Custom Dangerous Game rifles

At least they're 2nd Amendment adherents. Don't know what ammo they were using but their rifles either had bump stocks or binaries. It was mag dumping nirvana.View attachment 460473 I only wish I could have stayed and swept up the brass.

Tell me about it. I like going to the range especially after the local PD has been there training. They shoot in front of the benches out in the grass so no concrete dinged .223 or .40 brass. I have no idea how many pounds of brass I have from the range.

I don't care if people like AR's or other black guns. I just can't help but wonder what affect it will have on ammo prices if people keep mag dumping every weekend, or if you'll even be able to buy a nicely blued, walnut stocked rifle in the future. The takeover of cheap synthetic and Beechwood stocks as well as cheap finishes is mind boggling. The fact that a gun store can stay in business without a single wood stocked rifle says something.

I drooled over it all the way to the cost of that beautiful new McSqueezy.

That’s a bit tall for my current rifle budget even though I’m throughly sure it’s worth every penny.

I filled out the form for a proper MRC in 2018 but did not submit & have been kicking myself since reading news that they closed.

The affordability of the .375 Ruger African intrigues me.
I‘ve taken a fair number of game and 1 buff with a 375 Ruger African. Custom it is not, but a little smith work and its every bit as reliable, as well as tuned to the user. A one gun safari is possible shooting 235 TSX, 270 TSX, 275 CEB raptors or 300 TSX or Aframes/Woodleighs.

I‘ve taken a fair number of game and 1 buff with a 375 Ruger African. Custom it is not, but a little smith work and its every bit as reliable, as well as tuned to the user. A one gun safari is possible shooting 235 TSX, 270 TSX, 275 CEB raptors or 300 TSX or Aframes/Woodleighs.
A one gun (.375 caliber) safari is easily done with just 300 grain TSX or SAF's. No need for the other weights. And if you are looking for Elephant and the T10, throw in 10 monolithic brass solids like the Woodleigh Hydro or CEB's that shoot to the same POI.

Having dope sheets or programs for the other bullet weights introduce the possibility of error. There is really no need for all of that with a 375.

A one gun (.375 caliber) safari is easily done with just 300 grain TSX or SAF's. No need for the other weights. And if you are looking for Elephant and the T10, throw in 10 monolithic brass solids like the Woodleigh Hydro or CEB's that shoot to the same POI.

Having dope sheets or programs for the other bullet weights introduce the possibility of error. There is really no need for all of that with a 375.
Agreed. One zero with one bullet is the ideal situation. When plains game at up to 200yrds and close encounters with angrys are going to happen.… I like a zero on the lighter bullet. When the heavys come into play, i know exactly were the heavy bullet fits and falls. Not a method for all, but I do a lot of shooting and reloading so I‘m comfortable where they’ll land.

My Son's Montana 1999 prints 270 factory Rem 270 SPs and factory Federal FMJs in the exact same holes, so he's lucky in that he can hunt PG or DG (or big bear/moose) w/ the 270s and follow-up w/ the solids if necessary. The federal powder charge is higher, so it keeps up w/ the faster 270s. Now that he's moving to AK, and the price of ammo is only second to fuel, he asks Dad for lots of 375 handloads! LOL

I want a Rigby. I think.

The Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62 is as handy a rifle as I’ve seen that is big game capable. Ours is incredibly accurate and has taken an impressive array of game, including eland and Cape buffalo.

This action has piqued my interest:
Mauser extractor and Springfield ejector. It's gotten a lot of good press but mainly in the long-range, precision community. You can get it with a bolt face of .588", which is big enough for .416 Rigby and .470NE.
This website lists bolt face sizes for common calibres and the Mausingfield comes in a .535 while this site suggests .540" for .375H&H or .416 Rem or .458 Lott:
I don't know if that difference would be significant because I admit I am a real noob about this. But I think that that action in a custom rifle would be quite intriguing just from the looks of it. Its just something that's been in the back of my mind.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.14.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.14.20 PM.png
    475.1 KB · Views: 65
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.14.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-31 at 3.14.40 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 71
I won't be manufacturing the parts but I will be putting it all together and doing mostly everything myself, and I don't watch tv;)

I built my DG rifle..

While I didn't manufacture the parts.. I did do a bit of the machining to make sure everything fit properly, finished out the short chamber on the barrel, drilled and tapped for scope mounts, etc..

I started with an argentine mauser (LR M98) action and an ER Shaw barrel and built a .416 Taylor... I opened up the rails to accommodate the big cartridge myself, mounted the barrel, finished out the chamber, etc.. installed a timney trigger and safety.. finished out a semi-finished stock, etc..etc.. the only thing I had a gunsmith do for me was open up the bolt face to accept a magnum cartridge..

Its not as pretty as a custom build from one of the pro-shops.. but it was incredibly satisfying to build my own DG rifle.. and from an accuracy and reliability stand point I'll put the rifle up against any factory built gun available.. it easily shoots inside 1 MOA out to 100 yards (the furthest Ive ever shot it).. and has never once failed to feed, failed to eject, failed to fire, etc..

My other DG rifle is a winchester 70 in 375 H&H.. while I love that rifle and Ive used it to take a lot of African game over the years.. It doesnt have the soul of the 416 T...

I've had exactly one rifle built from a NIB action. It began life as a CZ550 Magnum action and AHR turned it into a one of a kind 300H&H. I say one of a kind even though a lot of the choices I made were fairly ubiquitous. Express sights, ebony fore end, etc. It's one of a kind in the sense that no one has one exactly like mine. The LOP and the barrel length/contour/manufacturer are just two of the things that make it uniquely mine and a full custom rifle. I didn't do a damn thing except make some decisions and write the check but I still consider it a full custom rifle.

I also had a Ruger RSM rebored to 404J. Along with the caliber change and the appropriate gunsmithing to make it feed/function correctly I also had a different recoil pad installed. I wouldn't call it full custom by any stretch but it is, IMO, still a custom rifle.

Among currently manufactured actions:
1) Granite Mountain Arms African Magnum Mauser (the VERY BEST)
2) Waffen Prechtll
3) Winchester Model 70 (CRF)

Among discontinued actions:
1) Brevex Magnum Mauser (the VERY BEST)
2) BRNO ZKK602
3) Pattern 14 Enfield

This is a Montana Rifle Company .416 Rigby I had built back a couple of years before they wen under. I really like it and it is extremely accurate. I had them shorten the barrel from 24 down to 22 inches added a barrel band sling stud and had the stock fitted to me after it was delivered. Shame they went under. Now I’m pinching pennies trying to get it on a buffalo or tuskless one day. If I can’t do that May try a bison somewhere closer to home.

Attachments

• BB934EB9-8226-43AB-9E70-4C4D097E1582.jpeg
    BB934EB9-8226-43AB-9E70-4C4D097E1582.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 87
Honest question. What makes a GMA action worth the premium price? Is it functionally different from other Mauser type CRF actions?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you