Clothes list for 10 day SA trip

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
I am going to give you a little different advice. Pack a t-shirt per day and 2 pair of socks per day and leave them in Africa. I bought Army green and brown surplus t-shirt from Sportsman's Guide and cheap socks from Walmart. Fresh dry sock morning and evening and a fresh t-shirt daily. Don't depend on the daily laundry and don't let them iron anything synthetic.

Pack zip-off travel pants that turn into shorts.

Last edited:
Add 3 bandannas to the list small but great for a lot of things ;)

I am a planner so it’s 7 months prior to go time. I plan to pack a carry on and bookbag only.
Area:Bedford
Hunt month:July, laundry done daily
clothes pack list:
5 pair Merino socks
5 pair boxers
5 tee shirts
Neck gaiter-lightweight
Neck gaiter-fleece
Gloves-Sitka gradient
Hiking shoes-wear on plane
2 base layer pants-Sitka
2 base layer shirts-pnuma
2 pair of pnuma tenacitypants
1 pair cqr pants- wear on plane
Nomad solid hoodie-wear on plane
Nomad solid lightweight long sleeve-plane
Sitka jetstream jacket
Mid layer nomad long sleeve
1 hat-plane
1 mossy oak cap
Under armour stocking cap

what would you add or take off this list?
Phillip Glass has a great YouTube video on this that I follow to the letter and was perfect for my previous two safaris it insured I did not over pack which I am prone to do

Check out the Safari Planning Section of AH:

This is Philip’s video-

Crocs?!? :oops:

I'll be the first to agree I am not trying to make a fashion statement - but damn - crocs! You'll be wearing those knee high black socks next. :E Angel:

Hey, crocs over socks are great for walking down to the mailbox at -8F!

Phillip Glass has a great YouTube video on this that I follow to the letter and was perfect for my previous two safaris it insured I did not over pack which I am prone to do
Thanks @Rare Breed
Funny enough I was of the few who didn’t over pack the first Safari. Of course I was just 25 at the time and just didn’t need much or have much. I only had a small duffel bag and my Gun case. The only problem I had was my boots. I just had lace up Justin work boots and with cotton socks after a few days they started to rub a blister. I am, like many others, a proponent of wool socks and two pairs of boots for Safari.
regards,
Philip

Crocs?!? :oops:

I'll be the first to agree I am not trying to make a fashion statement - but damn - crocs! You'll be wearing those knee high black socks next. :E Angel:
Buzz Charlton of CMS wears crocs for his hunting footwear, though I think he gets them resoled with tire treads each season.

1638735203802.png

I made a checklist for 21 days, link below, though includes everything one might need not just clothes. The first aid stuff came in handy when the skinner sliced his thumb open and the camp had run out of supplies and forgotten to inform the main camp for resupply.

My first safari was with Chifuti and I followed their packing list below. It was warmer temperatures than you will probably have in SA as we were hunting in the Zambezi Valley in September. Note: The clothing we wore over on our flight was part of the packing list. For Ann and I we brought the following bags for 10 days hunting and 2 days fishing. Laundry was done daily:

1 large Red Ox Duffle (included locking ammunition case for US to SA)
1 medium Red Ox Duffle
2 Red Ox c-rucks
1 Americase double rifle case

When we arrived in Harrare the bush pilot couldn't believe it was our first safari as most people overpack.

Also, depending on the laundry facilities used, I would recommend cotton fabrics. In Zimbabwe and Mozambique 50 gallon drums over a log fire was the washer. And, everything was ironed - including underwear. The new fabrics don't stand up very well to that type of washing.

. 3 pairs long or short pants (or a combination of longs and shorts)
• 3-4 shirts (long or short sleeve or a combination)
• 2 pair of light, soft soled hunting shoes (well broken in!)
• 1 pair of old tennis shoes for hunting hippo/crocs or fishing
• 1 hat
• 4-5 pairs of underwear
• 4-5 pairs of quality socks
• 1 jacket
• 1 pair of light weight gloves
• 1 sweater or sweat shirt and sweat pants to wear in the evenings
• 1 small flashlight with extra batteries
• 2 cameras (to have a spare just in case)
• 1 pair of quality binoculars
• 1 kit of personal toiletries (inc. shampoo, sunscreen, medications, etc.)
• 1 extra small toiletries kit for the fly camp

Also, depending on the laundry facilities used, I would recommend cotton fabrics. In Zimbabwe and Mozambique 50 gallon drums over a log fire was the washer. And, everything was ironed - including underwear. The new fabrics don't stand up very well to that type of washing.

Agreed. I use the 5.11 Cotton Canvas Pants (they also have 9" shorts). I took 3 pairs to Africa. They are inexpensive, especially if one hits their occasional 20% off sale.

I like their tundra color though they do come in a variety of colors.

full

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.10.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.10.59 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.11.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 3.11.01 PM.png
    482.9 KB · Views: 80
If you’re doing any night hunting for bushpig or other nocturnal critters you may need long jons. I hunted in September in the eastern cape and was snowed on, but like weather everywhere you never know. It was very cold in the kalahari this past May and June, I wish we had taken a little heavier gear.

Maybe everyone should just come to zambia...gets bloody cold at night and in morning in winter...but warms up apparently for people from colder climes....and no night hunting so don't have to worry about that...so no need for those thermals or whatever they are....and if its later in the year...just enjoy the warmth.... :A Thumbs Up: :E Big Grin:

Buzz Charlton of CMS wears crocs for his hunting footwear, though I think he gets them resoled with tire treads each season.

View attachment 440164
Among men approaching the second half of middle age, there is simply no accounting for taste. At this rate, he'll be disembarking from his Delta flight with his boarding pass and passport in one of those plastic things around his neck.

Also, my safari pants have the zip off bottoms. Wear them long to leave camp then zip off the bottoms as it warms up. No need to bring shorts. Or, @spike.t just hunt in Zambia!

Among men approaching the second half of middle age, there is simply no accounting for taste. At this rate, he'll be disembarking from his Delta flight with his boarding pass and passport in one of those plastic things around his neck.
@Red Leg Mea culpa. You made me face myself and the river cruises Ann and I have done in Europe as I shuffled with the senior masses, ear buds on listening to the guide, and the lanyard with the ship's name and my name on it. I'm not sure I have enough scotch to recover from that realization. I need to go to Africa and shoot a buffalo and gain my manhood back ala Francis Macomber!

@Red Leg Mea culpa. You made me face myself and the river cruises Ann and I have done in Europe as I shuffled with the senior masses, ear buds on listening to the guide, and the lanyard with the ship's name and my name on it. I'm not sure I have enough scotch to recover from that realization. I need to go to Africa and shoot a buffalo and gain my manhood back ala Francis Macomber!
But then for God's sake don't bring your Ann! :eek: He did have a "short happy life" - made shorter by a bullet through the back by his wife. Crocs might have pushed her over the edge even quicker.

To get back on the ops question. I didn't see if anyone mentioned ankle gaiters. I wore low cut Merrills and having the ankle gaiters helped keep out dirt, etc.

I use the thin silk sock liners under Merino wool socks when elk hunting and have never had a blister. They're coming to Africa with me. Plus mole skin if a blister were to occur. Question: I have several pairs of tan 5.11 rip stop nylon tactical pants with the cargo pockets. I thought about wearing them on an African PG hunt as they are very light and comfortable. I could put a light pair of thermals underneath if the temperature gets below freezing. Would work?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VenusPined

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross