Closest kill

MS 9x56

AH legend
Joined
Apr 10, 2020
Messages
3,222
Reaction score
7,648
Location
Central NY
Media
5
What is the shortest range kill, species, and circumstances?
 
Honestly, a feral pigs at a few feet using a .300wm.
Just how it worked out.
An angry little sow coming at me as I cornered her on a walking track .
 
Hunting with @blacks at 8 yards on his Cape Bushbuck. Saw the ram at about 800 yards in some thick reeds. Vegetation was too high to get a shot from further out so slowly proceeded step for step until we could hear him moving right in front of us. Followed the noise until we could judge him, and took our chance when it presented.

IMG_20180703_112626.jpg
 
Last edited:
Whitetail Deer at 10 yards with my crossbow.

I was in the blind for maybe 10 minutes and just got comfortable. I reached down for my thermos of tea and when I looked up a buck was walking towards the blind. Around here they call it "Deer Magic" when they just appear out of nowhere. The windy conditions allowed me to get into position as he continued to get closer. At 10 yards he was broadside...I "snicked" the safety, he froze and looked right at me as the bolt took flight. I believe the bolt traveled further than he did after the shot. One of the shortest days of hunting in my life.
 
Mine didn’t result in a kill, but…

15 feet, whitetail with a bow.

I heard deer racing on the other side of a hedgerow, and I realized that they were headed for the end of the row. I sprinted to the end of the row and ducked down into the hedge, and as I did a doe ran through the gap in the row. I whistled, she stopped, and I let the arrow fly. Should have been a clean kill, but problem was the arrow broke halfway between us. The sound confused both of us, and where I expected to find blood I found the arrow pieces.

Second shortest was 20 feet with a 20 ga…my first deer. Taken at George Washington’s childhood home.
 
Elk at about 6 yards with a bow!! If you ever get a chance to hut them during the rut/bugle,,, do it!!!!!!!!
 
A bull moose and I caught each other off guard. We had a stare down (I think he was trying to figure out what I was, and I was trying my best to remain as still as possible) and then he ran towards me and right past me! I popped him in the side as he went by. I could have hit him with my rifle!
 
Red Stag at 8 yards. The guide heard him bugling. We worked through the woods and brush to get within 20 yards downwind. He laid down. 2 hours later, he finally got up - thankfully the wind didn't change or swirl. Then, instead of working away from us, he started feeding towards us. I was squatting with the 7mm scope on 3x until he browsed pass a bush and stopped at that distance. I fell over backwards from the rifle kick. He went 30 yards and dropped. My wife got it on the go pro. Oh my.

My ph and I in Zimbabwe stalked to within 10 yards of a bushbuck and dropped him with my 30-06.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,290
Messages
1,571,828
Members
169,423
Latest member
dknoxivam
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top