College Student Looking For Passionate Hunter

I had no idea that hunters helped pay for anti-poacher patrols, I thought it was all from the WWF and organizations like that.

Ending poverty is vital to conservation. And if the hunters provide funds for schools and wells, then we need it!

I had no idea that hunters helped pay for anti-poacher patrols, I thought it was all from the WWF and organizations like that.

The NGO Solution. No thought to reality and consequences.
The nets are used to kill the entire aquatic landscape.
1025761_1691494627794910_3507258243417213414_o.jpg

Ending poverty is vital to conservation. .........

".......... the main difference between the poacher and a hunter is that poachers kill all and everything that they can with NO regard to the future of the wildlife, whereas hunters work within the confines of the laws and ethics, all of which are in place to ensure the secure future of the species!" Ivan Carter

Sustainability has to be adopted as a value system and mindset. However, when one is solely focused on day to day survival it is rather hard to give a damn about next week.
Quite the dilemma.

I understand in all organisations, administrative costs are huge and often exceed what is actually spent on the projects themselves. I would really like to see just how much is spent by these organisations on programs that promote conservation and preservation.

Quick search for the WWF anti poaching found little that actually tried to directly boots on the ground stop poaching. The below is a typical article. The second bullet point does say they will speak up for people for people who are "on the front lines" although no mention of what front lome people they are speaking up for.

Is WWF directly funding anti poaching patrols across Africa? Maybe, but my quick search didn't find much evidence. My guess is that they contribute to a Rhino patrol or some other glamorous animal somewhere, but that they do very little for "average" wildlife:

http://www.worldwildlife.org/pages/stop-wildlife-crime

In more than 50 years of conservation, we have never seen wildlife crime on such a scale. Wildlife crime is now the most urgent threat to three of the world's best-loved species—elephants, rhinos and tigers.

Illegal wildlife trade has exploded to meet increasing demand for elephant ivory, rhino horns, and tiger products, particularly in Asia. Controlled by dangerous crime syndicates, wildlife is trafficked much like drugs or weapons. Wildlife criminals often operate with impunity, making the trade a low-risk/high-profit business. Today, it is the fifth most profitable illicit trade in the world, estimated at up to $10 billion annually.

WWF is leading a global campaign to stop wildlife crime.

We are applying the strength of our worldwide network, our influence with partners and governments, and the passion of our supporters to a crisis that is threatening to undo years of conservation progress. The past year has already yielded some big wins like Thailand’s ban on their ivory trade and support from champions such as U.S. President Barack Obama. Join our campaign and help us:

• Push governments to protect threatened animal populations by increasing law enforcement, imposing strict deterrents, reducing demand for endangered species products and honoring international commitments made under CITES.

• Speak up on behalf of those on the frontlines being threatened by armed poachers so they are properly equipped, trained and compensated.

• Reduce demand for illegal wildlife parts and products by encouraging others to ask questions and get the facts before buying any wildlife or plant product.

I understand in all organisations, administrative costs are huge and often exceed what is actually spent on the projects themselves. I would really like to see just how much is spent by these organisations on programs that promote conservation and preservation.

Very, very little would be my guess.

Just like almost none of the Cecil money actually made it to Zimbabwe or Hwange to, I don't know, help save the lions?

@Katie,

I won't tell you that the only reason I go to hunting Africa is because I want to be involved in conservation. I don't go for that reason alone. It is important to me though and my dollars end up directly contributing to the wildlife by giving the operators a reason to make sure that the off take is sustainable so that they can continue to make a profit. I don't have to wonder if anything at all made it to the area.

Katie,

Before answering the following questions I will tell you a little about my background.

I am 52 years old, white male, married, and have lived in South Louisiana nearly my entire life. I was raised to enjoy the outdoors. In my home state I hunt ducks, deer, and small game. I have commercial fished for catfish with hoop nets and trapped nutria. I have also trawled for shrimp, caught many frogs with my bare hands, fished for everything from perch to yellowfin tuna, and have hunted alligators since 1979. I own a houseboat, airboat, offshore boat, bateaux (small flat bottom), pirogues, and kayaks. My wife enjoys the outdoors also. We have two Labrador retrievers that live in our house that are treated (unfortunately) better than most humans. I also do not have a college education and I am a welder by trade. I have made seven trips to Africa with longest one lasting one month.

What motivates you to practice hunting in Africa?

Reading books by Ruark and Capstick raised my interest in hunting in Africa. My first trip to Africa was in the Selous area of Tanzania. It is an extremely remote area and I felt like we stepped back in time. Since then it has been the adventure of new lands and hunting different prey that have enticed me to return. I have since hunted in Zambia, Mozambique, and Zimbabwe. My decisions on where to hunt have also been based on the game management practices of the operators that I choose. This is an excerpt of my diary from a hunt in “Royal Kafue” in Zambia which took place immediately after the “Cecil” story went viral. I am proud to have played a role in paying for conservation of these animals.
“We were on buffalo tracks taking our time through the bush. At one point we had to stop and wait for a herd of sable, followed by a herd of hartebeest, followed by a herd of eland. Without taking a step I saw three species of animals. The amazing thing is that just a few short years ago there was no game on this area. At that time it was not hunted. Since then an operator working with the local community built infrastructure, provided anti-poaching and became good stewards of the land. Hunting is paying for these efforts.”

When it comes to conservation, how does hunting fit in?

With the population explosion in many countries in Africa everything must have a value to be preserved whether it is land or game. Due to unsustainable farming practices more land is needed to feed a growing population. Without protection, animals are poached for subsistence or commercially (meat, ivory, organs, etc) until they become nonexistent in an area. It is my belief there is a need for both photographic areas and hunting areas. It is also my belief there are very good operators in hunting and photographic areas and there are some very bad operators. Money is required to protect the wildlife from encroachment and poaching. Some areas have seen success with a photographic model such as Kruger, some of the areas in Tanzania, and the Okavango Delta. Even Hwange Park in Zimbabwe has difficulty paying its own way and depends on groups like Bhejane Trust for support. There is just not enough money to support all areas with photographic safaris. Hunting fills this gap for many areas. In 2008 and operator took over the Omay in Zimbabwe that in total was 1,000,000 acres with about 60,000 rural Africans living there. Poaching was rampant. In his first year his anti-poaching team collected 20,000 wire snares. Left unabated the number of snares would have increased and eventually wiped out most if not all the game. In the 8 years that followed he has hunted far less game than would have been killed with the snares. He fights a constant battle with poachers but is holding his own.
Much of Mozambique was ravaged by civil war and the wildlife was slaughtered. Since then an operator took over an area called Coutada Nine. It went from being a wasteland to one of the most game rich areas in all of Africa. PBS even acknowledged the success at Coutada Nine in their series on Gorongosa Park.
Sengwa Research is a hunting area in Zimbabwe bordering Chirisa (another hunting area) and Chizarira, which is a photographic area. Basically there is little to no game left on the photographic area and little to no game on Chirisa. The difference is there is a good hunting operator on Sengwa and nobody caring for the other areas.
The Save Valley Conservancy and Bubye Valley Conservancies along with Nuanetsi are all models of conservation through hunting.

What made these areas successful? Basically good operators, practicing sound conservation practices, improving infrastructure such as water for the animals, hunting mature animals, staying within reasonable quotas, and controlling poaching and it was all paid by hunters.

What is done with the animals afterwards?

All protein in Africa is consumed. No meat goes to waste. Depending on the area it is either donated to local communities and in more remote areas dried in to biltong and used at a later date. I have personally witnessed over 50 people reduce an elephant from a carcass to a bloody spot on the ground in a couple of hours. These same people walked 10-12 kilometers just to get to the carcass for a piece of meat. I have seen 10 men walk an equal distance to help carry a buffalo out of the bush so they could bring meat home to their families. Some hunters elect to have animals mounted or hides tanned for bags or cases also.

What is your relationship to the animal?

While this may be somewhat different, I have no primordial connection to the animal. However, I do respect the animals I hunt and never want to see an animal suffer. It is our responsibility as hunters to kill quick and cleanly, even though on occasion I have failed in that endeavor. I also enjoy photographic safaris and admire the beauty of the animals, trees, landscape whether I am on a hunting safari or photo safari.

What can you say about the effectiveness game management?

The effectiveness of game management is directly proportional to the effectiveness of the anti-poaching in the area. It does not matter if it is a photographic area or a hunting area, illegal poaching will ultimately ruin an area if not controlled. Another major factor is the science used by Parks to determine quotas. Far too often greedy Parks officials force extra quota on operators.

What are the locals opinion on hunting?

I have never met a rural black African that was anti-hunting. Can you imagine having an animal destroy your life savings or your annual food supply in a single night? One lion can kill many cattle (life savings) and a herd of elephants can wipe out a maize field in a night (food for the year). Rural Africans see wild game as meat, nothing more nothing less.

What would you say to the people against hunting?

I attempt to explain the role hunting plays in conservation as I have above. The most important question I ask is “who would be the stewards for the animals if all hunting ended today?” Short of a select few popular parks, photographic safaris pay for very few areas. If hunting ended tomorrow in Zimbabwe (and other countries) the remaining wildlife would be decimated. The following is an excerpt from the Bhejane Trust newsletter. The Trust is a true conservation group in Zimbabwe performing great work on the ground. While they tend to be a little anti-hunting I still support them due to their commitment to the wildlife.

http://www.bhejanetrust.org/News_Files/News_Files/JUL15_Newsletters.html

“Cecil has portrayed the hunting industry in a bad light, and this might lead to a hunting ban. Although this will be great news to many, the reality on the ground is a funding replacement need to be found if hunting is to be stopped, otherwise a destitute Parks will not be able to function in the current hunting areas, and it will open the door to massive poaching, both commercial and subsistence, which will eliminate far more animals then hunting ever would. This is the harsh reality and could precipitate a wildlife disaster far greater the anything seen so far.”

Much of Mozambique was ravaged by civil war and the wildlife was slaughtered. Since then an operator took over an area called Coutada Nine. It went from being a wasteland to one of the most game rich areas in all of Africa. PBS even acknowledged the success at Coutada Nine in their series on Gorongosa Park.

Great job Mike.

As an aside, I watched that PBS special about Gorongosa Park. Really well done, and beautiful scenery and shots of the landscape, and animals. While the producers of the show are no friends to hunters I am sure, they did give the credit to Coutada Nine and their restocking efforts for the park. I was fascinated watching them corral those eland to take to the park. Also, the capture of that croc in the cage was some "ballsy" work for sure......

Thanks for your perspective.

So all this is what I did. I made a poster board with a scene of Africa that I painted which kind of ended up looking like a Florida/Africa hybrid....

I made the silouette of a human in the center and made it into a rotating target to be used with a nerf gun.

The target locations are the head, heart, hands, feet, neck which represent aspects of the responses i got. For example, when you shoot the head target, it flips around to show whats in the head of the hunter. Which is that most are conservation minded. Heart is for the connection to nature.

Its called the hunt for truth.

Uh huh.

So all this is what I did. I made a poster board with a scene of Africa that I painted which kind of ended up looking like a Florida/Africa hybrid....

I made the silouette of a human in the center and made it into a rotating target to be used with a nerf gun.

The target locations are the head, heart, hands, feet, neck which represent aspects of the responses i got. For example, when you shoot the head target, it flips around to show whats in the head of the hunter. Which is that most are conservation minded. Heart is for the connection to nature.

Its called the hunt for truth.

Kate, it looks like something that needs a demonstration video on YOUTUBE :A Bulb: with a link placed right here in this thread for some contributors to watch. :A Tv Happy:

I cannot believe I missed this one!!! Anyway, I would be interested to see how this project turned out and integrated the responses from us.

Kate I would be interested in knowing how your report was received. Any one previously not so become open minded about hunting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glucoslime

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.