Dangerous Game Rifle Caliber for an Enthusiast

Buy a used vintage 375hh. Conserve and clean it up a bit yourself. Take it hunting in the USA. It will be an heirloom.

everything else in your budget is something sold by your kids at the estate sale when you take your dirt nap.

I'd agree with everyone on the 375. I've had great experience taking everything up to and including buffalo. If you plan to hand load try the heavy for caliber bullets (350gr), not much you can't do with that combo. Also agree with a couple threads on vintage gun...that can mean many things, but find one that's done really right, spend more than you thought you ever would and never look back. It's a rifle if you buy it right the first time it will be with you your entire life.

Captain Munro, the 375 H&H is a long and storied caliber in Africa. I used to own a LH Mod. 70 Safari Express, but was forced to sell it for financial reasons many years ago. The 375 H&H recoil is not too bad from a recoil standpoint. I used to shoot stout 300gr loads through it and it was less abusive than shooting my .338 WM using 250gr bullets.

I suffer from the affliction of being left handed, so my choices were very limited. I was looking at a 375 H&H, but then I had a chance to get a .416 Rem. Mag. I still haven’t shot it yet. So I do not know what the difference is regarding recoil.

Captain Munro, the 375 H&H is a long and storied caliber in Africa. I used to own a LH Mod. 70 Safari Express, but was forced to sell it for financial reasons many years ago. The 375 H&H recoil is not too bad from a recoil standpoint. I used to shoot stout 300gr loads through it and it was less abusive than shooting my .338 WM using 250gr bullets.

I suffer from the affliction of being left handed, so my choices were very limited. I was looking at a 375 H&H, but then I had a chance to get a .416 Rem. Mag. I still haven’t shot it yet. So I do not know what the difference is regarding recoil.
375 H&H is fantastic I agree. The recoil from the 416 Rigby was a substantial increase over the 375 H&H in the same type of rifle. It wasn't horrific, but it is a big step up.

Puts a smile on your face immediately, if you didn't get a concussion .

I own a 375H&H and recently sold my 416RM and both were on the same platform, the Blaser R8.

The 416RM fully kitted out came in at just over 13# with scope, ammo and sling. Recoil was significantly more than my previous experience with a 375H&H but still very tolerable. I ended up selling it because I realized that for the number of times I'm likely to hunt Africa, the 375H&H was enough gun for me. Here is a video of me shooting the 13# 416RM.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kjsRWV2RDmdVS6sd6

This video is me shooting a 375H&H that weighs 7.75# bare rifle. After having shot the 416 for quite a while, it felt like a pellet gun. When I added the scope, ammo and sling it weighs just over 10#.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/kuuLWpfdf5FUuSyE7

For a rifle being carried much more than it's shot, I'll tolerate the recoil and walk a whole lot farther with a lighter rifle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.30.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.30.18 AM.png
    4.7 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.30.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 9.30.30 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 98
375 H&H is fantastic I agree. The recoil from the 416 Rigby was a substantial increase over the 375 H&H in the same type of rifle. It wasn't horrific, but it is a big step up.

Puts a smile on your face immediately, if you didn't get a concussion .

Spoken like a true Canadian. It’s no wonder we have a smile on our faces heading to the penalty box after a good fight!

Spoken like a true Canadian. It’s no wonder we have a smile on our faces heading to the penalty box after a good fight!

I think my cousin Leroy Gorski led the WHL in fights and penalty minutes for years with the
e Saskatoon blades lol. His brother Sheldon still coaches hockey in the states, and is in the east coast hockey League hall of fame.

Leroy would have loved the 458 Lott and the 416, 470.

Reactions: WAB
I also was looking for a rifle like you are, and bought myself the Winchester model 70 Safari Express In .375 H&H. I mounted a 1.5-5 Leupold scope on it and will load slightly reduced North American loads for local hunting. Great rifle and cartridge.

I might be the oddball here, having a M98 in 416 Rigby but calibers and rifles are like wine. The taste varies, some like white and red. One goes well with chicken, the other with red meat.
I have a 9,3x62 and 64 and don't need the 375HH. If I wouldn't be German I would have the 375 in my armory, a fine bullet! Besides you will get some bullets in the bush, this is not the case for the 9,3 outside of Namibia.

But back to your question, I would choose first what you want to do. For plinking in the states, then get a Winchester or Ruger in 375HH. If you want to go to Afrika at some point on a DG hunt, go with something stronger like a 416 Rigby or WM. They are great even for smaller DG cats like cheetah/leps or crocs and are ideal for everything bigger. The 458s will be too much.

Choosing the 416 calibres would reduce your choice to the Winchester or a CZ since Ruger only does 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger is not so tapered and not ideal in warm conditions for reloading, besides it is pretty weak on the case load. I checked last year my Norma 416 Rigby PH monolithic solids in an Eli I shot (side brain and Security back headshot ) and the side one was close to exiting. The back brain shot passed through the brain and further. Ergo, it does the job. There you have a fine weapon for red meat.

For the PG I would go with a smaller 300WM.

As with wine, I like depending on the meal my white and reds. So, If you want versatility for PG and DG, I would go with the Sancerre of the PG, a 300WM and for the reds the Bordeaux under the big bores, a 416Rigby in a M98/ CRF.

Last edited:
I might be the oddball here, having a M98 in 416 Rigby but calibers and rifles are like wine. The taste varies, some like white and red. One goes well with chicken, the other with red meat.
I have a 9,3x62 and 64 and don't need the 375HH. If I wouldn't be German I would have the 375 in my armory, a fine bullet! Besides you will get some bullets in the bush, this is not the case for the 9,3 outside of Namibia.

But back to your question, I would choose first what you want to do. For plinking in the states, then get a Winchester or Ruger in 375HH. If you want to go to Afrika at some point on a DG hunt, go with something stronger like a 416 Rigby or WM. They are great even for smaller DG cats like cheetah/leps or crocs and are ideal for everything bigger. The 458s will be too much.

Choosing the 416 calibres would reduce your choice to the Winchester or a CZ since Ruger only does 416 Ruger. The 416 Ruger is not so tapered and not ideal in warm conditions for reloading, besides it is pretty weak on the case load. I checked last year my Norma 416 Rigby PH monolithic solids in an Eli I shot (side brain and Security back headshot ) and the side one was close to exiting. The back brain shot passed through the brain and further. Ergo, it does the job. There you have a fine weapon for red meat.

For the PG I would go with a smaller 300WM.

As with wine, I like depending on the meal my white and reds. So, If you want versatility for PG and DG, I would go with the Sancerre of the PG, a 300WM and for the reds the Bordeaux under the big bores, a 416Rigby in a M98/ CRF.
As I personally don't drink wine, what cartridge would you suggest to go with a good, dark German beer? I'm thinking my .338WM? LOL

As I personally don't drink wine, what cartridge would you suggest to go with a good, dark German beer? I'm thinking my .338WM? LOL
Fine cal. I have one too, but I sadly got to disappoint, Germans don't drink dark bear, that's what Brits and Outbackers do... and at room temp

Fine cal. I have one too, but I sadly got to disappoint, Germans don't drink dark bear, that's what Brits and Outbackers do... and at room temp
Thanks for the clarification. I'll take whatever is available as long as it's cold. LOL Actually, a good strong Ale isn't too bad at room temp. But, if it's a Pilsner or a Lager, I personally have to drink it cold. Otherwise, a bottle of water will do as I don't drink wine or hard liquor. I guess I'm a pretty boring lightweight? Ha! Ha!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross