CZ 416 Rigby cartridge capacity?

Yes my Zastava 458 Win I think only holds 3, the cz 458 Lott holds five easily.

I prefer the feel of the CZ, the Zastava bolt just doesn't feel as nice to me. I have been using my CZ in 375 for close to 20 years so maybe it is just the familiarity of it. I liked it so much I bought a spare 375, still unfired since it left CZ, and a CZ 416 and 458 Lott. Recently purchased the AHR DGR in 375 as well, with a very nicely worked over 550 action as the base for the rifle.

All of them hold 5 down, until the Big 416 Rigby came along .

I just checked my CZ550 416 Rigby, it holds 4 in the magazine with no issues feeding. It has those small indentations on the magazine wall as well, about 1-2 mm in height. I went to check the magazine capacity as per CZ USA. The site has no mention of the 550 anymore. If your'e interested in another CZ550 machinistbutler, Prophet River in Lloydminister has some that they just brought in. 375 H&H, 30-06 and one 270 Winchester, all in Lux format. Not cheap but soon to be extinct.

Love prophet river! I purchased 4 of my CZ 550 from there . Fast shipping and very good service. I cannot recommend them enough! Maybe it was their description that stated 4 rounds for the Rigby! I wish they carried swift bullets , and woodleighs.

Does your Rigby have the wood stock or the synthetic?

Thanks

Love prophet river! I purchased 4 of my CZ 550 from there . Fast shipping and very good service. I cannot recommend them enough! Maybe it was their description that stated 4 rounds for the Rigby! I wish they carried swift bullets , and woodleighs.

Does your Rigby have the wood stock or the synthetic?

Thanks
Wood stock, pretty plain wood but the gun is a joy to shoot, Its got a couple of scars from Africa but it all adds character. I just bought a CZ 550 in 270 Win from PR a couple of days ago, waiting on the mail. Turkish walnut that looks fancy in the picture on their website. Its sad that they discontinued them, what with Dakota arms in limbo and Montana Rifle in question.

Machinistbutler, Have you tried Bashaw Sports for the Swift and Woodleighs? I have had a bit of luck finding reloading components there. How many and what are you looking for?

I did drive to bashaw last year when I was looking for a 458 win,they had some but had no sights.

I am running a bit low on 458 500 grain A frames, stocked up ok on 416 Aframes but might pick up some 300 grain Aframes for my 375's.

I have got woodleighs from tradex before. Grabbed a bunch of 416 410 grain woodleighs, buy I think they have some of the 350 grain for the 375 I may try. My new 375 has a faster twist so the 350 grain may be worth trying.

I need to make another trip to Bashaw , I got a.great deal on Norma brass for the 458 win there, and the folks were very friendly as well! .

Sounds like another trip t the dark continent coming up:giggle:

Seems like the mag box is the issue. The 416 box with the indents was replaced with the box for my 458 Lott, which was etched 458 Win. The 416 box was etched 375.

With the 458 box , 4 down with no problem, the indents were enough to limit capacity so I couldn't quite get 4 down. With the 458 Box, no problems , tons of room , same as when I tried the Rigby cartridges in the Lott magazine . Functions great, very easy cycling from full to empty with Barnes 400 grain and woodleighs 410 grain

I can't directly use the box from the 416 in the Lott, as the lotts magazine follower is a bit too wide , it won't slide through those indents. The followers were specific as a little different contour for the 416 vs the 458 so I can't just swap them out.

My old 375 has a slightly different shape in the box, but I am hesitant to swap parts out with it as it has been bloody perfect for almost 20 years.

I may do some work on the indents and see if they will allow it to work in the 416, .

Been a fun learning experience anyways .

Seems like the mag box is the issue. The 416 box with the indents was replaced with the box for my 458 Lott, which was etched 458 Win. The 416 box was etched 375.

With the 458 box , 4 down with no problem, the indents were enough to limit capacity so I couldn't quite get 4 down. With the 458 Box, no problems , tons of room , same as when I tried the Rigby cartridges in the Lott magazine . Functions great, very easy cycling from full to empty with Barnes 400 grain and woodleighs 410 grain

I can't directly use the box from the 416 in the Lott, as the lotts magazine follower is a bit too wide , it won't slide through those indents. The followers were specific as a little different contour for the 416 vs the 458 so I can't just swap them out.

My old 375 has a slightly different shape in the box, but I am hesitant to swap parts out with it as it has been bloody perfect for almost 20 years.

I may do some work on the indents and see if they will allow it to work in the 416, .

Been a fun learning experience anyways .
Very interesting?

Took a pic with the 458 box in the 416, I can depress top cartridge with my finger quite a ways, with the original box it was jammed so bloody tight , and canted the top shell enough that the Bolt would slide over it.

I think a bit more filing it should work for or else maybe I can order a 458 box for it.

PXL_20210104_012246741.jpg

I did talk to cz about this. The answer was 3 in the magazine. Somewhere they must have run out of magazine boxes that will accommodate 3+1. Probably did not want to stock those boxes as they were stopping production of CZ 550 SAFARI MAGNUMS CRF.

I did talk to cz about this. The answer was 3 in the magazine. Somewhere they must have run out of magazine boxes that will accommodate 3+1. Probably did not want to stock those boxes as they were stopping production of CZ 550 SAFARI MAGNUMS CRF.
The magazine box in my 416 did say 375, maybe older 416 had a different one, similar or the same as the 458 box? My old 375 has indentations, but smaller than the current 375 and 416 box. The 375 etched box, although dimensionally the same on all.measurements , loses a lot of room with the indentations .

It shouldn't be hard for.me to adjust it to make 4 fit now that I am sure where the problem is. I will post pics if I get it to work. If I don't I will post pics of a baboons behind.

Mine holds 4 down and no feeding problems. The indents are there as a case stop to keep the rounds in the magazine from slamming into the front of the box under recoil. As mentioned most will hold three and the 4th is inserted in the chamber.

I can see the reason for the indentations in the box, but I see no reason they should be so bloody big. My box is marked 375, no where does it say 416. My 458 box is marked 458. I think if I take some material off the huge front indentations it will allow 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg