Choice between 2 rifles for Africa

The 140 grain in Barnes TSX is plenty.

Take them both that way you will have a back up in the event that you have a problem with one. As to which one to use: use the one that you shoot best.

I would recommend the .308 because you can get the larger bullets. I took a .300 H&H Mag with 200gr Nosler Partitions, and my Brother took a 300 win mag with 200gr Swift A-frames. The PH was not too happy when I arrived with Partitions and said I should have gone with Barnes, but when I left he was very pleased with their performance. We took 2 Kudu, 3 Gemsbok, 1 Red Hartebeest, and 2 Springbok in Namibia.

The flatter trajectory of the smaller bullets will be wasted. I like the added bullet weight, and still plenty fast in the .308.

Set Zero for 200, and away you go!

You'll notice a lot of prejudice against anything .270 bore here. Both the .308 and the .270 Win, either original or WSM are good rounds. More power and flatter flight with the WSM, a bit more diameter and weight with the .308. Do some research and come up with the heaviest bullet you can in the .277 bore and you will be well armed. Yes, the potential for losing your ammo is always there in which case the .308 would be easier to replace but one takes their chances in all things. Weigh all the pros and cons first.

I own & shoot both those calibers; If you are equally accurate & confident w/both rifles, IMO I'd go w/.308 with a heavy bonded bullet. I hunted large plainsgame in Namibia with an '06 and a .375 H&H (PH's guns) The .375 killed them quicker & cleaner, I'd always opt for the largest caliber, within reason.

Hi
Definitely take your .308.

All African animals are tough, especially the Oryx.

A good heavy bullet for it, that will expend it's energy in the animal, not zip through.

Good hunting !

All best

Tony

I say both are too light to handle marginal shot angles remember you pay for wounded game in africa if it bleeds you bought it weather you recover it or not. So that being said opt for a 300 something 338 something or a 375H&H. its better to be overgunned than on the edge of just barrley enough. The real truth is all of your shots are not going to be perfect broadside 100yd propositions.Shoot the heavyist caliber you can be accurate with.Why would you fly 1000s of miles to africa pay daliy fees trophy fees tips and lodging costs and bring a marginal caliber rifle?

I agree with you BARTFRNCS, but a bigger gun is only better if you can shoot as well with it as you can with a smaller one.
So as you say. Shoot the heaviest caliber you can be accurate enough with in all situations and don't shoot if you are not confident about the shot.

I have been doing lots of tracking jobs for other hunters with and without my tracking dogs and after tracking lots of wounded and dead animals I have learned that shot placement and bullet quality is much more important than the size and speed of the bullet.

BARTFRNCS,

Hi there. I agree, one should use the largest calibre with which you are most accurate, its quite simple and very true. You have hit the mark with your statement about heavier calibre being best especially to ensure a clean dispatch and no wounded trophies that would still have to be paid for. Though you underestimate the .308 calibre too much in my opinion. It is not too light for the game mentioned especially with premium grade bullets nor should it be considered underpowered for such game. One will fair quite well with this calibre rifle on a safari abroad and need not worry, what counts anywhere in the world is shot placement- not to say one should take a buffalo with a .22. The .308 is flat enough, fast enough, hits hard enough, and is as good as any to handle marginal shots because it is a pretty accurate and 'spicy' cartridge in general. Ask any southern African national which calibre one will most likely find in the gun safes of farmers, hunters, outfitters...

I too think the .300, .338, .375 is a good bet, but the .308 is a proven calibre against African game that's stood the test.

All the best,

I say both are too light
to handle marginal shot angles remember you pay for wounded game in africa if it bleeds you bought it weather you recover it or not. So that being said opt for a 300 something 338 something or a 375H&H. its better to be overgunned than on the edge of just barrley enough. The real truth is all of your shots are not going to be perfect broadside 100yd propositions.Shoot the heavyist caliber you can be accurate with.Why would you fly 1000s of miles to africa pay daliy fees trophy fees tips and lodging costs and bring a marginal caliber rifle?

While you can kill a buff with a 22 you have to be in range! For my money give me a 375H&H 270gr @2700fps death at any reasonable range.

Either rifle would be fine. There is an advantage with the .308 with heavier bullets and also if you and your ammo were to be seperated during travel over, you are probably not going to readily find any 270 WSM ammo anywhere.

Pick a good bonded bullet of your choice, i.e. Nosler Partition, Swift A-Frame, Barnes TTSX, and see how they shoot in your rifle. I would stay on the heavier scale for each caliber 150 for the 270 and 180 for the 308. Once you find the right combination that shoots well, practice, practice and more practice off of shooting sticks.

Also practice shooting sitting and from other postions and the sticks at different ranges. This sounds a bit odd but jog in place for a few minutes, empty handed of course, to get your heart and breathing rate increased, similar to the excitement of a long stalk on an animal and practice shooting from different positions. Hope this helps.

That is sound advice.

Either rifle will work fine. I would take both. My last trip over I took a 300 Win Mag and 7mm-08 using 180 gr Barnes TSX and 140 gr Nosler Partitions, respectively.

In 2010, a friend of mine took his 270 WSM and a 243 Win. He used the 270 WSM the most and dropped all of the animals you mentioned with the exception of the kudu, which he didn't really hunt.

Whichever you take, make sure you're using premium bullets. I personally like the Barnes TSX and TTSX bullets after having used them for a few years now, but anything like a Nosler Partition, Swift A-frame, North Fork, Woodleigh, etc. should serve you well.

African animals don't wear kevlar, put the bullet where it belongs and smile pretty for the camera!

Good luck on your hunt!!!

I feel that either choice will work fine, I would use premium bullets (i.e. Nosler Partion; Swift A-Frame; Barnes Triple Shock, and would would favor the heavy ones, 180g in the .308, 170g in the .270 (if it's available)

After reading this thread, I think if you really want to take the 270WSM, then why not take them both.? At least that way if the ammo gets lost in transit, you could still get 308 locally. Just the extra cost of the additional rifle.

I speak from great familiarity of the 7.62x51mm. I served as a infantryman using this cartrige on 3 continentns it is not the panacia that is described here. It has a rainbow terjectery after 300 yards and is not good at carring heavy bullets to thier target. IT DOES NOT KILL EFFECTIVELY PIERIOD!

I dont think anyone here espoused it as a "panacea". Its "trajectory" is no worse than most and who does much big game shooting beyond 300 yards? Within those parameters its fine. And if it is no good why did the military bring it back to augment the 5.56 as limited standard in particular for long range sniping? Its a fine "cartridge" for any "continent" and has its limitations just like all of them. What would you suggest?

Not trying to start an argument but the US millitary uses 50bmg for anything past a few hundred meters. The fact is I took my last Eland @420 lazered meters not many people I know can effectively shoot that far but why limit yourself? Why would you place limitations on yourself if your only chance at a good animal is over 300meters away.

I dont disagree with any of that. Its just that your tirade against the .308 left me sort of perplexed. I dont think most hunters would attempt to shoot any animal at over 400 yards, certainly not me, regardless my cartridge. And yes while its true the .50 BMG is a much better long range round (when available) than the mere .308 or even the .300 Win mag. I doubt it is what most snipers or DM's carry in the field, and many, many long range shots well over 300 yards have been recorded in combat on every continent since the 60's. So to say it wont carry its weight just doesn't square with history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross