Dangerous game & tracking dogs

mark-hunter

AH ambassador
Joined
Aug 14, 2016
Messages
6,704
Reaction score
14,073
Media
59
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
4
Member of
Hunting club, target shooting club, national hunting and shooting organisations
Hunted
6 safaris; Namibia: Kalahari, Khomas Highland, Caprivi; Zimbabwe: Doma area, Far East, Croatia
Dear all,

After reading many of the accounts on dangerous game hunting in Africa, even when this included a wounded animal charging on the end, I never noticed that the dogs for tracking are used.

I could not find any reference on the forum for this particular point, so I opened the separate thread.

Why not?
Using dogs for tracking wounded buffalo, for example is illegal in some/all countries?

It could possibly save some lives, if dogs could find a wounded DG in the bush, and give advanced info on location?
 
Mark,
I believe dogs are often used to help locate wounded animals in Africa.
 
hi there

my experience on this

a well trained tracking(blood) dog is invaluable
we have one at Tallyho (cross breed, weimeraner, blue tick, GSP) and he is an amazing tracking dog. he will bay any dangerous or plains game, we try use him when necessary and when possible for him to succeed. no use putting him on blood that is hours old on 30 deg c day. but fresh blood he is effective around 90% of the time, he find the animals quickly and bay them well
its then up to the PH and or client to get through the thick bush quickly and shoot the animal without shooting the dog

a dog thats not well trained and ineffective is a menace at best, keep him in camp as a campfire companion, out in the bush he is just in the way and a pain in the ass.
 
On my 2014 hunt, my PH used a tracking dog. It was specifically trained to only follow a blood trail and ignore all other scents. Different training emphasis to typical gun dogs/pointers.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,349
Messages
1,573,660
Members
169,799
Latest member
Collumjamese
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top