Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club Int.
Hunted
USA, RSA, Northwest and Limpopo Provinces
We were not allowed to be involved in any hunting. I'm not even sure that the locals did so legally, but they did. From your description the area I would have been in was Belje. It was on the Serbian/Croatian border along the Dunav River. (Danube in English). The big stags were common there and could easily be seen when driving down the levy at night.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Namibia - Kalahari, Namibia - Khomas highland
Yes, then, it is Belje.
It is area best known for strongest trophy of red stag. Best gene pool in entire former Ygoslavia! And in his time Tito had best deer management professionals employed there.

Now the area is split between hunting areas in Croatia and Serbia, and absolutely legally huntable!

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Very informative and some interesting customs. Thank you for sharing.

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I spent a bit over half a year in the Vukovar - Osijek - Vinkovci triangle in 1997. The main impression there was wide open farmland, with big and small villages. I recall a drive through some dense forest somewhere south of Vinkovci.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Of course!
There are patches of forests, where Slavonian Oak - Hrast Luznjak, (Quercus robur) prevails.
Oak gives good supply of acorn for boars and stag to prepare for winter, and collect last fat before the snow. Forest gives protection from predators.

Wast agricultural plains, for corn and wheat, gives additional food supply in summer, before harvests in the fall, when young and fawns collect their strenght.

Finally there is wast wet lands area, resting ground of many migratory bird species, and and habitat for many indigenous species.

This wetlands is partially protected area under designation of nature park, but huntable. Here is the link:
https://pp-kopacki-rit.hr/?lang=en

So human agricultural activities, natural resources of forest areas, plus wet lands and swamps give perfect conditions for big, small and feather game to thrive. This is actually the richest game populated part of country.

For hunter - it is land of plenty!

A bit more to the west, there is hunting grounds "Garjevica", which CIC commision declared the best hunting area in the World in 2000.
this is local news on the link (croatian language) but translation I will make below:
http://www.agrokor.hr/hr/vijesti/agrokorovo-loviste-najbolje-u-svijetu-u-2000-godini/

Translation:
The Garjevica State Hunting Ground, which is in the concession of Agrokor, was awarded the "Edmond Blanc" annual award for the best managed hunting ground in the world in 2000 by the International Union for Hunting and Conservation of Game (CIC). Last year's Best Hunting Achievement Award was presented to the President of the Board of Agrokor Ivica Todoric at the end of the annual CIC Assembly, which was held in Slovenian Portorož from May 1-5, 2001. As a leading international organization that brings together hunting associations, individuals, representatives of national bodies responsible for hunting and scientists from 80 countries, CIC pays particular attention to nature protection and in its work closely cooperates with the International Association for the Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Therefore, special consideration is given to respecting the high environmental standards and resolutions of the Association for the Conservation of Nature when awarding the World's Best Hunting Ground. The Garjevica Hunting Ground, where Agrokor has been a concessionaire since 1992, has 15,000 ha of hunting area where red deer, wild boar, roe deer, mouflon and other small game are grown.

Sika98k

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
Member of
Wild Deer Association of Ireland
Hunted
Kenya,Namibia, Croatia, Morocco Ireland,Scotland,Denmark, Romania, Sweden,Norway,Latvia,Germany,Hungary,
I’m heading to Croatia January next year for a driven boar hunt. Friends organise it with a hunting club. Very well priced when you cut out the agents who,frankly, just mark it up.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
I hope you will have great time! Let us know how was it.

HuntingGold

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
My wife wishes to visit Croatia next year (2020), likely in late May or June. I am looking forward to seeing the country.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
@HuntingGold
It is nice to hear!
Do the research, make plan, and enjoy the trip!

Keep in mind, in case you have hunting in a mind: in Croatia something can be legally hunted 12 months per year, hunting season is officially closed from 01st match till 15th April (when roe deer season opens).
In idle months, boars, fox, jackals, pheasants released from pen can be hunted only.

HuntingGold

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
South Africa, United States (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, California and Wyoming)
What species do you recommend for late May or early June?
Is there a guide or outfitter you would recommend for a one or two day hunt?
Thanks

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
What species do you recommend for late May or early June?
Is there a guide or outfitter you would recommend for a one or two day hunt?
Thanks
I must say, that you have chosen your timing well!
First, may / june is the time when sea is warm enough for swimming, and tourist season has not picked up yet!
(Peak of tourist season is between 15th july to 15th Aug)

So you will avoid all the crowd!

In may / june - it is actually my favorite hunt for Roe buck. If winter is a bit longer, then May and early June should still have low grass in the fields, which make roe visible in the distance. (once the grass is high, roe will be hard to find)

So I can wholeheartedly recommend hunting Roe buck by stalking.... stalking is my favourite hunt, but roe can be hunted from high stand as well.
Also, a boar can be hunted as well at that time. However, in may, june - boar is also hunted by stalking or from stand - because big driven hunts will start only in fall or winter.

For the rest, will drop you pm!

Jasonm

Reaction score
@mark-hunter: Great posts on Croatia hunting! Must have taken ages to put that together.
I work for a night vision company and am researching into Croatia's rules on night hunting optics and which hunting distributors or reseller shops are best to buy from.
Could I ask for your advice, please?

Do you know if night-time hunting is permitted in Croatia, please? And if yes, what restrictions are in place for night optics (handheld spotters, or weapon optics)?
Most countries allow handheld spotting monoculars, but some don't permit weapon mount night optics.
If it is permitted, could you recommend which are the better hunting distributors or shops or websites to purchase from, please?

Kind Regards, Jason.

perttime

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Croatian hunting law: https://narodne-novine.nn.hr/clanci/sluzbeni/2005_11_140_2641.html
Google translation: https://translate.google.com/transl...e.nn.hr/clanci/sluzbeni/2005_11_140_2641.html

Article 64
(1) It is prohibited to hunt game:
5. Optical night hunting targets capable of electronically magnifying or converting images, electric or electronic killer or stun devices, explosives, gas or smoke expulsion,

Sounds like night sights are not allowed. Someone who understands Croatian properly may give a more accurate answer.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
@perttime
I am impressed by your thoroughness and research.
However, things change.

Recently, hunting laws has been changed, and are published in national gazette, end of 2018.
So, updated hunting law, in national gazette, nn 99/2018, link:

https://narodne-novine.nn.hr/clanci/sluzbeni/2018_11_99_1913.html

Article 66 (8)
It is prohibited to hunt game:
8. With Optical night vision and electronic sight capable of electronically zooming in or electronically zooming in or converting an image.

But they are defining exemptions, from this rule in same Article 66-24-(3, 4, 5, 6):
-------------------
(3) Provided that there are no other suitable options and that the derogation will not be detrimental to the maintenance of the game population, the Ministry may allow derogation from the provisions of paragraph 1 of this Article:
-------------
4) The authorization for the exceptional use of the means referred to in paragraph 1, items 1 to 18 of this Article shall be issued by the Ministry, with the prior consent of the ministry competent for nature protection affairs.

--------------------
(5) The ministry responsible for nature protection shall give its prior approval within 30 days from the day of receipt of the request.
-----------------------
(6) The prior consent referred to in paragraph 4 of this Article need not be obtained in the case of the use of optical night-vision electronic sights for hunting wild boars, foxes and jackals outside protected areas of nature.
-------------

In original text:
Članak 66.
8. optičkim ciljnicima za noćni lov s mogućnošću elektroničkog povećavanja ili pretvaranja slike
-----------
(4) Dopuštenje za iznimnu uporabu sredstava iz stavka 1. točaka od 1. do 18. ovoga članka donosi Ministarstvo, uz prethodnu suglasnost ministarstva nadležnog za poslove zaštite prirode.
--------------
(5) Ministarstvo nadležno za poslove zaštite prirode dužno je dati svoju prethodnu suglasnost u roku od 30 dana od dana primitka zahtjeva.
-------------
(6) Prethodnu suglasnost iz stavka 4. ovoga članka nije potrebno ishoditi ako se radi o upotrebi optičkih ciljnika za noćni lov za lov svinje divlje, lisice i čaglja izvan zaštićenih dijelova prirode.

Explanation, by OP - me:

Article 66, basic "total" ban on night sights, similar as per law as of 2005, was meant to be applied for protection of big game such as deer, red deer, roe, fallow, etc... And it kept its meaning till today in new law (lex 2018).

Various equipment for observations, like NV or thermal monoculars, etc, not mounted on rifle have been allowed even before. But not allowed for shooting or aiming.

However, this has opened the market for this equipment, and created general public acceptance, up to the level that boar hunting with NV has become ethical if not legal by that time.

In recent years there is explosion of population of wild boars, jackals, and to lesser extent - foxes. Making damages to the crops, other game, and causing road accidents.

Plus, there is wide spread African swine flu in other European countries, and high annual quota for wild boars is recommended by ministry in order to prevent African swine flu being introduced into country, and to reduce the numbers of boars below previously set minimums.

This made the basis for new hunting law in 2018, and exemptions for three species.

For hunting, it is therefore defined as legal for boars, foxes and jackals.
For daylight (or night time) observation anything can be used, including various type of NV or thermal monoculars, which can be fitted on scopes, or just handheld, then binoculars, etc

Local hunting shops legally offer all types of NV or IR or thermal optics.

It is my estimate that, at least 90% of local big game hunters have some type on night digital optics. And use it.

Due to economic pricing, various types of Yukon NV is most popular.

I, on the other hand, still belong to dinosaur clan, enjoy day light stalking, enjoy dawns at high stand and do not own any type of digital, NV or IR optical sights.
But I am exemption.

@Jasonm
I cannot advertise anybody who is not sponsor here, but I will send you pm, with various local dealers and distributors of this equipment.

Last edited:

Jasonm

Reaction score
Thank you Mark and Perttime. Very helpful clarifications.

mark-hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunted
Seating in quarantine, my safari postopned till 2021, I have now time to write about... well about the quarantine, and what you guys probably do not know about it.

So, here it is, how the quarantine came to be!

QUARANTA DIAS”, 40 DAYS, OR MODERN QUARANTINE INVENTED IN CITY OF DUBROVNIK, CROATIA, 1377 a.d.

Ragusan_Republic_Coat_of_Arms.png

City of Ragusa, coat of arms.

Dubrovnik or city of Ragusa, kept its independence through centuries, by careful diplomacy and good trading which included large fleet of merchant ships, which in turn made the city economy flourish.
Independence they kept till occupation by napoleon forces, at beginning of 19century.

So, by that time, they kept status as independent town-state.

It was estimated that by the peak of their power Dubrovnik had 180 merchant ships, 250 captains, 5.000 seamen, to keep trade all over known shipping and merchant routes from middle east, and across the Mediterranean. They had a wide network of diplomatic consular representatives, with more than 50 consuls on missions in most important Mediterranean trade countries.

The records are quite clear, and numbers are known, because Dubrovnik, also has one of the oldest city archives in the World, totally preserved.

Ragusa.png

Area of the city of Ragusa, teritory, year 1808.

With trading with distant countries, in middle ages, it came to attention of city authorities, that first epidemics that spread in town, are related to epidemics in other trade centers around Mediterranean, with some delay.
So, as they reasoned, there was a relation of local epidemics, with arrival of goods and travelers from other countries.

There was not any scientific proof or knowledge at that time about bacteria, or viruses at that time but spreading of disease, transmission, from person to person to person was noted.

Dubrovnik.jpg

So, in the year of 1.377 a.d. Dubrovnik authorities made order for obligatory rule for all the travelers coming from countries of potential disease epidemics, were to observe isolation period of 30 days, on a local small island of Mrkan.

This applied. And this was the first quarantine ever in modern history.

The first rule was for 30 days of isolation, or “trenta dias”, locally known as “trentina”.

It was not 100% proof, but it was effective. As per records, in 1482, the epidemics of plague hit the city with numerous casualties.

However, the method was more successful then any other.

Soon, other Mediterranean cities followed with similar or same rule for mandatory isolation of travelers and imported goods. For example, Venice implemented the rule for isolation in 1423, followed by Genoa in 1467.

Since at the time, there was no knowledge of viruses, bacteria as origin of infection.
Incubation period was unknown and the first rule locally implemented was for 30 day, or “trenta dias”, “trentina”, in Dubrovnik

In Venice they took, 40 days for isolation period, or “quaranta dias”, or 40 days, or quarantine, as we know it today by this name.

As per records, the reasoning was that as per story from bible, Job took self isolation from his community, of 40 days when he was ill to prevent his people get infected by disease. So 40 days they took as per biblical story, and the name remained till today.

The number of 40 has no scientific background in incubation from the plague, in medieval Europe which is in most cases 2 – 5 days, and may vary from 12 hours up to 12 days.

From the first isolation "quarantine"place in Dubrovnik, on the island of Mrkan, the quarantine place was shifted through centuries, and new buildings were built for this purpose, around Dubrovnik

Island of Mrkan, then island of Bobara, (all under the blue sky, no buildings), then the abbey of saint Marry, on the island of Mljet was built. However, isolation place built and maintained far out of city walls could be used against the city in case of enemy invasion.
Turkish, ottoman empire was then present threat, and neither the Venice was too friendly over the centuries.

So, the authorities decided to built isolation buildings close to town centers so they built new lazarets for this purpose, lazaret near Danča, on the west, and Dubronik lazaret on east.

Building of Lazarets was started around 1466, ended in mid 17th century, but it was used for quarantine within present capacity even during 16th century.

By the late era of 19th century, isolation in “quarantine” was gradually abandoned because of the invention of various vaccine by late 19xx. which prevented the spread of many disease.

Today those buildings are used for various exhibitions and cultural events in city of Dubrovnik.

So, this is how modern quarantine, unfortunately revived today came to be. The origin of the name, 40 days, quaranta dias - quarantine.
The history of quarantine came from city and republic of Dubrovnik, by order of authorities as early as 1377 a.d.

TODAY?

Situation today, well, the country is in lock down, quarantine applied again, but the strict measures show its results.
The number of active cases is dropping, lets hope it continue this way.
This is the courve today, 26.04.2020, active cases less then 1.000, red line is dropping. (source wiki)

pandemic line croatia 26.04.2020.png

Latest profile posts

20 day hunt in May 2022 with Zana Botes hard part now starting the wait
Better a fool on his own than a wise man at someone else's discretion
... F. Nietzsche
perry madl wrote on Ignatius of Antioch's profile.
Is your double still available?
I am interested in Safari Animal Paintings