Comparison: Heym 89b vs Searcy Classic

Mushe86

Reaction score
“Hello all, I’m in the process of selecting a manufacturer to build my large bore double rifle. This has been a long time coming and I want to get it right. It seems to have been narrowed down to two makers, Mr. Butch Searcy and Heym. I plan on using this rifle quite heavily in the years to come so personal fit, balance, accuracy, and over all build quality are of upmost importance. Also, internal mechanical servicing and cleaning on a fairly regular basis is also important. The two models that have caught my eye are Searcy’s Classic and Heym’s 89b. I would love to hear all of your opinions, experiences, and recommendations as they stand. Thank you and looking forward to joining the club.”

Thank you for your comments. In reply to Mr. Pappas, I know of several of their rifles to have some quite severe issues. More than a couple out of the box and a few down the road after some use. I plan on working this rifle quite hard so that is a concern.

Where are you located Mushe? I ask because Heym always has an excellent booth at DSC, and the importer Chris Sells is located in Dallas. If you want to try a couple out, I know it can be arranged (not the weekend of DSC due to the schedule but a time convenient for you and Chris).

I can’t speak highly enough of Heym. My heym double has taken everything from genet cat to buffalo with no issue at all. I have the 88b, but I have shot the 89b and can assure you it’s a great rifle. I also have a few of their other rifles, and they are all mechanically excellent and have unbelievable accuracy.

Their wood upgrade options and especially their engraving are truly fantastic depending on your taste.

If you have the opportunity, I strongly encourage you to try and make it to DSC. A double is a sizable investment, and I think it is in your best interest to get your hands on a rifle before committing to anything and talk to the experts to make sure you get not only a rifle fit to you but also the caliber that will be the most enjoyable.

From a long term customer service standpoint, Heym is going to be the clear leader. Unless you are just really into having an American made double, I wouldn’t put Searcy at the top of the list.

Don’t write off Krieghoff. They make a fine rifle. People either or hate the safety cocking deal.

I’m also really intrigued by the Krieghoff Essencia double. It does not have the safety cocking device. I’m not sure what the price differential would be on an Essencia vs a similarly appointed heym 89.

Essencia Big 5

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.30 PM.png
    7.1 MB · Views: 130
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.30 PM 1.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.30 PM 1.png
    880.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.32 PM.png
    352.3 KB · Views: 124
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.33 PM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.35 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.04.35 PM.png
    898.9 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:
@Mushe86, of the two on your final list I would most certainly choose Heym over Searcy.

As mentioned above, I would not rule out Kriegoff or VC. I realize some issues with VC have been highlighted on this forum. However, all firearm manufacturers have issues at times, like anything else.

Between the two - Heym - not real close.

I’m also really intrigued by the Krieghoff Essencia double. It does not have the safety cocking device. I’m not sure what the price differential would be on an Essencia vs a similarly appointed heym 89.

Essencia is in a different price range entirely.

I was tossing between Krieghoff and Heym and went with the Kgun because of the cocking safety. I’m very happy with it.

I have no knowledge or experience with Searcy’s rifle or Mr Searcy himself but one thing to consider would be the serviceability of the gun when the man retires. If I understand correctly his shop is not a continuous operation like a larger firearms manufacturer.

Last edited:
Heym has the Greener cross bolt which makes it a very strong action. Aesthetic frills can be added to any rifle, but if the internal design or execution is lacking you cant cover it up. Heym is excellent inside and the 89b is as pleasing a form as you could wish for.

“Hello all, I’m in the process of selecting a manufacturer to build my large bore double rifle. This has been a long time coming and I want to get it right. It seems to have been narrowed down to two makers, Mr. Butch Searcy and Heym. I plan on using this rifle quite heavily in the years to come so personal fit, balance, accuracy, and over all build quality are of upmost importance. Also, internal mechanical servicing and cleaning on a fairly regular basis is also important. The two models that have caught my eye are Searcy’s Classic and Heym’s 89b. I would love to hear all of your opinions, experiences, and recommendations as they stand. Thank you and looking forward to joining the club.”

A heym 89b is a superior design over the searcy models.

Add to that, the heym has a warranty that is transferrable, even though they are built to a level of quality that indicates you probably wont’ need it.

But Searcy? Searcy has no warranty, contrary to what you may hear. This is evidenced by the fact that a member here had a searcy that was built wholly defective. It was fixed improperly once by Mr. Searcy as it needed new barrels and a new forend due to factory defects. Not only would Mr. Searcy not fix it, he came onto this forum and stated publicly on this forum that he’ll never work on that rifle again, ever. So not only did he build it improperly and make it worse with a horrible repair job, he then went on a forum and told people it has no warranty making it all but impossible for the seller to get rid of at any price. I think the seller, Matt, lost about $10,000 selling the basket case.

From what I gather, Butch has a real following of “buddies” over on the AR forum. It seems he sells a lot to friends. A friendship is not a warranty. And if Mr. Searcy every retires? Well then even all the friends that bought his guns are SOL.

Buying a Searcy gun for the price they cost, in light of the serious defects I’ve seen in them that he would not warranty, should give you great pause.

Many, many years ago I was able to look at some of Butch Searcys work. I was not impressed. During the course of hunting professionally I have been able to examine, handle & sometimes shoot many different doubles. My favorite would be old English doubles (if they fit), second best would be a Heym.

This does not mean that there are other currently manufactured, and some like the Heym and the Krieghoff cannot be beat for reliability. When your life is on the line a warranty means very little, I want and I want our visiting hunters to have a rifle that works properly 100% of the time. Sadly to often we have to deal with firearms that have no business being in Africa.

Heym would be my choice hands down 88b we have one. 89b I wish we had one in .470, maybe two! I like nice wood, but engraving means nothing. Spend your hunting on more time hunting.

I dont even see a comparison between a Heym and a Searcy double....
Heym without a shadow of doubt....especially if it is a new build......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriBlorm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg