CZ Safari Classics II

I wish I could get a Rigby Big Game for 8500.00 USD, it would make my decision easy out of all the rifles listed!

I wish I could get a Rigby Big Game for 8500.00 USD, it would make my decision easy out of all the rifles listed!
Absolutely, why in the world would anyone pay more for ANY CZ than a Rigby? Great price on the Rigby, terrible price for the CZ. I am hoping for OP's sake, there has been a mix up in some of the prices he posted.

Absolutely, why in the world would anyone pay more for ANY CZ than a Rigby? Great price on the Rigby, terrible price for the CZ. I am hoping for OP's sake, there has been a mix up in some of the prices he posted.

Don’t worry about me, I just asked for a quote, didn’t order it . The prices I posted are ones advertised online by retailers in Poland or in case of Rigby on Rigby’s website (https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-big-game). Prices on Rigby’s site are exclusive of tax and UK’s VAT is 20%, have a look.

Is Rigby better made than this CZ? I would guess so but I haven’t personally handled either of the rifles so don’t know it for a fact. Keeping in mind that it’s possible for a less established manufacturer to up the game and offer better product than competitors it is perfectly possible that these rifles are in fact of similar quality. True, Rigby has a great, established name but it’s a well placed shot that anchors game not the name engraved on a rifle and such shots are typically fired from decent, reliable guns, not shiny catalogues. It needs to be remembered that a lot of the stuff about established companies is just marketing bluff, just because few personalities used their products does not yet make them better, especially if you consider that other than the name Rigby is pretty much a new business.

Mercedes and BMW are all very established, Mercedes prides itself on inventing the automobile. I’ve owned cars from both of these companies and got tired of bullshit and crap service and am now a happy owner of a trouble free Lexus (my second one). I’m not saying CZ is better or equally good to other rifles that can be had for same money, it is possible, though not very likely but I’m not willing to make a judgement until I’ve personally handled them, tradition and name can truly stand for outstanding product or can be just smoke and mirrors.

Don’t worry about me, I just asked for a quote, didn’t order it . The prices I posted are ones advertised online by retailers in Poland or in case of Rigby on Rigby’s website (https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-big-game). Prices on Rigby’s site are exclusive of tax and UK’s VAT is 20%, have a look.

Is Rigby better made than this CZ? I would guess so but I haven’t personally handled either of the rifles so don’t know it for a fact. Keeping in mind that it’s possible for a less established manufacturer to up the game and offer better product than competitors it is perfectly possible that these rifles are in fact of similar quality. True, Rigby has a great, established name but it’s a well placed shot that anchors game not the name engraved on a rifle and such shots are typically fired from decent, reliable guns, not shiny catalogues. It needs to be remembered that a lot of the stuff about established companies is just marketing bluff, just because few personalities used their products does not yet make them better, especially if you consider that other than the name Rigby is pretty much a new business.

Mercedes and BMW are all very established, Mercedes prides itself on inventing the automobile. I’ve owned cars from both of these companies and got tired of bullshit and crap service and am now a happy owner of a trouble free Lexus (my second one). I’m not saying CZ is better or equally good to other rifles that can be had for same money, it is possible, though not very likely but I’m not willing to make a judgement until I’ve personally handled them, tradition and name can truly stand for outstanding product or can be just smoke and mirrors.
Hi OP, Yes I am very familiar with the Rigby web site and know several of the people that work there. Are you sure you are reading the Rigby price in Euros and not pounds? Can be a big difference in total cost. I won't argue with you over marketing of any product including firearms. And also agree that a CZ or Winchester for that matter will take care of business. I will say that there is no comparison between Rigby and CZ. What you have to decide, is it worth the price difference. If in Poland a CZ cost more than a Rigby, someone has screwed up the numbers. What ever you decide, good luck and let us know. Many of us are very curious now, to say the least!!!

The prices on Rigby's UK web site are in Pounds but I've added the tax and converted it to EUR before posting - PH model is listed at 5238GBP + 20% VAT = 6285.6GBP that's roughly 8700USD or 7050EUR. As for CZ keep in mind we are taking about what appears to be a new product line. CZ's are very popular in Poland because they are cheap, and 6500EUR is not cheap. Standard CZ 550 Magnum can be had for under 1000EUR. I guess I was hoping that the Safari Classics II were a bit extra and was somewhat shocked to discover it is many times more expensive, so I'm not going to get any of them, I wanted a good cheap rifle only because I want one but it seems the product I want does not exist. I have zero actual need for it so can afford to be fussy and not get any - I already have a 470 double and a scoped 375H&H so my big game hunting tools needs are covered.

The prices on Rigby's UK web site are in Pounds but I've added the tax and converted it to EUR before posting - PH model is listed at 5238GBP + 20% VAT = 6285.6GBP that's roughly 8700USD or 7050EUR. As for CZ keep in mind we are taking about what appears to be a new product line. CZ's are very popular in Poland because they are cheap, and 6500EUR is not cheap. Standard CZ 550 Magnum can be had for under 1000EUR. I guess I was hoping that the Safari Classics II were a bit extra and was somewhat shocked to discover it is many times more expensive, so I'm not going to get any of them, I wanted a good cheap rifle only because I want one but it seems the product I want does not exist. I have zero actual need for it so can afford to be fussy and not get any - I already have a 470 double and a scoped 375H&H so my big game hunting tools needs are covered.
Thanks for keeping us informed. The basic Big Game (no gold lettering and such) in the States is around $15000. The PH model is less, but not sure of the cost. The Highland Stalker in the States is around $9000. Stay in touch with your gun buying adventures!!!

Does anyone know if CZ ever offered a "Standard" grade .404 J? In other words a poor mans Jeff..lol

You can get a .416 in Rigby or Rem mag for about $1200, but havn't been able to find a .404 like that. :(

Last edited:
If they exist, I have never heard of one. I'm sure they could sell a truck load at $1200!

I know nothing about this new model CZ but I am curious to find out. I have shot both the CZ and the Rigby in 416. I also own a CZ. There is no doubt the Rigby is a nicer rifle. Fit, finish grade of wood etc. However there is a big chunk of the price difference that is only for the name Rigby. There is a ton of PH's who shoot CZ in the standard grade. If it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me.

If they exist, I have never heard of one. I'm sure they could sell a truck load at $1200!

Yeah I'm sure they could! I'd sign up pretty quick!

I just received a quote for the CZ Safari Classics II from the official polish distributor. The quoted price was 27000PLN - 6500EUR with a 3 month wait! By comparison: Rigby Big Game PH is listed on Rigby's web site at 7000EUR incl. tax! I could fly to London for 100EUR to pick it up or use their polish distributor. In Poland Sako 85 Safari can be had for 6200EUR, Sako Kodiak is about 2100EUR, Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott is about 4000EUR and 416 Rem Mag 3800EUR, Blaser R8 Kilombero is about 7100EUR and the synthetic stock version is 5700EUR. Sauer S404 (available in 404 Jeffery) starts at 3200EUR for synthetic and is about 4500EUR for "elegance" grade with nice timber stock. I'm really curious if CZ really picked up their game and these rifles are now made to a much higher standard or if someone at CZ has gone mad! I've asked around and obviously no one has any of these in stock, big bores are always special order in Poland as there is absolutely no need for them for local game. I'd love to handle one of these rifles to see the quality for myself, I'm tempted to drive up to the CZ factory to handle one.
Wow! Awesome homework! I have been trying to find a price on this very attractive looking gun, but have been unsuccessful. I was thinking of selling my very nice CZ550 Safari Classic and buying one of these. I like the stock, the forend, barrel sling mount etc. but for a HUGE difference in price, I think I will forget this idea.

Does anyone know if CZ ever offered a "Standard" grade .404 J? In other words a poor mans Jeff..lol

You can get a .416 in Rigby or Rem mag for about $1200, but havn't been able to find a .404 like that. :(

Back when I was looking for a 404 Jeffery I found out that CZ offered "plain Jane" versions for one year. That being 2010.
Those that have them must be keeping them because I never saw one of those up for sale. Now days they are only offered through their custom shop.

If you're wanting an affordable 404 Jeffrey I'd find a decent Winchester and have it re-bored and re-chambered. You should be able to buy the rifle and have the work done for less than two grand. In order to have the proper geometry the magazine should be widened slightly, too, but I think one could do without.

Edit: If you do you'll need to find a 375 H&H (easy enough) as the 416's groove diameter is too large to remove with the 404 Jeffrey's 0.412" bore diameter.

Last edited:

Nope. They only offer it in their high grade line up. It is up there with the 500J, 450R and 505 Gibbs price range. But, yeah they would sell a ton of them if they made one in the price range of their standard 550 magnum.

According to CZ’s website they don’t hammer forge 404 barrels themselves but buy them from Lothar Walter which would explain higher price and lower availability.

Nope. They only offer it in their high grade line up. It is up there with the 500J, 450R and 505 Gibbs price range. But, yeah they would sell a ton of them if they made one in the price range of their standard 550 magnum.
According to CZ’s website they don’t hammer forge 404 barrels themselves but buy them from Lothar Walter which would explain higher price and lower availability.

Thanks for the info guys... hopes and dreams gone with the wind...oh well

You know, given the current popularity of the 404 Jeffrey (not to mention its past utilization, which FAR outstrips that of the 416 Rigby), and the modest size of the case, I am somewhat surprised that it is not more readily available in lower cost rifles such as the Model 70.

You know, given the current popularity of the 404 Jeffrey (not to mention its past utilization, which FAR outstrips that of the 416 Rigby), and the modest size of the case, I am somewhat surprised that it is not more readily available in lower cost rifles such as the Model 70.
I am too. I would have thought at least a limited run would have been done by now at least to test the waters.

If you're wanting an affordable 404 Jeffrey I'd find a decent Winchester and have it re-bored and re-chambered. You should be able to buy the rifle and have the work done for less than two grand. In order to have the proper geometry the magazine should be widened slightly, too, but I think one could do without.

Edit: If you do you'll need to find a 375 H&H (easy enough) as the 416's groove diameter is too large to remove with the 404 Jeffrey's 0.412" bore diameter.
Jeffery bore is .423".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you