CZ550

425SCHADE

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
CZ 550 magnum experts,

Chasing some confirmation and advice on the magazine and feed rail specs on the CZ 550 American Magnum "standard" model for the various chambering's.
I wish to use the 550 as a platform for my wildcat cartridge based around a slightly improved .416 Rem Mag with COAL of 3.600" and have found a new rifle currently in .458WM.
Does the .458 have a full length mag? Will the rail opening be too wide?

Thanks in advance,

Alli know is from asking a friend who is one of the older statesmen in the english gunmaking trade a question a friend here asked me. It was about using a brno action to build a rifle..his answer was to use a 375 action as he found that for some reason the ones chambered in 458 win mag always have feeding problems when converted to another calibre...so possibly applies to the 550 as well....

CZ 550 magnum experts,

Chasing some confirmation and advice on the magazine and feed rail specs on the CZ 550 American Magnum "standard" model for the various chambering's.
I wish to use the 550 as a platform for my wildcat cartridge based around a slightly improved .416 Rem Mag with COAL of 3.600" and have found a new rifle currently in .458WM.
Does the .458 have a full length mag? Will the rail opening be too wide?

Thanks in advance,
I'm not even close to being a CZ 550 expert, but I do own a couple in .375, .458WM and the Lott. I may be wrong, but I believe the magazine length and feed rail specs are the same for all? I don't own a .416 RM, but from looking at my Hornady manual, the length and width of the RM is about the same for the Lott and the .375 H and H. What are your designs for your wildcatted RM? Is the shoulder degree and/or the case going to be blown out? If the design is to blow the case out, the feed rails might need to be modified. With the exception of the larger rim diameter, you'd be approaching the .416 Rigby case specs when blowing the case out. You could just buy the Rigby in the CZ, but not as much fun as a wildcat?

I'm not even close to being a CZ 550 expert, but I do own a couple in .375, .458WM and the Lott. I may be wrong, but I believe the magazine length and feed rail specs are the same for all? I don't own a .416 RM, but from looking at my Hornady manual, the length and width of the RM is about the same for the Lott and the .375 H and H. What are your designs for your wildcatted RM? Is the shoulder degree and/or the case going to be blown out? If the design is to blow the case out, the feed rails might need to be modified. With the exception of the larger rim diameter, you'd be approaching the .416 Rigby case specs when blowing the case out. You could just buy the Rigby in the CZ, but not as much fun as a wildcat?
Oops, nevermind, I see you already have a CZ in WM. Should work with a .416 barrel/chamber and your wildcat as long as it’s not too “exotic”?

Thanks CoElkHunter,
Without overlaying drawings,my case @ shoulder diameter of 0.496", will be very similar to the Lott at the same point. Full H&H length (2.850") with a neck of 0.423"

Thanks CoElkHunter,
Without overlaying drawings,my case @ shoulder diameter of 0.496", will be very similar to the Lott at the same point. Full H&H length (2.850") with a neck of 0.423"
Interesting? Kinda similar to my idea of necking down the Lott to .416 and having a .416 Lott. I could use the Lott brass and have a .416. Why? Absolutely no reasonable reason? But then again, Remington chose their 8mm case to create their .416, when the almost identical .416 Hoffman had been around for many years prior. I guess when one of the wildcats becomes mainstream and is manufactured by the "big boys", everything else is left to the wildcatters? I neck down my .458WM brass to create my .416 Taylor which was born in the early 1970's. Winchester and Ruger actually produced prototype rifles in this cartridge, but Winchester dropped the ball on the ammunition side and it was never produced commercially. Sixteen years later we now have the .416 Remington.

My design is nothing outrageous, certainly not for a first attempt. I am hoping for performance that equals modern .404 Jeffery (.423"/400gn @ 2400)in a H&H style case. So nothing that it, a .416 Rigby or Rem Mag doesn't already do, But the cartridge has my name on it. :)

Also not claiming to be an expert- the magazine length is the same for 375 and 458. Magazine width should be determined by the cartridge diameter but 375/Win Mag/Lott all have the same base size, it is only the taper and length that varies. My magazine is stamped 458 win mag, I reamed to Lott and the Lott rounds fit easily into the magazine. It also feeds better than a Win Mag round but I did lots of work on the feed rails and reciever just under the rails. You can chekc the thread I did detailing the steps. I would say give it a try, you may be lucky and it all works perfectly. Other wise, working on the rails and magazine can be done by a competent smith in a few hours- or done by an amateur (Me!) in a lot of hours.

I googled 425 Schade and found nothing and looked at Quality Cartridge, same thing. Is the 425 Schade the cartridge of this rifle build? If so would love to see pictures of the cartridge as well as some performance numbers.

You won't find anything on it yet, custom cases from RCC are on the way and development will commence on completion of rifle build(s).
Looking to emulate .404 Jeffery in a belted mag (H&H) case.

Screenshot_20201108-203721_Gallery.jpg

What was the motivation behind using a belted cartridge?
Did you consider the 416RIGBY?

Also not claiming to be an expert- the magazine length is the same for 375 and 458. Magazine width should be determined by the cartridge diameter but 375/Win Mag/Lott all have the same base size, it is only the taper and length that varies. My magazine is stamped 458 win mag, I reamed to Lott and the Lott rounds fit easily into the magazine. It also feeds better than a Win Mag round but I did lots of work on the feed rails and receiver just under the rails. You can check the thread I did detailing the steps. I would say give it a try, you may be lucky and it all works perfectly. Otherwise, working on the rails and magazine can be done by a competent smith in a few hours- or done by an amateur (Me !) in a lot of hours. Finally, it is not just the feed lips and magazine, the bolt face/extractor also have a lot to do with smooth feeding- especially the inside corner of the extractor where the case rides up into position.

What was the motivation behind using a belted cartridge?
Did you consider the 416RIGBY?
Nostalgia? Cases can be made from a number of existing others if required? Didn't want something as cavernous as a Rigby? Most likely is I chose a design that didn't require completely reinventing the wheel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lyn302587

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois