AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
USA, South Africa
With another hunting season fast approaching it was time to make room in the freezer and use up the last of our scraps so I whipped out a 25lb batch of summer sausage. Still need to wrap up a few batches of jerky to carry through.

73CEF51F-BCB7-42B7-B7BB-9C7AEA09C502.jpeg
3E004D18-A333-4AB7-A62E-B01389ACC6B3.jpeg

Ohhh that looks good!

I gave in Garry...took a stick out of the freezer to dethaw.
I often think that some of these meats have the flavour enhanced after they have been frozen and thawed.

With another hunting season fast approaching it was time to make room in the freezer and use up the last of our scraps so I whipped out a 25lb batch of summer sausage. Still need to wrap up a few batches of jerky to carry through.

View attachment 427508View attachment 427510
Can you tell me what Summer Sausage is?

And what is Baloney?

We do have various cured or cooked salami , Metwurst and pepperoni in mad Australia with foreign origins. .

I'm not sure we have summer sausage

Summer sausage is a semi dry cured sausage
Thanks,

Does it compare to say , Salami? What is the origin.

I like eating smallgoods. I know many of the "Wursts" are of German origin. Salamis can sometimes be branded Hungarian etc.

I just don't think Summer Sausage is a variety, flavour or type in Australia. Unless known by a different name.

“summer sausage” is an American term for any sausage that can be kept absent of refrigeration until opened it is typically a fermented sausage to lower the ph. Most modern versions use citric acid to achieve the same ph reduction. It is not as dried as say a salami

AustinL, I agree, "like salami, just a little more moist."

look sgreat
on a board with some other meats, cheese and couple beers

Made another batch the other day 50lbs this go around with cheese. About 15 lbs with cheese and jalapeño.

turned out great the cheese ratio was alittle high. Will probably for go the cheese in the future and just pair the sausage with a finer cheese

0B5BC92E-B2A0-4FD6-AC41-1FAFDCE2A529.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Made another batch the other day 50lbs this go around with cheese. About 15 lbs with cheese and jalapeño.

turned out great the cheese ratio was alittle high. Will probably for go the cheese in the future and just pair the sausage with a finer cheese

Do you need a shipping address? :)

That does look good, but I gotta admit the title gave me a bad flashback to when my chest freezer went through a brownout, I had a turkey, two deer, and winter caught pike in it, the brown out fried the motor but it would still try to kick on and cool the freezer down, I was on the road for ten days and when I opened the lid I had a half baked, fully rotted mooky mess, I cried three times that day, the first when I opened the lid, the second while cleaning it out and realizing all I lost and the third time buying a new freezer.

You guys are lucky & awesome to have that in your freezer & being able to make it up !

I only have a few chops in mine & the rest is Capes & Skins from Hyena, Civet, Honey Badger, Genet, Caracal & plains game, even have a big Cobra skin in there !

So far I have processed 8 deer this season and will most likely
Do another 8 or nine before we are done.

We made 100lbs of hamburger the same day as that
Summer sausage batch. Come February we will run a mixed batch of smoked and dried sausage

Thanks,

Does it compare to say , Salami? What is the origin.

I like eating smallgoods. I know many of the "Wursts" are of German origin. Salamis can sometimes be branded Hungarian etc.

I just don't think Summer Sausage is a variety, flavour or type in Australia. Unless known by a different name.
German landjager. Dried sausage that can be carried on trips. I think it predates America by a few hundred years (where the 3rd inhabitants of TX came from.)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123winmarketing

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross