Ryanlo

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA New Zealand
Have been looking at my CZ in 404. Has some nice wood. Love the grain of the wood. But it is pretty shiny. Am I stupid for trying to think of a way to make it more of a matted finish?

It's been done before by members here on AH, I have seen some nice work done.

No you are not. Go ahead, take off the Varnish finish and do a nice "London Oil Finish", you will not be disappointed. You can find all the information on how to do it on line.

Had the same issues with a beautiful Weatherby stock(460 Weatherby out of the custom shop, that I converted to 338 Lapua). It had a shiny yellow finish to the stock. After doing above the stock came out dark and the figure in the wood came alive. It is now the most beautiful piece of wood in the gun safe.

Contact @AZDAVE, he seems to be good at that type work!

Share pictures before and after if you do this!

Share pictures before and after if you do this!

I will for sure. Need to look up some other people that have done it first and see the best way to do it. Never done anything like this before. Would be cool to see some before and after pictures

I had a 20g shotgun with a varnished stock, i changed it to oil finish. No photos. A bit of advice. Take your time when applying the oil.
You get a kit from Napier or look on the net.

Go ahead and strip that varnish off. You'll not be sorry.
I have done all my rifles and finished my CZ a few months ago.
I used a varnish/paint remover to get the bulk of the varnish off. Then rubbed it down with progressively finer grades of sandpaper and smoothed off all the sharp edges and rounded off bits I didn't like in the stock.
I then used Shaftol oil on the stock. I used a light and a dark oil to not get the stock as dark as my Winchester stock but still get on enough coats.
It looks a hell of a lot better than before. I hate the glossy varnish finish on rifles.
I'll see if I can send a pic of it tomorrow in the daylight.

IMG_1216.jpg
Why remove the finish, I'd rather remove the shine by the light use of a real fine steel wool to get the amount of mat finish your looking for

Here is a picture of the stock. Just so bright and shiny. Think they look a lot nicer matted.

I need to figure out the best way to do it

Thanks for all the advise

IMG_2981.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
No you are not. Go ahead, take off the Varnish finish and do a nice "London Oil Finish", you will not be disappointed. ..............

Just do it.

I'm not sure what the base of the CZ finish is. that will determine what sort of stripper you'll want. Once down to bare wood you can use which ever finish you prefer. I took the plastic finish off of a Browning Citori a year or two back- I'll post some pics- if I can find them.

Remove the varnish, and sand with 330 lightly, then use pure linseed oil cut with mineral spirits. Use Emery paper for first few coats, last 3 coats no sanding

Strip the varnish, sand through the grades of paper raise the grain and cut it back twice, add colour (alkenut root oil) seal the grain. Apply oil finish until your happy buff and wax.

I do 20-30 stocks from varnish or truoil to best London hand rubbed oil a month. If you want help drop me a message.

Here is a picture of the stock. Just so bright and shiny. Think they look a lot nicer matted.

I need to figure out the best way to do it

Thanks for all the advise

looks like a nice piece of wood should come up very nicely

Go ahead and strip that varnish off. You'll not be sorry.
I have done all my rifles and finished my CZ a few months ago.
I used a varnish/paint remover to get the bulk of the varnish off. Then rubbed it down with progressively finer grades of sandpaper and smoothed off all the sharp edges and rounded off bits I didn't like in the stock.
I then used Shaftol oil on the stock. I used a light and a dark oil to not get the stock as dark as my Winchester stock but still get on enough coats.
It looks a hell of a lot better than before. I hate the glossy varnish finish on rifles.
I'll see if I can send a pic of it tomorrow in the daylight.

excellent will drop of mine for you to do.....:A Yeah:...:E Rofl:

Here are pics of the Browning Superlight that I refinished a few years back. the original finish was a urethane base and was very impermeable to solvents, but persistence pays off and it finally was clean. then I applied combinations of Linspeed and Tung oil.

lead backyard 005.JPG
lead backyard 008.JPG
lead backyard 038.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glorianab

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg