Cleaning out the freezer

AustinL

AH enthusiast
Joined
Feb 1, 2018
Messages
352
Reaction score
1,088
Location
Kerrville, Tx
Media
160
Hunting reports
Africa
1
USA/Canada
7
Hunted
USA, South Africa
With another hunting season fast approaching it was time to make room in the freezer and use up the last of our scraps so I whipped out a 25lb batch of summer sausage. Still need to wrap up a few batches of jerky to carry through.

73CEF51F-BCB7-42B7-B7BB-9C7AEA09C502.jpeg
3E004D18-A333-4AB7-A62E-B01389ACC6B3.jpeg
 
I gave in Garry...took a stick out of the freezer to dethaw.
I often think that some of these meats have the flavour enhanced after they have been frozen and thawed.
 
With another hunting season fast approaching it was time to make room in the freezer and use up the last of our scraps so I whipped out a 25lb batch of summer sausage. Still need to wrap up a few batches of jerky to carry through.

View attachment 427508View attachment 427510
Can you tell me what Summer Sausage is?

And what is Baloney?

We do have various cured or cooked salami , Metwurst and pepperoni in mad Australia with foreign origins. .

I'm not sure we have summer sausage
 
Summer sausage is a semi dry cured sausage
Thanks,

Does it compare to say , Salami? What is the origin.

I like eating smallgoods. I know many of the "Wursts" are of German origin. Salamis can sometimes be branded Hungarian etc.

I just don't think Summer Sausage is a variety, flavour or type in Australia. Unless known by a different name.
 
“summer sausage” is an American term for any sausage that can be kept absent of refrigeration until opened it is typically a fermented sausage to lower the ph. Most modern versions use citric acid to achieve the same ph reduction. It is not as dried as say a salami
 
AustinL, I agree, "like salami, just a little more moist."
 
look sgreat
on a board with some other meats, cheese and couple beers
 
Made another batch the other day 50lbs this go around with cheese. About 15 lbs with cheese and jalapeño.

turned out great the cheese ratio was alittle high. Will probably for go the cheese in the future and just pair the sausage with a finer cheese

0B5BC92E-B2A0-4FD6-AC41-1FAFDCE2A529.jpeg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Made another batch the other day 50lbs this go around with cheese. About 15 lbs with cheese and jalapeño.

turned out great the cheese ratio was alittle high. Will probably for go the cheese in the future and just pair the sausage with a finer cheese

Do you need a shipping address? :-)
 
That does look good, but I gotta admit the title gave me a bad flashback to when my chest freezer went through a brownout, I had a turkey, two deer, and winter caught pike in it, the brown out fried the motor but it would still try to kick on and cool the freezer down, I was on the road for ten days and when I opened the lid I had a half baked, fully rotted mooky mess, I cried three times that day, the first when I opened the lid, the second while cleaning it out and realizing all I lost and the third time buying a new freezer.
 
You guys are lucky & awesome to have that in your freezer & being able to make it up !

I only have a few chops in mine & the rest is Capes & Skins from Hyena, Civet, Honey Badger, Genet, Caracal & plains game, even have a big Cobra skin in there !
 
So far I have processed 8 deer this season and will most likely
Do another 8 or nine before we are done.

We made 100lbs of hamburger the same day as that
Summer sausage batch. Come February we will run a mixed batch of smoked and dried sausage
 
Thanks,

Does it compare to say , Salami? What is the origin.

I like eating smallgoods. I know many of the "Wursts" are of German origin. Salamis can sometimes be branded Hungarian etc.

I just don't think Summer Sausage is a variety, flavour or type in Australia. Unless known by a different name.
German landjager. Dried sausage that can be carried on trips. I think it predates America by a few hundred years (where the 3rd inhabitants of TX came from.)
 
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,099
Members
169,493
Latest member
CortneyRen
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top