CZ Feed Issues

Not sure if you reload, but I loaded a bunch of dummy rounds and made sure they cycled fast, slow, upside down, etc. It's kind of a torture test. When I could do a hundred rounds in a row with no issues I called it good. With the exception of really really hot loads that should never happen where the case is essentially welded into chamber after firing, dummy rounds are a pretty good way to check out feed and function. Of course the same to a lesser extent needs to be done with live rounds at the range. With my 500 Jeffery, a notoriously difficult round to get to feed and function, it took three trips to three different gunsmiths but we got it there. It didn't cost much money to fix it, but it took time and patience (or scotch). The 375 H&H and the 416 Rigby have the reputation of being easy rounds to get to work due to their nice gentle taper.

I gave up on CZ a while ago, and went back to the Model 70. Their quality is very spotty, and even if you get lucky with a good functioning rifle, the trigger stinks and its a pretty roughly finnished gun.. I sent 2 of mine to American Hunting Rifles for the CZ upgrade #1, and ended up having much more money into these guns than a better quality rifle would have cost from the start.

I watch countless people on this forum send their CZs in to basically have them converted into a Win model 70 at 3 times the cost of buying the Win, then proclaim how much they love their CZs. I don't get that.

Hopefully your experience with your 550 are better than mine and many others I know.

We have both. Don't disagree that CZs can need some work, but for a 450 Rigby or 500 Jeffery which I have, I like the CZ better. It's more solid, Wayne's trigger is superior. For a 375 H&H or a 416 Rem I would definitely go Model 70.

Well in advance of any journey to Africa (or name your destination), train mightily with your boots and your rifle both.
It simply will not do, to be on the other side of the globe and way out in the bush, when you discover that your boots hurt your feet and / or your rifle does not function properly.

I own or have owned at least a half dozen CZ Model 550 rifles, in calibers 6.5x55, through .500 Jeffery.
Only the .500 gave me feeding problems (built by CZ's so called "Custom Shop").
When I called them to describe that, not only did my rifle refuse to feed at all from the magazine but, likewise when carefully using four hands, to coax a live factory (present day Kynoch) round from the magazine, I found the chamber was too short to allow said round to fully chamber.
Likewise, my rifle mis-behaved exactly the same way with A-Zoom brand dummy rounds.
In other words, when one guy would hold the rifle firmly and the other guy (me) would wiggle the round with one hand, as I simultaneously pushed the bolt forward, until the cartridge would finally go into position (extractor in the groove and bullet / cartridge almost completely into the chamber, the bolt would not close completely).
Whomever answered the phone, wanted to respectfully argue with me that Kynoch ammunition and A-Zoom dummy rounds are both out of spec.
And therefore, I should have a company known as: "Superior Ammunition" load my cartridges.
When I told him that a friend (our fellow forum member, Cal Pappas) owns an original Pre-War, August Schuler built .500 Jeffery Mauser and that it feeds / chambers my cartridges like greased lightening, and furthermore, if anyone would have known what the chamber specs for this cartridge are, surely it would be the firm that invented the jolly cartridge to begin with, he had the nerve to stick to his original story.

"Custom Shop" ....... right.

Nervous that this same fellow might be the one pounding and grinding on my rifle, I elected to take it to a local Gunsmith here in Anchorage (Andy Hawk) who, I knew to have fixed the exact same issue on a pretty much identical rifle to mine (except for the fact that it was a .505 Gibbs caliber).
Andy fixed it in short order and I now find no issue with my .500 except, now that the dust has settled, I sometimes wish I had saved the over $3,000.us dollars it cost and put that money into my piggy bank, toward another Safari.
Oh well, for the time being, I plan to just keep it and gamble that CZ will eventually stop chambering .500 Jeffery caliber then, perhaps I can sell it or trade it for something close to the amount I have in it.

Anyone looking for a very powerful bolt action rifle to hunt elephant, hippo on land or even buffalo, I otherwise highly recommend the, "5 in the magazine / true magnum sized action" CZ 550 rifle in .458 Lott.
(I have one of those as well, LOL).

Be all of that as it may, I also like very much the controlled round feed version Model-70 Winchester.
One of these (in .375 H&H for instance), would be an excellent choice for today's Africa - albeit in my very limited experiences, over to the world's best big game hunting grounds.

My only complaints (3 total and they are very small ones) are that:
A.
The Winchester action is just a wee bit too small for large bore cartridges.
Even in .300 H&H / .375 H&H, it has to be tweaked and cut a little to accept these plus, I think this size action leaves the Model 70 as only a 3 shot rifle, when chambered in those two dreaded H&H calibers.
Not that I've ever run any bolt action rifle dry when bagging my biltong but, if I'm using a repeater for dangerous critters, I'd prefer the two extra shots of the CZ.
B.
The bolt handle needs to be bent straight down on dangerous game caliber rifles, instead of bent garishly backwards, to point directly at the shooter's knuckle (on their trigger finger).
C. It's very small and petty, not to mention that it is my personal character flaw but, I also think the deeper magazine of the CZ looks more like an "African dangerous game rifle"whereas, the Model 70 looks more like a "deer rifle", I know ...... you can say it, I have issues.

Last edited:
I've been considering the CZ for my big bore rifle, and watching the threads closely. It's obvious that there is a very good chance a new one would need work. Looking at .458 Lott options. What I haven't seen is any recommendations for the Kimber. I have the Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H and I Love It. For the price of CZ + custom "fix it", isn't the Kimber a great option? Would love to hear from some of our experts on here. For a "lower" budget, I've looked at CZ, Ruger #1, Kimber and M70's as initial options. Any comments?

I had a similar issue with a CZ550 in .375 in Mozambique. Following a wounded buff in the long grass and weapon failed to feed after i took a crack at him. Got my attention in a big way!

My CZ 550 in 375 H&H fed and functioned great, but once I had it rebarreled /rechambered to 500 Jeffery it had issues. I spend over a year (not much money) sending it to three different gunsmiths. It is now perfect. I torture tested it many times (100 dummy rounds in various positions at various speeds) between each tweaking. Not fun! But it is flawless now. If I were to buy a new 375 H&H I'd go with Win M70. For larger calibers I think the CZ is a great choice, just don't buy it a few months before your hunt.

I've been considering the CZ for my big bore rifle, and watching the threads closely. It's obvious that there is a very good chance a new one would need work. Looking at .458 Lott options. What I haven't seen is any recommendations for the Kimber. I have the Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H and I Love It. For the price of CZ + custom "fix it", isn't the Kimber a great option? Would love to hear from some of our experts on here. For a "lower" budget, I've looked at CZ, Ruger #1, Kimber and M70's as initial options. Any comments?

TByrd,

Excellent question.
The Kimber "Caprivi" model looks like a sturdy controlled round feed rifle to me.
However I've only examined one without firing it.
It seems that someone who's actually hunted with one in .458 Lott would've by now, chimed in but evidently, such is not the case after all.

If yours in .375 is satisfactory for you in every way except that you want a larger caliber, evidently you will have to be your own advisor on this one.
Here in Alaska, various model Kimber rifles are mildly popular but, I've never seen one in person, with larger caliber than .375 H&H, for some unknown reason.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Last edited:
Exactly why I got rid of my CZ. I never really understood buying something new then being forced to fix everything the factory should have right in the first place. For the money you end up dumping into something like the CZ just buy a rifle that comes from the factory operating correctly.

Exactly why I got rid of my CZ. I never really understood buying something new then being forced to fix everything the factory should have right in the first place. For the money you end up dumping into something like the CZ just buy a rifle that comes from the factory operating correctly.

Can't say I blame you, generally speaking.
But weirdos like myself think of it the same as a "car person" looks at buying some damaged or worn out old clunker, with an idea or a visual concept toward making it into some particular finished piece, that will be superior in some way over "just a car".
Same goes for "fixer upper" houses, compared to one that needs no work at all.

The CZ is a true Magnum sized action (magazine capacity as well) and it is priced new very inexpensive for the potential it has.
Except for their so called "Custom Shop" rifles, selling for over 3K.
At that price, yes they should be absolutely reliable, right from the store.
Strangely, their regular production rifles feed just fine in my personal experiences of owning several in several calibers.

Last but not least, CZ rifles are virtually always scary accurate.
Again, I can't blame you for wanting something to work correctly, right out of the box.
But for me personally, as long as I paid a relatively low price for it to begin with, I'm happy to have my a rifle modified to exactly as I want it, especially if that means only having it slicked up by a Gunsmith sometimes.

Last edited:
I can't disagree with you, esp. if it was a used CZ. For me, I would rather pay more and have the weapon work correctly out of the box. The main reason I got rid of my CZ 550 was the bolt. It was like trying to push it through sandpaper. I thought it would "break in" eventually but it just never did. It was plenty accurate but when I needed a quick 2nd shot I could not rely on it.

I guess in one sense you can look it at as a project out of the box and customize as you like, I get that.

Can't say I blame you, generally speaking.
But weirdos like myself think of it the same as a "car person" looks at buying some damaged or worn out old clunker, with an idea or a visual concept toward making it into some particular finished piece, that will be superior in some way over "just a car".
Same goes for "fixer upper" houses, compared to one that needs no work at all.

The CZ is a true Magnum sized action (magazine capacity as well) and it is priced new very inexpensive for the potential it has.
Except for their so called "Custom Shop" rifles, selling for over 3K.
At that price, yes they should be absolutely reliable, right from the store.
Strangely, their regular production rifles feed just fine in my personal experiences of owning several in several calibers.

Last but not least, CZ rifles are virtually always scary accurate.
Again, I can't blame you for wanting something to work correctly, right out of the box.
But for me personally, as long as I paid a relatively low price for it to begin with, I'm happy to have my a rifle modified to exactly as I want it, especially if that means only having it slicked up by a Gunsmith sometimes.

I agree with you Velo Dog. All three of my CZ rifles are scary accurate and my CZ 550 in .375 will consistently group well under 1 moa with Barnes 250 gr ttsx hand loads.
After the CZ importers fixed my feed issue, at no cost, the rifle is as close to perfect as I could want. The bolt has, after 100 or so rounds, become very slick and I can work all five rounds quickly from the magazine with zero malfunctions every time.
If I had to replace the gun it would be with... another CZ 550 in .375

I can't disagree with you, esp. if it was a used CZ. For me, I would rather pay more and have the weapon work correctly out of the box. The main reason I got rid of my CZ 550 was the bolt. It was like trying to push it through sandpaper. I thought it would "break in" eventually but it just never did. It was plenty accurate but when I needed a quick 2nd shot I could not rely on it.

I guess in one sense you can look it at as a project out of the box and customize as you like, I get that.

Hi again markferrigno,

Can't blame you for shedding a rifle that simply would not "limber up" from repeated use, especially if there is no proper, professional Gunsmith within a reasonable distance.
Totally agree with you on the price of used rifles idea.
It is very unusual for me to buy a firearm, or, car, canoe, pocket knife, fly fishing tackle or even just a rifle scope new.

Buying used items is my way of doing things, as much as possible.
Used large bore rifles are very common where I live and presumably, due to hefty recoil, they often can be had at a 2nd hand price, but in what looks like almost new condition.
The Brno Model 602 Magnum in used status/price but in excellent condition, IMO is one of the greatest bargains, in firearms today.
Sadly, they are no longer easy to find here.

But happily, the CZ 550 Magnum is nearly as desireable (again only IMO) and somewhat common on Gun Store used gun racks, here in my home town.
Heck, I even buy most of my hunting clothes from the local 2nd hand stores around here-LOL.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Can't disagree with you Velo dog if you have the money. I kind of eased my way into the 500 Jeffery having the CZ Custom Shop rechamber/rebarrel my CZ 550 in 375 H&H. I knew I wasn't going to Africa soon, so I had time, but I almost gave up hope at one point. I love my 500 Jeffery, but if I was to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't.

Now I am getting a scared. I just purchased 2 CZ 550's, one very used 416 Rigby and the other a 505 Gibbs from their Custom Shop, nice wood. I haven't shoot them but ordered some factory ammo from Hornady (416) and Norma for the 505. I know the owner of the gun shop who ordered the 505 for himself and has used it in Africa. I asked him specifically about how the 505 feeds and he mentioned that it works great, when I get my ammo I will give them both a run. I did notice in one of the You Tube clips I say a guy shooting his CZ 505 Gibbs and when he was cycling the action, the next round in the magazine fell out and landed on the ground, could be a problem if an angry beast is charging!
I had already contacted Wayne from AHR and he had mentioned that a lot of the CZ's need some TLC to get them to feed properly, which he is very accomplished at. Any problems with either of mine, it is going straight to Wayne, really good guy and very knowledgeable!

I have two CZ's in 375 H&H. My only minor "complaint" was that the action felt a bit gritty. My standard fix is to Q-Tip some JB Bore Cleaner onto the action pathway and cycle the bolt for a while. After the annoying cleanup, the bolt cycles smoothly. This makes a Remington bolt feel like it is sliding over glass.

Yes the 375 H&Hs and the 416 Rigbys tend to feed well. The 500 Jeffery not so much. Your torpedo sized 505 Gibbs still has a better shape for feeding the my 55 gallon shaped 500 Jeffery so it should be better. Wayne is the man! If your CZ550s new work he's the right guy.

Yep, my thoughts exactly. My 550s in 375 and 416 Rig were nothing but problems, of which AHR fixed up the 375 nicely (after another reputable gunsmith failed), which made the rifle almost twice what a M70 cost in the end. Have since met many hunters with the same issues with CZs. Talking to a German in hunting camp last year, he stated that CZ is not regarded as a good quality rifle there.

I no longer trusted the 416 Rigby (which was going to be my buff gun), so sold it. I was so Weary of CZ quality, that I actually switched from 416 Rigby to 416 Rem Mag so I could use the new M70 safari express! I have since bought several M70s and have been very satisfied with the platform at the price. Since FN took over at Winchester, the newer Model 70s are very high quality rifles. Dare I say, I think they are better than the pre-64 M70!!!

I saw one of these in 416 Rigby, and have to admit, they are way nicer than the M70s, have all the features a hunter could want, at a decent price point for a semi-custom rifle; http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=184

Yes, the Germans do not think the CZ a good rifle, esp. when you compare it German brands. I like the Montana rifles. They kind of show my point, by the time you done trying to fix the CZ you could just have spent the money on a nice rifle that works out of the box.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.