CZ 550 .416 Rigby RAFFLE

Probably for the best, a dislocated shoulder would really hamper my summer! Are you happy with the importers?

The importers did their job and delivered it to the door.

They need to get a little better with sharing the process updates on their website. ie. being more clear.

Otherwise, they were spot on. I'd use them again.

My 416 bolt and extractor looks the same. Slight bow in it.
It was very stiff initially as welll, I sat cycling the action more times than I can count with loads of oil everywhere and it is fine now.

My extractor had a slight bend in it like yours. Never became a problem or showed any sign of trouble. They are well built and can take some punch. Good luck.

Brickburn, the next time you have to clean up a rusty rifle try using a product called KROIL. Millwrights use it on rusty parts. On a couple of online purchases that were in a condition less than expected I put a couple of KROIL soaked patches through the bore. Then I wrapped a bore brush in "0000" steel wool, saturated that with more KROIL and ran it through the barrel. After that treatment (in some cases several applications) the bores were shiny and bright. I might add that all of the problem guns came from locations near an ocean.

Although I have no personal knowledge of the man, many AH members send their CZs to "Wayne" at AHR. Perhaps you could give him a phone call and ask about your concerns.

My extractor had a slight bend in it like yours. Never became a problem or showed any sign of trouble. They are well built and can take some punch. Good luck.

My 416 bolt and extractor looks the same. Slight bow in it.
It was very stiff initially as welll, I sat cycling the action more times than I can count with loads of oil everywhere and it is fine now.

Thank you for the confirmation gents. (Now I can leave Canada Post alone.)

I had never seen this before and only had the 375 bolt for comparison and it is smooth as glass out of the box in comparison to how this bolt closes.

I'll start the work on cycling it until it is smooth.

Brickburn, the next time you have to clean up a rusty rifle try using a product called KROIL. Millwrights use it on rusty parts. On a couple of online purchases that were in a condition less than expected I put a couple of KROIL soaked patches through the bore. Then I wrapped a bore brush in "0000" steel wool, saturated that with more KROIL and ran it through the barrel. After that treatment (in some cases several applications) the bores were shiny and bright. I might add that all of the problem guns came from locations near an ocean.

The only real surprise with this one was the inside of the bolt. Otherwise, as advertised.

The bore is pretty shiny now and I'll give it an overnight treatment with Wipeout and then we will go see how it shoots.

Last edited by a moderator:
The stock has now been totally stripped and a Tongue oil finish.

The bolt has now been cycled over 1000 times and the contact points that were causing the noise have become apparent. It is a lot less noisy now, but not as smooth as I want it or will make it.
The bolt will be polished and we will see about some new Jewellery! :)

Anyone know where to find instructions for disassembling the bolt ? (extractor removal etc.)

Now to get a moment or two to see how it shoots.

IMG_5580.jpg
IMG_5579.jpg

Anyone know where to find instructions for disassembling the bolt ? (extractor removal etc

I took my Zastava bolt apart with the help of videos on the internet. It is actually insanely ingenious and quite easy to do. Be warned, that spring will launch the firing pin a good distance across a crowded kitchen.:whistle:

I took it apart to clean and protect before going to Africa.

Now, I didn't look to see how to remove the extractor, but this entire action is really just a deadly leggo project. Have fun.

I can get the firing pin and spring out. It's that darned extractor that had me stumped.
Yeah, that spring thing. Learned that on the shotguns.

I can get the firing pin and spring out. It's that darned extractor that had me stumped.
Yeah, that spring thing. Learned that on the shotguns.
There are videos out that'll show how to do it.
Squeeze down on the extractor, where it's already bent... ;)
then turn it until the extractor moves over the groove in the bolt. Then push it forward off the bolt.
Hope the instructions are clear as mud!!! :ROFLMAO:
Or try this

Thanks Pete. I may just try and roll in the mud after this instruction set.

@BRICKBURN sorry for the late reply, just got back in country, gone for a month. No there was nothing wrong that I noticed, no sounds, or rust. It was spotless when I sent it out. Now it was stored in that box in a closet for a while, so I don't know.... sorry it wasn't up to snuff, everything seemed good when I looked it over. Hope it still turns out to be a good rifle for you

Albert, No issue. Just wondering.
It appeared as though condensation was allowed to stay on the surfaces.
Who knows where it happened. It does not matter now.

I have stripped it, refinished it and just this morning polished off all the high spots on the bolt and got the noise level down (from bolt closing) to a dull roar.

I will be taking it out shooting soon enough and I hope it shoots well too.

Sent four down the pipe at an earthen berm today to see how the recoil felt.
As @Hank2211 says, it is not a caliber to use for plinking.

At 180 yards the dirt clods flying impressed the bystanders. I offered to let anyone interested take a shot. No takers! It seems the close up demonstration of the recoil created an impression as well.

It is a step up from the 375 H&H for sure. Not quite a .450 Rigby, but pretty darned close.

I think I may need to add a couple of spacers for some extra length of pull. My thumb seemed to want to visit my lip for some reason. :)

The next trip I'll actually take a target along and see if I can actually demonstrate some accuracy.

BrIckburn has a 416 rigby and a 375 HH .....despite not catching him young ....much could be made of Brickburn ....perhaps not a gentleman. .though he will always be to me. ..but with a little polish who knows what we could make of that rough diamond

Last edited:
Sent four down the pipe at a earthen berm today to see how the recoil it felt.
As @Hank2211 says, it is not a caliber to use for plinking.

At 180 yards the dirt clods flying impressed the bystanders. I offered to let anyone interested take a shot. No takers! It seems the close up demonstration of the recoil created an impression as well.

It is a step up from the 375 H&H for sure. Not quite a .450 Rigby, but pretty darned close.

I think I may need to add a couple of spacers for some extra length of pull. My thumb seemed to want to visit my lip for some reason. :)

The next trip I'll actually take a target along and see if I can actually demonstrate some accuracy.

Now based upon what I've read on another thread, if you've taken four shots, you have at least another 196 to go (before you get to "hundreds"). Let's assume they were kidding, and they only meant a hundred. Only 96 more shots to take before you can take the rifle on a hunt!

At the rate you're shooting - 4 per session - only 24 more sessions at the range. Just think - you'll be family before you're done! You may only have one arm, but you'll be family!

To stop the sarcasm (which my wife says is unbecoming!), I love my .416 Rigby, a lot more than I loved my CZ .416 Rigby. The one probably fits me better than the other, but loving it isn't the same as wanting to shoot multiple rounds every day.

I'm thinking "fit" is climbing up the scale of importance to "absolute necessity" for this caliber. There is no room for creeping this stock for adjustment.

I'll agree, shooting this caliber at the range all day is not in my future.:V Shiner:

............. I love my .416 Rigby, a lot more than I loved my CZ .416 Rigby. The one probably fits me better than the other, but loving it isn't the same as wanting to shoot multiple rounds every day.

Hank, it just dawned on me. :A Bulb:
Since you are of like stature, perhaps you can share the LOP on your Rigby??

Hank, it just dawned on me. :A Bulb:
Since you are of like stature, perhaps you can share the LOP on your Rigby??
Like stature? I believe you tower over me. Nevertheless, I believe it is about 14 1/8 - 1/4. I can get it exact tomorrow.

Brickburn, I'm 6' 4" . My 404 Jeff (9.5lb 400gr at 2300fps) causes my thumb to contact my lip unless I concentrate. My LOP is 14". I reckon 14.5" is minimum. Thankfully no scope on my 404.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross