Dangerous Game for a first Safari?

I dont think leopard is for everyone, experienced african hunter or not.

If you don't mind sitting perfectly still for 6 hours and pissing in a bottle, then I say go for it

You want real knot in your guts adrenaline rush... Tell your wife your going to Africa without her and how much it will cost

fullsizeoutput_94c.jpeg

The only cautionary note to first time DG hunters I’d offer is to use the “right“ firearm. We all have read Ruark, Hunter, Hemingway, et al. I have a dear friend and PH who will tell you that the most terrifying thing in his annual hunting year is the first time buffalo hunter showing up with open sights and a double rifle. Bring something that you use with exceptional confidence and familiarity for you first DG hunt.

If you don't mind sitting perfectly still for 6 hours and pissing in a bottle, then I say go for it
I don’t think it is quite that terrible. If nothing else, I never pissed in a bottle once killing a leopard. If you can handle sitting in a stand for whitetail, you can manage a leopard. You can probably use the same rifle.

Last edited:
If you dont have significant hunting experience before you take a DG hunting trip hunting for it is like parachuting solo after only watching a video game. You might not get a 2nd chance to avoid serious injury or death, when you find out that stress and fear has caused many a good man to freeze up or make wrong mental decisions.

I have significant NA hunting experience, however my wife does not.
We are a hunt together most of the time, both in the US and abroad.
On our first safari we only hunted PG.
Although in retrospect, we agree that I could have hunted Buffalo.
Taking a 375H&H that I was very confident with was a major factor.
What stopped us...money, or we would have done it.

Since then, we have planned a 2022 safari for Buffalo.
And my bride has also added Buffalo as an option in the future.
Maybe 2023 or 2024 for her, with her own 375H&H.

Nothing wrong with hunting DG on your first safari with a quality outfitter.

My first was in 2018 plains game only. Second trip 2019 was Buff and 3 plains game. Buffalo or any DG hunt will hook you hard into the thrill. My 2020 was of course cancelled due to Covid, it included Buff again as it was a thrill. 2021 is booked for 21 days, spread out in different locations for Buff Bull/cow combo, Lioness and mixed plains game. Just a warning one Buff will never be enough

As Tanks mentioned $! You can typically shoot a number of PG for what 1 buffalo costs. Still, it’s your hunt and your $. You have the right of doing it your way!

One other thing I would like to mention. Do it while you can and are physically able to and enjoy it. I went on my first at age 56 and after a few health issues and scares this past 2 years I decided to live life while I can, because you may not be able to if you wait till you retire.

I think that you've got some great feedback and reasoning for both sides. Like several have said....Why not? But then I do think the idea of starting with something else could be a wise choice in case your nerves get to you. That's a valid point. I don't like the idea of someone getting hurt. I feel you should do a true "self-evaluation" to see if you think that's a possibility. After all, your should know yourself better than anyone else on here!
My best guess is to why you have heard so many people suggest you start with a PG hunt prior to a DG hunt would be that there may be different levels of excitement. Is it possible that you could start out hunting DG, and then if you do hunt some PG you may not find it all that exciting?
I can pretty much guarantee you that if you've never been to Africa before, and you go on a PG hunt you are going to have the absolute time of your life! You will definitely want to go back and do more. And then at some point if you decide to step it up a bit and Hunt DG, then the excitement level would go up that much more! But that's just my hypothetical theory for why it's commonly recommended to do a PG hunt first.

6 hours? Yikes! I can't even glass for deer for an hour and a half, before I get happy feet and have to move.lol

I have been wrestling with the idea of hunting for DG on my first safari. Has anyone else hunted for a buff or leopard on their first trip?
I did not hunt DG on my first safari. I promised my wife I would not. Of course, we came across a buffalo that would have gone 45" and the trophy fee was 5K. watched him for about 10 minutes and the P.H. handed me his .470 NE and told me I could shoot it if I wanted to. I declined, was the dumbest (or second dumbest) thing I have done there. I will probably never see another one like it. Just be open to that opportunity trophy even if you don't plan a DG hunt. There are times you MUST prioritize your hunt so be prepared to focus when needed, especially leopard.

6 hours? Yikes! I can't even glass for deer for an hour and a half, before I get happy feet and have to move.lol

Most of the time I sit 4-5 hours. My record is 6am to 5pm never leaving the stand with a high of 6 degrees F. I chipped a tooth shivering but shot one at last light :E Cold:

we came across a buffalo that would have gone 45" and the trophy fee was 5K. watched him for about 10 minutes and the P.H. handed me his .470 NE and told me I could shoot it if I wanted to. I declined
OUCH!!! 45 inch for 5k and he handed you his DG rifle. :A Bang Head:

OUCH!!! 45 inch for 5k and he handed you his DG rifle. :A Bang Head:
Yes, exactly. And I was paying PG day rates! But I'm still married! (to the same woman)
But then when I got home and told her the story, she said it would have been O.K. with her...........:cry:
DSC00670.JPG

Last edited:
Haven't you learned that it's always easier to get forgiveness than permission?
I think I know what I would have done!
But then again, I've already been divorced! LOL

The only cautionary note to first time DG hunters I’d offer is to use the “right“ firearm. We all have read Ruark, Hunter, Hemingway, et al. I have a dear friend and PH who will tell you that the most terrifying thing in his annual hunting year is the first time buffalo hunter showing up with open sights and a double rifle. Bring something that you use with exceptional confidence and familiarity for you first DG hunt.
And Hemingway preferred a 30-06. Your PH will enjoy your buffalo hunt thoroughly! . There is nothing in America to prepare you for it... Are you thinking South Africa?

Start with elephant and then work your way down to dagga boys and pygmy antelope...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!