Chapius Iphisi 375h&h

@Just Gina has a $3100 scope and $800 mount on there because that's what she wanted. She has issues in twilight and also wanted the 8x power.. However to the points @Tom Leoni made, the rifle is intended to be a low cost but high quality and very effective double rifle to do serious hunting with.

He designed it with the intention of using $80 Talley scope mounts and there is no reason a $1000 1-6 scope such a Trijicon or Leupold wouldn't be very effective. Or a $500 VXR or VX 3 for that matter.

And being a 375 H&H, ammo is much more readily available and lower cost than typical Double Rifle ammo.

You should be able to get into this rifle for about $11k scoped if you want to;) And bought through George at least, it has a lifetime warranty:)

As a neophyte in double rifles, I find this picture of the jeweled, "faces" of the barrel, that close to the standing breech very interesting. Also, the pictures of the "action bar" that moves in the action to facilitate lockup. Now I know why my gunsmith tells me that the Chapuis is the most reliable and consistent design.

Thank you @ActionBob , @Just Gina , @Tom Leoni, @ Kevin Peacocke, and all others for this discussion.

As I said on another thread I had a good look at this rifle at sci , and was very impressed with it...Nice and slim and well balanced...and not heavy. And had good chat with tom .....and I did really like the 450/400s as well.... :A Thumbs Up:

One thing on the Iphisi that I may have missed - what ammunition was it regulated with? The other reason I am interested in this double for young learner PH's is that the factory ammunition is far more easily available and cheaper. Two commodities are short in a learner PH's life and those are time and money, they just don't have the time for load development.

One thing on the Iphisi that I may have missed - what ammunition was it regulated with? The other reason I am interested in this double for young learner PH's is that the factory ammunition is far more easily available and cheaper. Two commodities are short in a learner PH's life and those are time and money, they just don't have the time for load development.
I want to say they’re regulated with the 300 gr Hornady DGX load

Not yet but seeing it will be purchasing after my upcoming trip in May. I will wait till after to allow budget for other animals and see where at financially when I return.
Take really good pictures instead of taxidermy;)

@Tom Leoni ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.14 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.14 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.15 AM.png
    427.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.17 AM.png
    875.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.11.20 AM.png
    525.8 KB · Views: 53
No machining for the scope. The rib has removable blocks for that scope mount which is readily available. It is a pretty standard scope mount for a double or drilling. Or on the Iphisi you can use Tally non QD mounts for much less money. See @Tom Leoni comments.

The rib was machined to accept a QD RMR mount to give Gina ultimately flexibility in sighting options;) See the pictures with the little little slit cut in the rib. She has a RMR for her 450/400NE so can now also mount that on this rifle.

Gina loves her "Jewelry Scopes" but after visiting with and looking through it, I would strongly consider a Zeiss. @Esoteric Junkie brought samples to the AH dinner in Nashville. Very impressive glass and especially the illumination.
Bob,
Glad you, or should I say Gina, have the Iphisi back in hand and ready for action! The Zeiss V8 1.1-8x would be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet on that rig. Let me know when you want to take the plunge:).

The new Zeiss V8's now have a 30mm tube diameter with the exception of the 4.8-30x60 which has a 34mm tube diameter.

Esoteric Junkie

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.12.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.12.56 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.00 AM.png
    649.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.05 AM.png
    700.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 9.13.09 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:
@Tom Leoni
Hi Tom!
I purchased an Elan 450/400 NE. The action was very tight. It also pitched the brass really far! JJ did an action job and trimmed the ejector springs, which also makes the action easier to close. He cut the stock to my LOP, added 1 mercury recoil reducer, and cut slits in the rib and installed his very nice quick detach RMR mount.

Planning to do the same things to the Iphisi plus add a scope. I am currently trying to decide which scope to mount and which mounts to use. JJ is recommending a pivot mount. I like the idea of some sort of QD scope mount.

What would your recommendation be? I actually wish I would have had 2 mercury tubes installed in the 450/400, which was George’s suggestion. I will probably hand load for this rifle and download a bit from the Hornady loads.
Hi Gina; Came across this thread and am very interested in your Chapuis experience(s). First, congrats on obtaining the elusive "Iphisi" model! Beautiful piece and I love the longer barrels. Question on your Chapuis Elan though. George Caswell suggested that you put two recoil reducers into the stock? I am asking because I am thinking of the Elan in 470 NE. It didn't occur to me to add a recoil reducer and I trust George's advice. Did the one in yours change the balance in any way? Thank you. Steve

Hi Gina; Came across this thread and am very interested in your Chapuis experience(s). First, congrats on obtaining the elusive "Iphisi" model! Beautiful piece and I love the longer barrels. Question on your Chapuis Elan though. George Caswell suggested that you put two recoil reducers into the stock? I am asking because I am thinking of the Elan in 470 NE. It didn't occur to me to add a recoil reducer and I trust George's advice. Did the one in yours change the balance in any way? Thank you. Steve
@Tiger2001
Hi Steve!
Thank you! Regarding the Elan, yes, of course it does change the balance some. George suggested I put 2 reducers in, JJ suggested one. I went with one. I wish I would have put two in. I can always take the reducer out to hunt if I want. Doubt I will.
The barrels on my 450/400 are ~2” longer than the 470. So I think the reducer helps the balance. And some of the weight is taken away also, because I had a couple inches cut off the stock as well.
If I can answer any other questions please let me know. :giggle:
Gina

I bought a Chapuis Elan from George and as he said "Shot it first before adding a recoil reducer, it might recoil as bad as you think " and he was right! After shooting it I don't think it kicks bad at all!

I bought a Chapuis Elan from George and as he said "Shot it first before adding a recoil reducer, it might recoil as bad as you think " and he was right! After shooting it I don't think it kicks bad at all!
What calibre did you buy 358?

@Tiger2001
Hi Steve!
Thank you! Regarding the Elan, yes, of course it does change the balance some. George suggested I put 2 reducers in, JJ suggested one. I went with one. I wish I would have put two in. I can always take the reducer out to hunt if I want. Doubt I will.
The barrels on my 450/400 are ~2” longer than the 470. So I think the reducer helps the balance. And some of the weight is taken away also, because I had a couple inches cut off the stock as well.
If I can answer any other questions please let me know. :giggle:
Gina
Thank you Gina! I am curious as to your impressions of the Iphisi when you receive it. I'm trying to decide between the Iphisi and the Elan. My head says go with the Iphisi. More practical on all levels. My heart of course says go for the Elan in .470... Since you seem to own both Chapuis models, I value your feedback and advice!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg