Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI Member
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
Colt Detective Special .38SPL For Sale $850. Buyer pays for insured shipping to your FFL. I accept most forms of payment including PayPal Friend (preferred), cashier’s check or personal check. When Payment clears, I will ship the pistol to your FFL. Send me a PM to discuss and exchange information.

Specs…
1974 Series 3 manufactured in Hartford, CT
38SPL 6-Shot Revolver
2” Barrel
Wood Grips

This gun had a long and adventurous life before I ever knew of it. It accompanied my Grandfather on many hunting trips as his backup. As a result of riding in a belt holster it has some rust and pitting on the frame along with some bluing loss on the cylinder. Also of note is the missing ejector rod knob that was lost long before I took possession of it. It’s been a working man’s pistol and I’m not trying to hide this.

That being said, it is a wonderful little pistol with a double-action trigger pull as smooth as silk. Last time I shot it was in the mid-80’s and shortly thereafter it became mine. It’s been knocking around in the back of my vault since then and I thought it was time to do some spring cleaning…so here it is.

I have a few more detailed pictures for those that are interested. Feel free to ask any questions and thanks for looking.
1650721283024.png

1650721316697.png

1650721362228.png

1650721396854.png

SOLD!

Sweet Jesus, I would have bought that sight unseen, hell of a deal.

I remember that back in the time frame that this Colt Detective Special was made that Colt's distributor required the gun shops to purchase three or fours of them for every Colt Python that they ordered.

Back then you almost couldn't give them away.

FYI - I looked up a replacement ejector rod knob for the buyer...$12 on eBay. :cool: Seems it's a common problem on these models.

I remember that back in the time frame that this Colt Detective Special was made that Colt's distributor required the gun shops to purchase three or fours of them for every Colt Python that they ordered.

Back then you almost couldn't give them away.
Right...and now the same pistol in mint condition with original Colt cardboard box is selling for nearly $2K.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.14 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.15 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.16 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 7.44.18 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
What these old colts bring nowadays makes me wonder what glocks will bring 50 years.
I wish I had seen this sooner.

What these old colts bring nowadays makes me wonder what glocks will bring 50 years.

My BIL has his dads nickel python in .357. If it has been shot, much less handled more than a few times you couldn't tell it. If he ever decided to sell it he could pay for most of a PG safari or at least 2 or 3 rounds of plane tickets. Not to mention the Ruger SA .30 carbine. Lucky b*****d.

It's crazy what they bring but they are superb firearms.

Considerably less than what was paid for them....

A friend of mine's Dad had almost certainly unfired 3" Python in his safe that was found after he passed. It was still in the box, 4 full boxes of ammo in the safe with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JosefaShro

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.