Clothes list for 10 day SA trip

• Thread starter Deleted member 40394
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 40394

I am a planner so it’s 7 months prior to go time. I plan to pack a carry on and bookbag only.
Area:Bedford
Hunt month:July, laundry done daily
clothes pack list:
5 pair Merino socks
5 pair boxers
5 tee shirts
Neck gaiter-lightweight
Neck gaiter-fleece
Gloves-Sitka gradient
Hiking shoes-wear on plane
2 base layer pants-Sitka
2 base layer shirts-pnuma
2 pair of pnuma tenacitypants
1 pair cqr pants- wear on plane
Nomad solid hoodie-wear on plane
Nomad solid lightweight long sleeve-plane
Sitka jetstream jacket
Mid layer nomad long sleeve
1 hat-plane
1 mossy oak cap
Under armour stocking cap

what would you add or take off this list?

What has the outfitter advised you the weather will be like? Will it vary between the different areas you will hunt?
Below freezing to 75 F. When I looked at the weather this past July it was 20’s a few nights. A few days up to 78 F or so. Usually 40/65.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on what type of hunting- spot & stalk, waterhole, etc., depends on what country.

Regardless of style of hunting and location- you are over packing already.

Depends on what type of hunting- spot & stalk, waterhole, etc., depends on what country.

Regardless of style of hunting and location- you are over packing already.
I notoriously overpack. I had twice the stuff my buddies did when I went to Missouri on a hunt a few weeks ago. But then I never had to waste time like them doing laundry halfway through the trip either.

For my planned trip (7 day) I am only taking 3 days worth of gear save for socks…laundry is done every or every other day there. It isn’t a 10 day back country elk hunt. Minimalism is your friend on safari.

By base layer, I am guessing you are meaning long underwear. I have never, ever taken long underwear to Africa. Yes, it can be cold early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Yes, it can be cold if you are riding in the back of the bakkie. I just don't think long johns are needed or desirable. It warms up fast. Same thoughts about a Sitka Jetstream jacket. Too warm. I use a couple of layers, an old wool sweater and a Carhartt jacket usually. At the end of the hunt, I give the Carhartt jacket to one of the trackers.

If you’re doing any night hunting for bushpig or other nocturnal critters you may need long jons. I hunted in September in the eastern cape and was snowed on, but like weather everywhere you never know. It was very cold in the kalahari this past May and June, I wish we had taken a little heavier gear.

By base layer, I am guessing you are meaning long underwear. I have never, ever taken long underwear to Africa. Yes, it can be cold early in the morning and late in the afternoon. Yes, it can be cold if you are riding in the back of the bakkie. I just don't think long johns are needed or desirable. It warms up fast. Same thoughts about a Sitka Jetstream jacket. Too warm. I use a couple of layers, an old wool sweater and a Carhartt jacket usually. At the end of the hunt, I give the Carhartt jacket to one of the trackers.
Will cut down to one base layer top and bottom just in case.
I did buy a carhardtt jacket but apparently I got the thick one and it is very bulky. I thought it was going to be one of those thinner canvas type but it had the flannel liner in it.

If it fits in the bag you intended to bring it’s not overpacking. However, if you need to bring a 2nd checked bag you need to rethink your choices. I always bring extra if it fits in bag because it’s easier to have it and not use it than need it and not have it. I carry enough to hunt in for a day or two in carry on and rest in checked bag. I’ve never worn any special gear in Africa, just khaki pants, hunting shirt, and a hoodie or light carhartt jacket. When you say a carry on and a book bag do you mean two carry ons? You might be causing a potential problem for yourself with an over packed carry on instead of just checking a bag.

If it fits in the bag you intended to bring it’s not overpacking. However, if you need to bring a 2nd checked bag you need to rethink your choices. I always bring extra if it fits in bag because it’s easier to have it and not use it than need it and not have it. I carry enough to hunt in for a day or two in carry on and rest in checked bag. I’ve never worn any special gear in Africa, just khaki pants, hunting shirt, and a hoodie or light carhartt jacket. When you say a carry on and a book bag do you mean two carry ons? You might be causing a potential problem for yourself with an over packed carry on instead of just checking a bag.
Bookbag as personal item. Carry on that is legal size per United website. Probably will test fit and measure before hand and then cut from there if I need to.

I agree, if you are night hunting in the back of a truck, 1 pair of base layer, a good coat, a warm cap and gloves will be welcomed items. Otherwise the base layer and heavy coat are non essentials.

I've hunted the months of June, July, August, September and October in South Africa and Namibia.

If your laundry is done daily 2 need shirts, 2 pants, 1 cap/hat. 1 pair light gloves, 1 medium jacket and 1 hoodie 2 pair socks, 2 pair of underwear and 1 belt. You'll need 1 shirt and 1 pant and 1 pair of shoes for around camp wear.

You can always double your clothing, if it is cold and you probably don't to change outfits daily other than underwear and socks. Your daily laundry will be folded on the foot of your bed when you return from a day's hunt.

Bookbag as personal item. Carry on that is legal size per United website. Probably will test fit and measure before hand and then cut from there if I need to.
I fly at least every two weeks for work then some vacations in between. There will always be room for a backpack on plane but people (especially last boarding groups) will often have to check their larger carry on or wait for it to get brought to them on jetway at end of flight because no overhead room, especially on smaller regional flights. I’ve always found it easier to check a bag and carry a backpack only as a carry on. Obviously up to you, but that would be my advice. I believe first bag or two is free on international flights anyways?

Gaiters, preferably leather like Courtney's. The pull on and tie are best. Not the suede ones with the hook that goes on your boot laces, they get filthy and the hook snags on things. A pair of slip on shoes for camp after a shower. A backup pair of hunting boots with one worn on the plane (in case your luggage is delayed or lost). Throw the gaiters in with ammo or rifle. Extra set of underwear, shirt, socks in a carry-on. Binos in carry-on.

If you are taking long johns, invest in a pair from Kuiu, the stripper kind. Get them and you will appreciate them, on and off without taking boots off:)

A headlamp and a really powerful spot type flashlight to look for critters in the dark. If not hunting for them, just for fun riding back to camp. Extra batteries, leave any extras behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniata1951

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross