CZ Safari Classics II

Oh it can be done but the price pretty much doubles with firearms imported from US

Based on presented invoice

Although price is important. I would consider first does the rifle function properly. How much time was really spent making sure every round cycles properly EVERY TIME. Does the rifle have acceptable accuracy? Very few modern rifles go up in value most do not even hold the price paid. Look how many people say I got a real good price on a like new xXxX. Did they really? Suggestion by the rifle not the full page ad. Most really great small custom rifle makers only advertising is word of mouth.

So, back to the original question about the "new" Classic II CZ ... and answering it...

Based on feedback from Europe, and observation of the European Safari-Classic CZ website, the so called Classic II is NOT a new CZ. It is exactly IN EUROPE what the "Safari Classics Magnum Express Rifle" of the CZ USA website is IN THE US. That is: a gun said to be "Custom built to customer specifications." I personally would rather think of it as a gun "assembled" to customer specs.

What this means is that a third party shop under contract with CZ will:
1) use a standard CZ 550 action and trigger;
2) screw a standard CZ barrel in calibers offered by CZ; or
3) screw a third party barrel in calibers not offered by CZ but machined to the standard CZ specs (rear sight mount, barrel recoil lug);
4) install standard CZ front & rear sights;
5) install a front swivel barrel band - WHICH IS THE ONLY TRUE FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE on the "custom" gun;
6) assumedly (?) (I say "assumedly" because I do not know if this is systematically done, or only done upon paid-for client request) perform an "action job" to smooth the action work and the feeding, which the CZ 550 admittedly badly deserves;
7) offer all the usual cosmetic stuffs (jeweling of bolt, rust bluing, etc.);
8) re-finish the standard CZ plain or higher grade stock (or re-stock to the client's specifications, upon paid-for client request);
9) glass-bed the stock upon paid-for client request.

I learned this recently because I had extensive discussions with the third-party shop that produces the "Safari Classics Magnum Express Rifle" here in the US when I inquired about a CZ 550 .338 Lapua to pair with my CZ 550 .416 Rigby (an interesting potential "battery") and concluded that the cost was not worth replacing my .340 Wby which deliver exactly the same ballistics. Instead, I decided to wait a year or two and buy a used CZ 550 Western in .338 Lapua, which is a CZ 550 Safari without iron sights (which is OK because it will not be used on dangerous game), when they start showing up used with 40 rounds fired on Gun Broker for $1,000.

In summary, there is ZERO fundamental difference between the plain-Jane CZ 550 sold for ~$1,200 in standard calibers (blessfully including the .416 Rigby, but sadly missing the .404, which is surprising when you think that they offer the .450 Rigby for which you would think that there would be less demand) and the custom jobs, either in Europe or US, aside from that barrel band front swivel - which I for sure think they should have on the standard gun, and whatever cosmetics you may want to ask for in a custom job.

As to the action-job, if you are half-way observant of contact points on the gun, and willing to spend a few hours with the appropriate fine grit sand paper and valve grinding compound, you will be positively amazed at how slick a standard 550 will become within a rainy afternoon and for a grand expenditure of about a few pennies (excluding your time).
Check specifically:
- how the central edge of the follower plate binds inside the grove for the ejector blade in the under side of the bolt (solved by rounding the central edge of the follower);
- how the burrs of the ejector blade grind inside the ejector grove of the bolt (solved by deburring/polishing the ejector blade);
- how the burrs of the lower rear bridge machining grind against the bolt (solved by deburring/polishing the machining of the lower rear bridge);
- how the forward edge of the extractor collar binds inside the upper rear bridge (solved by rounding the edges of the extractor collar and polishing the inside of the rear bridge);
- how the machining burrs on the inside and lower faces of the feeding lips grind against the feeding cartridges (solved by polishing carefully - but NOT removing material from - the feeding lips).

Observe that, regrettably, neither European nor US based custom shops offer the installation a true safety, i.e. a safety that blocks the firing pin (either with 2 positions as on the Weatherby Mark V, or 3 positions as on the Winchester 70 and derivatives), instead of the sear blocking CZ factory safety which cannot stop the pin from firing the gun should the sear slip for whatever reason. Offering the installation of a firing pin blocking safety would be a true gun "building" step, although it is now almost just an assembly step considering that the parts are widely available (Lapour, Gentry, etc.) and the machining to install one is mostly limited to drilling one small hole in the bolt handle with a carbide bit.

Now mind you, the standard CZ 550 is the heck of a great gun! Rough as delivered? Heck yes! But it is a rough diamond just waiting for polishing. People in the know have known this well for decades. After all, let us not forget that the mighty Rigby shop itself built for years its own vaunted .416 on Brno ZKK 602 action and CZ 550 actions (the same action by the way, made in the same place but labeled differently in pre and post communist collapse Yougoslavia and Serbia) before Mauser resumed producing magnum length 98.......

Last edited:
You said it all, 100%!

And, I am rightly reminded to add (thank you Lon):

1) if in addition to doing one's own free 4-hour action-job;

2) if in addition to spending $300 to have a firing pin-blocking safety (i.e. in American vernacular a "3 position safety") installed, which is the only true mandatory gunsmith work needed on a CZ 550 (yes, one can live with a forearm mounted front swivel, or one can also have one soldered on the barrel for another $100);

3) AND - the part I previously forgot - if one replaces the standard wood paddle that (very) loosely fits the standard CZ 550, with a $272 Bell & Carlson Kevlar/Aramid stock with full aluminum bedding block and bedding pillars, available at http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1099 (dirty little secret: B&C are the ones who make the $600 CZ "Aramid" stock. See http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=30 );

then, one essentially has all the functions of a full custom job $8,000 rifle (except for the cosmetics), for about $1,900, because, truth be told, the CZ factory big bore cold hammer forged barrels tend to shoot very, very well, and the over-the-counter $130 Alaska Arms Quick Detach (and Talley, and Warnes) rings are as reliable as (more than?) any $1,500 German claw mount, since CZ had the good sense to machine grooves in their dual square bridge action. For example, my standard CZ 500 .416 Rigby with a low power variable Schmidt & Bender scope (the glass is where one wants to spend the money!) truly aggregates 3 shots at 100 yards/meters in a clover leaf, as I am sure most other big bore CZ barrels do.

Oh, and let us not forget another $9 or $26 for a taller front sight. My rifle, from the factory, shot about 6" high at 25 yards/meters, which is more or less the distance where a .416 iron sights should be shooting at point of aim.

Now, if one considers that the first 24 hour non-stop rain in a remote tented camp, in Africa or Alaska, will turn the best hand-rubbed oil-finished 4 star French walnut into an ash-grey swollen stick, and the most sumptuous rust blue job into just plain rust overnight, then the old CZ ZKK 602 parkerized finish, or the newer CZ 550 standard blue, and Kevlar, acquire a new appeal ;-)

All of that to say that true custom guns are a joy to own, I have a few from Dumoulin, Griffin & Howe, etc., but that a well understood and appropriately touched-up standard CZ 550 will get you a very, very long way in the hunting fields, if not in the gun library.

Attachments

• Screenshot (323).png
    Screenshot (323).png
    695.9 KB · Views: 138
  • Screenshot (324).png
    Screenshot (324).png
    804 KB · Views: 126
  • Screenshot (325).png
    Screenshot (325).png
    595.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
By the way, for those in doubt, the formula for determining the amount of front sight correction needed, is as follows:
amount of point of impact shift required in inches (in my case, 6 inches)
x (multiplied by) sight radius in inches (in the case of the CZ 550, 20 inches)
/ (divided by) distance to the target in inches (in this case 25 yard x 36 inches per yard = 900 inches)
= required increase or decrease of front sight eight in inches.

So, in the case of my CZ 550 .416 Rigby, I shot 6" high at 25 yards/maters, so I needed a front sight 6 x 20 / 900 = 0.13 inch taller, which CZ would have sold to me happily for $9 (http://shop.cz-usa.com/cz-products/rifles/sights/centerfire ).

But I prefered to slip on a New England Custom Gun large diameter 3/32" white bead front sight (https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/item_info.asp?Brand_id=4839&ST=CZ 3/32" White Bead#.WqYismrwawU), so I splurged the $26 ;-)

Attachments

• Screenshot (326).png
    Screenshot (326).png
    486.6 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Can't argue with anything you said.

And, I am rightly reminded to add (thank you Lon):

1) if in addition to doing one's own free 4-hour action-job;

2) if in addition to spending $300 to have a firing pin-blocking safety (i.e. in American vernacular a "3 position safety") installed, which is the only true mandatory gunsmith work needed on a CZ 550 (yes, one can live with a forearm mounted front swivel, or one can also have one soldered on the barrel for another $100);

3) AND - the part I previously forgot - if one replaces the standard wood paddle that (very) loosely fits the standard CZ 550, with a $272 Bell & Carlson Kevlar/Aramid stock with full aluminum bedding block and bedding pillars, available at http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=1099 (dirty little secret: B&C are the ones who make the $600 CZ "Aramid" stock. See http://www.bellandcarlson.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=30 );

then, one essentially has all the functions of a full custom job $8,000 rifle (except for the cosmetics), for about $1,900, because, truth be told, the CZ factory big bore cold hammer forged barrels tend to shoot very, very well, and the over-the-counter $130 Alaska Arms Quick Detach (and Talley, and Warnes) rings are as reliable as (more than?) any $1,500 German claw mount, since CZ had the good sense to machine grooves in their dual square bridge action. For example, my standard CZ 500 .416 Rigby with a low power variable Schmidt & Bender scope (the glass is where one wants to spend the money!) truly aggregates 3 shots at 100 yards/meters in a clover leaf, as I am sure most other big bore CZ barrels do.

Oh, and let us not forget another $9 or $26 for a taller front sight. My rifle, from the factory, shot about 6" high at 25 yards/meters, which is more or less the distance where a .416 iron sights should be shooting at point of aim.

Now, if one considers that the first 24 hour non-stop rain in a remote tented camp, in Africa or Alaska, will turn the best hand-rubbed oil-finished 4 star French walnut into an ash-grey swollen stick, and the most sumptuous rust blue job into just plain rust overnight, then the old CZ ZKK 602 parkerized finish, or the newer CZ 550 standard blue, and Kevlar, acquire a new appeal ;-)

All of that to say that true custom guns are a joy to own, I have a few from Dumoulin, Griffin & Howe, etc., but that a well understood and appropriately touched-up standard CZ 550 will get you a very, very long way in the hunting fields, if not in the gun library.
Having a problem with PM. Just wanted to mention the two CZs stocks in my previous PM. Both had a partial sticker on the inside of the wood "Boyd"!!

Back when I was looking for a 404 Jeffery I found out that CZ offered "plain Jane" versions for one year. That being 2010.
Those that have them must be keeping them because I never saw one of those up for sale. Now days they are only offered through their custom shop.

I bought one around this time for $1400 Canadian, t took a bit to find

Did anyone else end up getting their hands on one of these Safari Classics II models?
I just purchased one brand new still in box chambered in 458 Lott, first CZ550 I have ever bought.

Link below to the 2019 catalogue that gives you a description and some specs. The one I got is an oiled matte finish, should be here in a couple of weeks.

I'll post some more pics when it arrives.

1712206310541.jpeg

1712206351630.jpeg

Did anyone else end up getting their hands on one of these Safari Classics II models?
I just purchased one brand new still in box chambered in 458 Lott, first CZ550 I have ever bought.

Link below to the 2019 catalogue that gives you a description and some specs. The one I got is an oiled matte finish, should be here in a couple of weeks.

View attachment 597286
View attachment 597287
damn neat. never heard of them

View attachment 597286
View attachment 597287
Yup I got one in .404 Jeffery. Is yours coming from Clayton?

Yup I got one in .404 Jeffery. Is yours coming from Clayton?
Yeah mate yep, is that where you got yours from?

Mine turned up at my dealer this week, I'm very impressed with it. The fit and finish on it is as good as any Rigby I've owned. The hand fitting of the bolt to action is unreal, there is absolutely no movement and the bolt cycles like it's running on glass. I'm keen to pull the action out of the stock and see what the glass bedding looks like.

Can't wait to get it out on the range, I've got a set of Talley QD rings coming for a Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5 scope.

Yes mate from Clayton as well. You are right it is a nice rifle, I put a VX-3 1.5-5 on with Talleys as well. I also had a bit of work done on the bedding and when I get the time I will replace the recoil pad with something nicer.

Yeah mate yep, is that where you got yours from?

Mine turned up at my dealer this week, I'm very impressed with it. The fit and finish on it is as good as any Rigby I've owned. The hand fitting of the bolt to action is unreal, there is absolutely no movement and the bolt cycles like it's running on glass. I'm keen to pull the action out of the stock and see what the glass bedding looks like.

Can't wait to get it out on the range, I've got a set of Talley QD rings coming for a Leupold VX-3HD 1.5-5 scope.
It sure looks like the nicest regular version of the Safari CZ 550 they ever produced. Enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arecruitment880

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!