CZ Gunsmithing

Luvthunt

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
who are the gunsmithing people out there who specialize in CZs other then AHR?

I'm surprised this isn't getting more attention as it's such a common rifle. I've got a few bits I need to fettle out of mine so was hoping to read more about it!

Which bits are giving you issues?

I used triple river for my CZ they are located in Warsaw Missouri.

Not in any issues on the CZs, but looking for options and advice as to quality, service and extent of services offered.
Of course, price is a factor but quality before price.
Yes did think there would be more response, so read it as few to no options except for the one offered by jpg.
Thank you for your post.

Luvhunt, I think the issue is the use of the word "specialize." CZ(s) have earned their bad reputation for having feeding problems. Rectifying the feeding issues often requires re-machining parts of the rifle. I have no doubt that there have been lessons learned the hard way. Hence the reluctance by gunsmiths in general to rectify this specific problem. FYI Triple River is in fact CZ's Custom Shop.

The only 2 I have heard that "specialize" in CZ are AHR and Triple River. I haven't used either so I can't speak to the quality of their work.

I wonder just how many people here would say nice things and recommend a vehicle brand that immediately after purchasing a new one had to send it off to be reworked by a after market company so that it would be reliable?

Who here would buy new razor blades if you had to sharpen before you could shave with them?

Why not just buy a Winchester cf rifle to start with?

Anybody have one of the safari classics custom made by triple river?

Please tell us about it.

I wonder just how many people here would say nice things and recommend a vehicle brand that immediately after purchasing a new one had to send it off to be reworked by a after market company so that it would be reliable?

Who here would buy new razor blades if you had to sharpen before you could shave with them?

I always question this too. You can buy a better product for less than a modified cheaper product.

Most CZ work can be done yourself to tune it. $800 rifle plus personal time and effort makes sense. Buying a 4000 custom one? There are many better rifles at $4000.

Please tell us about it.
I had Triple River build my 404Jeff, The price for the conversion from 375HH to 404 Jeff was reasonable the work done was good and the Rifle functioned perfectly

I had Triple River build my 404Jeff, The price for the conversion from 375HH to 404 Jeff was reasonable the work done was good and the Rifle functioned perfectly

Can you tell us what the all in final finished 404 J cost you?

Last edited:

Please tell us about it.
I purchased one that was lightly used in 404 Jeff. It's an excellent rifle, nice wood, and have no complaints.

I had picked up some Norma ammo at DSC via the silent auction to practice with prior to a hunt and found that the RN Woodleighs tended to hang up every once in a while. However the Swift A Frames I wanted to use on the hunt cycled just fine. I believe this is a common trend with some of the bigger calibers and flat or very rounded bullets, which can be smoothed out.

One more round in magazine, true safari length action, rock solid front and rear sight, I read that most don’t need the work that is stated....the Winchester is great, but it is not quite the base gun as a CZ. It can be converted to 458 lott, but nothing bigger. It might feed and it might need quite a bit of work. The bolt handle will always be angled. Sights will be deer rifle sights unless you change, but not terrible.

Just some thoughts.

This is a few years old, but the official CZ custom shop price list.

Attachments

• 2017 RETAIL Safari Classics Order Form.pdf
    52.5 KB · Views: 222
One more round in magazine, true safari length action, rock solid front and rear sight, I read that most don’t need the work that is stated....the Winchester is great, but it is not quite the base gun as a CZ. It can be converted to 458 lott, but nothing bigger. It might feed and it might need quite a bit of work. The bolt handle will always be angled. Sights will be deer rifle sights unless you change, but not terrible.

Just some thoughts.

Oh my......ok...

Why do you "need" one extra round if you are a good shot and are hitting the animal with a round that will stop it in it's tracks without taking a head shot.

Why do you "need" to rechamber to a 458 Lott? My favorite rifle in the world is a mauser that I built into the lightest, shortest 458 Winchester that I have ever seen. It has one shot dropped everything that I ever shot with it....... except an Impala that ran for 80 yards before it took a full speed chin slide into home plate missing both it's heart and lungs.

I have killed the largest and most.dangerous land animals in the world with it, though there are many much better for stopping , starting with the 460 Weatherby.

I wonder if a Remington rifle refused to cycle rounds through it if the owner would send it off to a gunsmith and pay for it out of his own pocket to make it reliable or would he hold Remi gton's feet to the fire and make them fix it right free of "extra" charge?

Glad I had mine built when I did

Von S. - this -

"I wonder if a Remington rifle refused to cycle rounds through it if the owner would send it off to a gunsmith and pay for it out of his own pocket to make it reliable or would he hold Remi gton's feet to the fire and make them fix it right free of "extra" charge?"

Is exactly what many people do with Remingtons to build long range precision rifles - blueprint action, install larger recoil lug, lap the bolt, replace the factory barrel with a custom one, replace the stock, install a Timney - you can do it in increments as you get the money.

Given Remington's screwing up financially, and Bushmaster, and... - probably won't be buying anything from them.

Oh yea......great question

For around the last three years they have had a lifetime original owner limited warranty that would cover that problem. Before that they had different versions of different warranties.

If its not feeding it has to not be feeding rem factory ammo.

One person brought in a remington that really would not feed, but magically started the minute we tried the right caliber ammo.

I found a Winchester I liked and a proper gunsmith to make it what I want.

Sights, length of pull, weight, trigger, barrel shorten...not small work, but less than a CZ would take and it will handle better as I really like Winchester stock patterns.

I’m still going to be short a couple rounds when loaded up, but I traded that for good stock fit and slick feeding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg