Choice of caliber

James Adamson

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I have my firearms license coming up for renewal in April and I am thinking about applying for another caliber. After our trip to Namibia last year, all I can think about is planning the next trip and what to bring. I have been thinking about a applying for a .338 win mag. I think a .338 win mag and my 30-06 would be a nice combo for PG but would love to know what you guys think.

Any info or advice gratefully received

Why not 375? Then you’d be covered for anything. 338 is a great round, but 375 can do a little more.

Agree with this. You’d now have a legal caliber for DG but also a great caliber for the larger PG.

I’d go 9.3 or 375, 375 really is Jack of all trades. It is DG legal and with lighter pills great on deer and pigs and can reach out quite a ways.

Very fine choices . The .30-06 Springfield and the .338 Winchester magnum are classic hunting cartridges. Between those 2 , I would personally opt for the .338 Winchester magnum . I also 2nd Master @Wyatt Smith in his opinion . Why do you not go for a .375 Holland & Holland magnum ? That way , should you ever find yourself wanting to hunt dangerous game , you can do so in a pinch , as you already possess a .30-06 Springfield calibre rifle for plains game.

338 win mag is a good round, the .340 Weatherby is one big step up from it. I will never go back to the .338 win.
You did say PG and didn't mention DG, so there is no need for the .375

Why not 375? Then you’d be covered for anything. 338 is a great round, but 375 can do a little more.

+1 on this statement for me also!

At 10 pounds minimum, I think the 375hh is an awful heavy scoped rifle to carry around all day, but I then again I have some neck and shoulder problems.

With the 338 there are more options available to get the weight down. If course with that comes recoil.

If you think you want to hunt dg someday, you might consider the 375hh. If not and you want something a little more carry friendly, then I think the 338 works for what you want.

If you normally shoot 150gr and 165gr out the 30-06, you might even consider a 300 win mag for 180gr bullets on larger game. I think there is enough upgrade to make it worth it.

Second the 375. You have a good pg rifle in the 06. If you are considering a second caliber, go 375. It's good for pg and you're covered for dg if and when.

Thanks for all the input guys.

I cant see me doing any DG hunting any time soon but when I do I would love to do it with a 458 lott, that's why I was thinking on something bigger than 30-06 but not as big as 375 H&H.

I did think about 300 win mag but it's too close to the 30-06 for the police here to allow.

I do fancy a 9.3x62 but the rifle I am looking at doesn't come in that caliber.

Keep the suggestions coming though

Last edited:
Excellent choice IMO. I think is the .338 wm is the most versatile big game caliber available. That said, along with your 30-06 should have PG and large game all covered up to Africa DG.
Then when you are ready for an Africa Dangerous game caliber the next logical step is a 416 or 458 and you will have everything covered.

I'm "that guy". I firmly believe that the 338 win mag, with proper the bullet and bulletplacement, can successfully kill anything on 2 or 4 legs.. Although the same can be said about the 7mm mauser. It's whatever you can handle and what you feel most comfortable with.

I have my firearms license coming up for renewal in April and I am thinking about applying for another caliber. After our trip to Namibia last year, all I can think about is planning the next trip and what to bring. I have been thinking about a applying for a .338 win mag. I think a .338 win mag and my 30-06 would be a nice combo for PG but would love to know what you guys think.

Any info or advice gratefully received
338 Winchester is excellent and so is the 30/06. Make sure you choose premium bullets.
I like 225 grain bullets in the 338 and 180 grain bullets in the 30/06.

Exactly......then when ready to hunt DG.....the OP is ready!

I do fancy a 9.3x62 but the rifle I am looking at doesn't come in that caliber
Exactly what rifle are you looking at that doesn't come in a 9.3 or 375?
After joining this forum, you may be adjusting your rifle shopping expectations.

I would also agree with most of the people above who have suggested the 375H&H (my personal choice) or 9.3x62.
The 375H&H in Africa is about as common a 30-06 in the US and almost anyone can learn to shoot one well.
Another positive note is that if you picked up a 375, there is enough gap to justify the 458WM you mentioned.

One thing I did forget to add...

The 30-06 and 375H&H is a classic African 2-rifle battery.

If you are contemplating ever hunting DG, I wholeheartedly agree with others that the .375 is the route to go. If, as you indicated, PG is your sole goal, your ‘06 can take ‘em all. However, for eland and maybe zebra and some of the larger antelope, you may want something with a more punch. For those, any of the .338 magnums or the 9.3x62 would be great for the job.
Just an FYI... I am very partial to .338 magnums for non dangerous critters of 500 pounds and larger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg