CZ550 Safari Magnum? Check, Winchester Model 70 Safari Express? Check. What affordable dangerous game rifle should I consider next?

I've actually been looking at the Ruger No.1's and have considered one as a cheap alternative to a double rifle if I could get one chambered in something interesting (470NE, 500J, 500NE).

It doesn't look like Ruger is currently offering their No.1 in any big bores though.

Hello Northern Shooter,

It remains a serious mystery why, during the high production years at Ruger that, they did not offer their fantastic Model #1 “Tropical”, in caliber .470 Nitro ………
Well ok … that and some other classic, Africa-worthy cartridges as well.
Just to name two more of the many, the .450 #2 NE 3.5” and .500 NE 3” come to mind.

Can you imagine how well a Ruger #1, in .470 NE, with 26” barrel and oval cheek piece stock would have been received ?
Zowie, whata peach.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

What about a Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby or 404J?

Hello Northern Shooter,

It remains a serious mystery why, during the high production years at Ruger that, they did not offer their fantastic Model #1 “Tropical”, in caliber .470 Nitro ………
Well ok … that and some other classic, Africa-worthy cartridges as well.
Just to name two more of the many, the .450 #2 NE 3.5” and .500 NE 3” come to mind.

Can you imagine how well a Ruger #1, in .470 NE, with 26” barrel and oval cheek piece stock would have been received ?
Zowie, whata peach.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
Those have been a fun time indeed. It's come to my attention recently that there are quite a lot of folks who have .458 WM and Lott #1's. They are carried and shot frequently and even carried later in life from the sound of it.
I'm uncertain why there haven't been larger calibers chambered. I'm not sure which weight barrel the 26" .470 would require, but I for one would welcome a big bore #1 with a nice rimmed cartridge.

What about a Ruger No 1 in 416 Rigby or 404J?

Greetings Mtn_Infantry,

Ruger did formerly offer their #1 Model in .416 Rigby.
I do not know if it was a limited run of them or not.
However, I have seen a half dozen or so of them in that truly great caliber.
Likewise, I have seen one factory made Ruger #1 in .404 Jeffery.
The .404 chambering I am sure, was a limited number, short run for sure.

A local machinist and fellow rifle enthusiast (Dean Hooper) here in Alaska, had once told me that, Ruger was somewhat put off by the .404 chamber dimensions not being SAAMI standardized.
So, with multiple versions of slightly differing chamber dimensions existing for this otherwise wonderful and historic caliber, Ruger quit messing around with it, before they had a chance to make very many rifles for it.

According to Mr. Hooper, many years ago the Ruger Corporation was rumored to having once formerly planned on building their huge Magnum M-77 in .404 Jeffery.
But that project died on the vine for the above mentioned tedium and frustration of trying to sort out which chamber dimensions to use.
The now discontinued Model 77 Magnum I think, was only offered in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott ….. ?
Well, at least those are the only calibers I’ve seen that great rifle made in, by Ruger / not custom rebarreled calibers.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Last edited:
Greetings Mtn_Infantry,

Ruger did formerly offer their #1 Model in .416 Rigby.
I do not know if it was a limited run of them or not.
However, I have seen a half dozen or so of them in that truly great caliber.
Likewise, I have seen one factory made Ruger #1 in .404 Jeffery.
The .404 chambering I am sure, was a limited number, short run for sure.

A local machinist and fellow rifle enthusiast (Dean Hooper) here in Alaska, had once told me that, Ruger was somewhat put off by the .404 chamber dimensions not being SAAMI standardized.
So, with multiple versions of slightly differing chamber dimensions existing for this otherwise wonderful and historic caliber, Ruger quit messing around with it, before they had a chance to make very many rifles for it.

According to Mr. Hooper, many years ago the Ruger Corporation was rumored to having once formerly planned on building their huge Magnum M-77 in .404 Jeffery.
But that project died on the vine for the above mentioned tedium and frustration of trying to sort out which chamber dimensions to use.
The now discontinued Model 77 Magnum I think, was only offered in .375 H&H, .416 Rigby and .458 Lott ….. ?
Well, at least those are the only calibers I’ve seen that great rifle made in, by Ruger / not custom rebarreled calibers.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.
I’ve seen several 416 Rigby offering in the No 1 and less (2-3) in 404J. I’ve seen several custom No 1’s in 404J.

I believe both of the chambering were a special run for 1 specific customer with very limited production numbers they’re out there, especially the .416.

Randy Brown, Rugers top retailer in the world told me that Ruger had trouble getting quality American walnut. And that was the holdup with producing 77’s, and number ones.

Randy asked the owner of Tristar, if they could help Ruger with securing quality Turkish walnut.
So Ruger should be coming out with much nicer walnut eventually. I did not ask if this will impact pricing.

In that same conversation, since we had the owner of Tristar on the phone I asked why they didn’t produce an entry level double rifle.

Apparently Turkey does not allow rifles to be made there. Also asked if they could chop the barrels of one of their nice O/U 20 gauge to 20” for ruffed grouse hunting.

Randy Brown, Rugers top retailer in the world told me that Ruger had trouble getting quality American walnut. And that was the holdup with producing 77’s, and number ones.

Randy asked the owner of Tristar, if they could help Ruger with securing quality Turkish walnut.
So Ruger should be coming out with much nicer walnut eventually. I did not ask if this will impact pricing.

In that same conversation, since we had the owner of Tristar on the phone I asked why they didn’t produce an entry level double rifle.

Apparently Turkey does not allow rifles to be made there. Also asked if they could chop the barrels of one of their nice O/U 20 gauge to 20” for ruffed grouse hunting.
That is the reason then? I have been wondering if they were just going to stop producing their African model and the No 1.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.56 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.56 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.58 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.58 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.59 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.10.59 AM.png
    743.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.11.02 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 8.11.02 AM.png
    568.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Capt. Munro, that’s what I heard. They have the actions. Just couldn’t get the wood they wanted.
A Ruger one with some nice Turkish wood . I’m thinking would sell

Here is a Tristar shotgun of mine. Many may consider Tristar a lesser quality shotgun. But they work for me.

That is the reason then? I have been wondering if they were just going to stop producing their African model and the No 1.

So how come other companies manage to turn out rifles with ok wood..ruger ain't exactly a custom rifle maker, so don't get their problem....since the RSM.....I thought they were basically middle of road or cheap end of market...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!