Customizing the Model 70 Safari Express

They recommend English over Claro for anything over 300 caliber, and Turkish for anything 375 caliber and up.
Interesting, perhaps things have changed, they didn't back when I did mine in Myrtle.
English, Turkish, and Myrtle are very tough woods, and while I have not spoken to Wes about this, it would be common for most stock people to recommend those woods for big bores......

I have a several Bastogne stocks, like the one on the 50 B&M above...... a bunch of Claro, which is probably the weakest...... I have a Claro on the 500 MDM test gun, which has done all the pressure data, load data, bullet tests and literally 1000s of rounds through it and no issues......

That aluminum chassis pretty much solves all busted wood due to recoil issues......... The only thing you might have is some sort of flaw in the wood that can't be seen or something like that, and it could happen with anyone.......

This is an example of the chassis that goes in the stock.........

i-2wZ8FCJ-L.jpg

i-RdnZLXS-L.jpg

i-LtNN7TR-L.jpg

This is three Bastogne stocks I had done years ago ....... Take particular note of the top rifle, that is a 500 MDM...... I want to show you something that will make you cry after this.... or it did me....

i-6VKVcQJ-L.jpg

i-bqhsJMW-L.jpg

i-MDKMZPW-L.jpg

i-MdcVzQz-L.jpg

Now another point about the Accurate Innovations stocks, they have a Steel Pin that is inserted into the pistol grip of the stock as well...........

I can't remember exactly what the circumstance was, but shortly after the Bastogne was put on the 500 MDM I had to ship it back to SSK for something???? Naturally it was packed in a hard case, wrapped in Foam to protect it. Now this was not a SKB or Aluminum hard case, it was a normal cheap plastic case that we send stuff in all the time back and forth....... and normal handling you would never ever have a problem............... This gun was sent, and it spent the weekend in the Fed Ex facility.............. Where a Fork Lift drove over it..............There were tire marks on the box and the case, which was cracked all to crap.................. Here is what happened to my Bastogne Stock........

i-KCwQhLQ-M.jpg

i-nMKJw5s-L.jpg

Never ship anything like this over the weekend.................and if the gun needs something, don't send your damn Bastogne stock, find a factory stock, or plastic stock or no damn stock at all.....

I was not happy....... After several months of back and forth, Fed Ex paid up the full bill....... But I would have rather had the stock........... You cannot replace something like that, each one is unique...

Last edited by a moderator:
I have found that the best way to ship a gun is by USPS registered mail. With insurance.

English, Turkish, and Myrtle are very tough woods, and while I have not spoken to Wes about this, it would be common for most stock people to recommend those woods for big bores......

I have a several Bastogne stocks, like the one on the 50 B&M above...... a bunch of Claro, which is probably the weakest...... I have a Claro on the 500 MDM test gun, which has done all the pressure data, load data, bullet tests and literally 1000s of rounds through it and no issues......

That aluminum chassis pretty much solves all busted wood due to recoil issues......... The only thing you might have is some sort of flaw in the wood that can't be seen or something like that, and it could happen with anyone.......

This is an example of the chassis that goes in the stock.........

View attachment 426487

View attachment 426495

View attachment 426491

This is three Bastogne stocks I had done years ago ....... Take particular note of the top rifle, that is a 500 MDM...... I want to show you something that will make you cry after this.... or it did me....

View attachment 426488

View attachment 426489

View attachment 426493

View attachment 426492

Now another point about the Accurate Innovations stocks, they have a Steel Pin that is inserted into the pistol grip of the stock as well...........

I can't remember exactly what the circumstance was, but shortly after the Bastogne was put on the 500 MDM I had to ship it back to SSK for something???? Naturally it was packed in a hard case, wrapped in Foam to protect it. Now this was not a SKB or Aluminum hard case, it was a normal cheap plastic case that we send stuff in all the time back and forth....... and normal handling you would never ever have a problem............... This gun was sent, and it spent the weekend in the Fed Ex facility.............. Where a Fork Lift drove over it..............There were tire marks on the box and the case, which was cracked all to crap.................. Here is what happened to my Bastogne Stock........

View attachment 426490

View attachment 426494

Never ship anything like this over the weekend.................and if the gun needs something, don't send your damn Bastogne stock, find a factory stock, or plastic stock or no damn stock at all.....

I was not happy....... After several months of back and forth, Fed Ex paid up the full bill....... But I would have rather had the stock........... You cannot replace something like that, each one is unique...
Those are some fine looking rifles, minus the broken stock...That hurts.

I can post pics if you like but many here are likely tired of seeing them. I have a number of custom model 70’s. Specific to your question, I have one in .375 H&H and another in .458 Lott. In both cases the metalwork was done by Gary Junk of Arctic Gunworks in North Pole, AK. The stocks were done by LeRoy Barry of Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. LeRoy did many, if not most, of the stocks that folks brag on Wayne of AHR for.

I will bore you with one photo:

View attachment 426160

The rifle on the left is my M70 in .458 Lott mentioned above. The rifle in the middle is an AHR upgrade by Wayne on a CZ in .458 Lott. The stocks on both rifles were done by LeRoy Barry, Canyon Creek Custom Gunstocks. As an aside, LeRoy did the metal and woodwork on my custom M70 in 7x57. His metal work is on par with his wood work.
Is that the Winchester Custom African Express model? I'd love to own one of those with the drop box magazine. Thats one thing I wish the current Model 70 Safari had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!