly expensive gun and Safari! Remember when the Euro was worth 2 USD? Why didn't the prices change when the dollar became of equal value? ;) lol
I'm really starting to enjoy you! They're going to give you a bad name over there at the blazing buddies or straight pull chums...hahaha
@CoElkHunter
Bob
Yeah I'll send you all my best Berdan primed brass washed cases!

Ahh I'm not following you there brother with sending my precious brass to the gardener down under. Must be some contact high from the neighborhood wacky tobacky dispensary! How about spent AK shells?

I'm really starting to enjoy you! They're going to give you a bad name over there at the blazing buddies or straight pull chums...hahaha

Yeah I'll send you all my best Berdan primed brass washed cases!
AK shells? You want the steel case ones? LOL I do have some steel case .308s that I could send to Bob? I think they were made in Russia, so now a collectors item. Hey, maybe I could put them on EBay and make a fortune? Ha! Ha!

AK shells? You want the steel case ones? LOL I do have some steel case .308s that I could send to Bob? I think they were made in Russia, so now a collectors item. Hey, maybe I could put them on EBay and make a fortune? Ha! Ha!
I was going to send him x39's and let him work his ballistic stretching magic on it and milk 12 more millimeters out of it.

I was going to send him x39's and let him work his ballistic stretching magic on it and milk 12 more millimeters out of it.
Ha! Ha! On a side note, I wonder if one COULD reload steel cases if they were shot out of the same BOLT ACTION rifle? No full length resizing needed, just the issue with neck resizing? Maybe with a neck sizing carbide die? Maybe not?

Ha! Ha! On a side note, I wonder if one COULD reload steel cases if they were shot out of the same BOLT ACTION rifle? No full length resizing needed, just the issue with neck resizing? Maybe with a neck sizing carbide die? Maybe not?
You would have to fill the case with water and use a dowel to drive the primer out. I'm sure it could be done not sure it would be worth the headache.

For just PG the 30-06 is will do it all. It has has taken many buffalo and other DG in its day.

But nothing can beat the classic safari cartridge of the 375 H&H.

I would say you are just fine with the 30-06 but it might be nice to add the 375 H&H to the collection.

I will just add my 2 cents that the 375 H&H is a pleasure to shoot and you will absolutely complete the 2 barrel R8 package by adding it to your collection.
On your next project step up to the 458 Lott or 500 Jeffrey! It all goes back to the old adage to “shoot what your comfortable with”. I myself have several R8 combos and like them all for different reasons. They are with out a doubt solid, dependable, and accurate out of the box.

HH

Once you have owned a 375 H&H you will never look back. It does it all from PG to DG and it is not out of place in an elk or even deer camp. The 30/06 is also a time proven chambering that has an honored history. It is no coincidence that these two rounds were given birth only 6 years apart.

My advice is get both for an unbeatable 2 gun battery.

I agree with gibbs30c, the .375 is not out of place even with deer and contrary to what some believe, on most game with the .375 you can eat right up to the bullet hole. Penetration even on elk size game will be from end to end. I hit a nice big cow elk quartering away from me at 200yds behind the last rib & my 270gr barnsX exited behind the off shoulder. She went 200yds & piled up dead.
I zero 3” high at 100, & that has served me well for years.

I agree with gibbs30c, the .375 is not out of place even with deer and contrary to what some believe, on most game with the .375 you can eat right up to the bullet hole. Penetration even on elk size game will be from end to end. I hit a nice big cow elk quartering away from me at 200yds behind the last rib & my 270gr barnsX exited behind the off shoulder. She went 200yds & piled up dead.
I zero 3” high at 100, & that has served me well for years.
I meant 20 yds NOT 200. 20yds.

You are spot on Vaccaro. The 375 and for that matter all the "Big Bores" do very little meat damage even on smaller game. It is the super High Velocity rounds firing the cup and core bullets that cause the most severe meat damage. And not just "blood shot" but jelly that can radiate far out from the wound opening.

But beyond that hunting with your 375, 416, 458 etc. here at home is the best prep I know for Africa.

Not only will it reveal any faults in the rifle, mounts, scope and even sling, the more you hunt with a rifle the more it becomes a part of you. You know how it will come up, how it feels after hours and miles of carry, how to load it in a hurry, and how that trigger is going to break in that quick shot.

When a man going to Africa for the first time asks me how to prepare with his rifle, I tell him three things.

First: Practice, practice, practice, and when you think you are good enough...... practice some more!

Second: Don't do that practicing from the the bench. Do it on the sticks and off hand, and do the off hand in various positions. I tell them to even run in place, or do push ups to get your breathing and heart rate up before you shoot at that target. Because that is what you will experience at the end of that long stalk, before you take that once in a lifetime shot in the thick bush.

Third: And in my opinion the most important, hunt here at home as often as you can with that rifle!

I will just add my 2 cents that the 375 H&H is a pleasure to shoot and you will absolutely complete the 2 barrel R8 package by adding it to your collection.
On your next project step up to the 458 Lott or 500 Jeffrey! It all goes back to the old adage to “shoot what your comfortable with”. I myself have several R8 combos and like them all for different reasons. They are with out a doubt solid, dependable, and accurate out of the box.

HH
@Hunting Hitman
You forgot expensive as well.

I use a .30-06 frequently for plains game, when I don’t bring my personal 7x57mm Mauser on my safaris. Using 180Gr and 220Gr Remington Core Lokts, I‘ve accounted for almost every species of African PG over the last 48 years. With the 220Gr loads, even eland bulls will fold if your shooting is reasonably good. I’ve recently moved to Sako Hammerheads in the same weights.
AF1C4946-263A-42A2-8B78-B8DA457BEDEB.jpeg
63278574-3D59-447C-9C49-7B7BC23CECE6.jpeg
5E59CD94-D470-431E-9ADB-A8A24219ED4B.jpeg
544F70D7-A89C-4FE9-BD21-C705906187BC.jpeg

Attachments

• D2BF4D5D-2855-429C-BDEC-704105ECCF64.jpeg
    D2BF4D5D-2855-429C-BDEC-704105ECCF64.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 50
Get a 375! I just returned from Namibia and almost had a chance to hunt wild lion. One came across the river and was killing cattle. We decided all trips to Africa need a 375 along. We could have used the PH’s but for serious hunting I want something I am familiar with.

I'm tempted to add on a 375 H&H setup for the R8. My question is: Is that going to give me much over the 30-06 for non-dangerous animals like these plains game?
Yes.
I have done 3 PG safaris, and 2 of them with 375. So, do it.

Apparently, I can't attach a video. I may try to link it from another site unless someone has a good way to do this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross