AH enthusiast
Reaction score
I worked up to 64 grains behind the 250 grain Hornaday Interlock
Next I will check accuracy at 200 yards
Velocities were 2742 and 2748 FPS

20210809_162323.jpg
20210809_162421.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! That's moving out of the Whelen! Pretty rifle.

I also am using CFE223 but with the speer 250 hot cor in a whelen. Have to check my notes as to powder charge, but I settled on 2450f/s as my best accuracy load in my cooper with nosler cases. I was hoping for a little more velocity with the accuracy, but when I killed two whitetails with it last year, it looked like someone jerked a rug out from under them! I found out the 35 bore kills emphatically. The more I mature as a reloader, the more I am realizing things don't need to be pushed to work.

I shot several hundred rounds this summer prairie dog shooting in SD loaded with cfe223 (223rem) and I am a believer in the copper fouling eraser! Bore was very clean every evening, minimal cleaning involved and my accuracy seemed to maintain all day.

Edit: great 200yd groups as well!

Wow! That's moving out of the Whelen! Pretty rifle.

I also am using CFE223 but with the speer 250 hot cor in a whelen. Have to check my notes as to powder charge, but I settled on 2450f/s as my best accuracy load in my cooper with nosler cases. I was hoping for a little more velocity with the accuracy, but when I killed two whitetails with it last year, it looked like someone jerked a rug out from under them! I found out the 35 bore kills emphatically. The more I mature as a reloader, the more I am realizing things don't need to be pushed to work.

I shot several hundred rounds this summer prairie dog shooting in SD loaded with cfe223 (223rem) and I am a believer in the copper fouling eraser! Bore was very clean every evening, minimal cleaning involved and my accuracy seemed to maintain all day.

Edit: great 200yd groups as well!

My extreme spread closed to perfection at 64 Grains of CFE223. Actually Speer's top load is 64.1
The velocity was more than I anticipated

There is still powder fouling though... I clean a gun after every shoot regardless whether 1 shot or 50. Someone has to keep Hoppes in business!

There is still powder fouling though... I clean a gun after every shoot regardless whether 1 shot or 50. Someone has to keep Hoppes in business!
@sestoppelman
All I do to clean most of my rifles is run a nylon brush thru them a few times and forward with a couple of dry patches followed by a patch soaked in INOX. Patch out before using. When accuracy starts to drop of I then give them a proper clean.
We have been in lock down so long I've taken to using Hoppes No9 as after shave just to remind me of the smell of a rifle.
Bob
We have just had news there is no clear end to our lockdown and that's after 9 weeks already.

Sorry to hear about the continued lockdown. That really sucks. I remember when my local range was shut down for some months early on in this crap. I about went nuts!
Hoping they dont feel compelled to do that again anytime soon or ever.
You may as well ship all your CFE223 to my house since you wont be having any use for it in the near term! LOL.:A Outta::A Stirring::giggle:

No sir my rifle start life as a 30-06 and I had the barrel rebored to 35 Whelen
That is a beautiful gun. I did the same thing with a Winchester M70 that has great wood, or rather I had it re-barrelled. Unfortunately the gunsmith (who had an excellenct reputation) gave it to his son (I believe) to chamber. The chamber looks like it was cut with a chisel. 50% of cases would stick in the chamber, some so bad that I had to take it to a gun smith to have removed. The first gunsmith has shut down business...
It is out to another gunsmith right now to be re-chambered. Unfortunately, they are waiting for a new lathe that is coming from China and is held up at the port because of a) COVID and b) that freighter that ran aground in the Suez and backed up everything.

Sorry to hear about the continued lockdown. That really sucks. I remember when my local range was shut down for some months early on in this crap. I about went nuts!
Hoping they dont feel compelled to do that again anytime soon or ever.
You may as well ship all your CFE223 to my house since you wont be having any use for it in the near term! LOL.:A Outta::A Stirring::giggle:
@sestoppelman
Would love to mate but I lost your adress and I left my crayons on the heater so can't write now.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg