Debating whether I should step up to 375 H&H?

xbr897

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a hunt planned this summer where the following animals are possibilities: Sable, Kudu, Impala, Warthog, Spingbok, Gemsbok. My newly purchased R8 is in 30-06. But in reading up on it, and having found a deal on a barrel. I'm tempted to add on a 375 H&H setup for the R8. My question is: Is that going to give me much over the 30-06 for non-dangerous animals like these plains game?

If I did go ahead with the 375, seeing as I likely won't have time to find components and work up a load, what would be recommended factory ammo for the above animals? I can only seem to find Barnes VOR-TX Safari with 300gr TSX FB , Hornady 300gr DG Solid, or Hornady 250gr CX Outfitter ammo at present.

Heck Yes! I love the cartridge!! It will for sure give you an advantage over the '06 as it simply hits harder, as in delivers more energy. I am taking mine as my only gun in 3 weeks.
I have always lived by the motto "you can't kill anything too dead". Since you pay for wounded and lost animals why not hit them with the hammer of Thor? Of the loads listed get the 300 grain tsx's and have great time!

That Barnes Vor-tex ammo in the 300 gr is a great bullet. I actually have a load worked up for my 375 H&H using that bullet and RL15 powder and it cloverleafs 3 shots at 100 yards.
I would not be afraid at all to use their factory ammo if you don't have time to work up your own load right now.
I will be using mine this August for Cape Buffalo and Crocodile.

I have a hunt planned this summer where the following animals are possibilities: Sable, Kudu, Impala, Warthog, Spingbok, Gemsbok. My newly purchased R8 is in 30-06. But in reading up on it, and having found a deal on a barrel. I'm tempted to add on a 375 H&H setup for the R8. My question is: Is that going to give me much over the 30-06 for non-dangerous animals like these plains game?

If I did go ahead with the 375, seeing as I likely won't have time to find components and work up a load, what would be recommended factory ammo for the above animals? I can only seem to find Barnes VOR-TX Safari with 300gr TSX FB , Hornady 300gr DG Solid, or Hornady 250gr CX Outfitter ammo at present.
Depends on your vision…the animals you state in no way require a 375. Your 30-06 is perfect. However if you ever want to hunt a Buff a 375 is a good choice

well, not that I really needed much push on it, but thanks for helping me justify the 375 addition. Now to figure out a good 30mm scope to match with it. At least with the R8 it'd be easy to take both setups if I want to.

The .375 H&H is a caliber that every ambitious hunter should own. Plenty of history, plenty of bullets to choose from, an absolute killer on 99.9% of the game on Earth. Join the club.

The answer to me is easy. You can bring another barrel for your R8 so why wouldn’t you buy the .375? It packs down so small that an extra barrel and scope is minimal.
The .30-06 will work great for those animals. A .375 is fun and you might as well get practice with it for when you return to Africa.

With a little practice, a 375H&H will become an easy shooter. Capable of taking all manner of game. And when that beautiful scrum cap Buff appears when you are hunting Eland, you are ready to step into position.

My last plains game hunt I wanted some fun alternating rifles on a daily basis.
I had my .30-06 and 180 gr. A-Frames at a MV of 2700, and my .375 H&H and 270 gr. A-Frames at the same MV.
Same action types (M70), safeties, trigger pull, same glass, and same POA - POI. Didn't matter which day and what game - I'd just grab the rifle I didn't use the day before and go slay animals.

By all means!

well, not that I really needed much push on it, but thanks for helping me justify the 375 addition. Now to figure out a good 30mm scope to match with it. At least with the R8 it'd be easy to take both setups if I want to.

If your R8 is a newer one with illumination control and you want a scope with illumination then your choices are Zeiss or Blaser scopes. Don’t care for about illumination then my preference would be either a Leica or Zeiss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross