Cool old ammo box

Badboymelvin

AH fanatic
Joined
Dec 5, 2013
Messages
729
Reaction score
2,891
Location
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Media
25
Articles
3
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
4
I4ZVVna.jpg


Hey guys,

Look at this old ammo box I scored today. The previous owner was going to burn it and I said NO!!!!!

I think it's really cool and although I don't have a date for it, it looks reasonably old.

I know its probably not worth anything but it looks really cool on display and it's an interesting keepsake.

Plus I love the .300Wby so I'm glad its on my display case - instead of in the furnace!

Cheers,

Russ
 

Attachments

  • I4ZVVna.jpg
    I4ZVVna.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 622
Last edited by a moderator:
I like it, glad you were able to save it!
 
Are they so rare ?

In the nineties I bought the ammunition for the 460 WBY Magnum in such packs , I still have one with the elephant head , and also have some packs of 340 WBY Magnum cartridges like the one pictured above.
 
How about a picture of the back of the box? Can get closer on dating it with that
 
That is an extremely interesting looking box , Russ ! But I would NEVER recommend a client to tackle a 500 pound male royal Bengal tiger with a .300 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle !
 
Are they so rare ?

In the nineties I bought the ammunition for the 460 WBY Magnum in such packs , I still have one with the elephant head , and also have some packs of 340 WBY Magnum cartridges like the one pictured above.

I don't think they're that rare - just interesting (y)
 
That is an extremely interesting looking box , Russ ! But I would NEVER recommend a client to tackle a 500 pound male royal Bengal tiger with a .300 Weatherby magnum calibre rifle !

Haha! I think I agree... if I ever find myself hunting a tiger I think I'll use my .458 Winchester loaded with hand-loaded 480gn Woodleigh's... (y)
 
Haha! I think I agree... if I ever find myself hunting a tiger I think I'll use my .458 Winchester loaded with hand-loaded 480gn Woodleigh's... (y)
Now , we are talking , Russ !
You know... it is quite odd that they would feature the picture of a royal Bengal tiger on the cartridge box .
In 13 of India's 30 states ... it was prohibited for foreign client shikarees to hunt royal Bengal tigers with a calibre smaller than .375 Holland & Holland magnum .
Screenshot_20200217-144905_01.png
 
Last edited:

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.32 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 211
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.34 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 357
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.36 AM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.37 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.38 AM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.39 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.39 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.40 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.41 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 260
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.42 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 246
  • Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.44 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-03 at 8.03.44 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 233
I think the box looks very cool.
 
I4ZVVna.jpg


Hey guys,

Look at this old ammo box I scored today. The previous owner was going to burn it and I said NO!!!!!

I think it's really cool and although I don't have a date for it, it looks reasonably old.

I know its probably not worth anything but it looks really cool on display and it's an interesting keepsake.

Plus I love the .300Wby so I'm glad its on my display case - instead of in the furnace!

Cheers,

Russ
Check on the inside of the box end flaps. They typically have a lot code that can trace back to date of manufacture. It is indeed a cool looking box that will display well.
 
I owned a 300 weatherby in the mid 70’s....had three boxes of that same ammo, still have one full box remaining.....local store...marked $9.95. Mid 1970. So close to 50 years old...they used the hornady bullets in the 180 and 220 grain. Germain made rifle kicked the crap out of you..pencil barrel.
 
I4ZVVna.jpg


Hey guys,

Look at this old ammo box I scored today. The previous owner was going to burn it and I said NO!!!!!

I think it's really cool and although I don't have a date for it, it looks reasonably old.

I know its probably not worth anything but it looks really cool on display and it's an interesting keepsake.

Plus I love the .300Wby so I'm glad its on my display case - instead of in the furnace!

Cheers,

Russ
There is a fella at the Weatherby forum that collects those boxes. I'd shoot him a message, its probably worth a lot to him.
 
Nice. I noticed the box said the ammo was made in Sweden. Is it Norma?
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,281
Messages
1,571,585
Members
169,376
Latest member
VirgilDupu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top